Work out early and have not eaten much breakfast for years

Drjohn1800

I have been following Fit For Life for years and either skip breakfast or eat a small amount of fruit usually berries.

I train early usually around 6a.m. and don't feel good if I eat prior to training. Will this habit screw up my whole 30… ??

Also I have been more of a grazer than sit down to eat during the day… should this change too?

Drj

• Moderators

Protein as a pre-workout meal is ideal, but if you are training first thing in the morning and do not tolerate food well, skipping will just have to do. However, you should work on eating a post-workout meal with lean protein and maybe some carbs within minutes of finishing your workout.

Grazing, on the other hand, is a problem. An important goal of the Whole30 is to become mindful in your eating and grazing just doesn't fit with mindful eating. Also, your hormones work in a rhythm that is best if you space meals 4 to 5 hours apart. You can enjoy a great Whole30 eating 5 to 6 times per day. I did. But you do need to avoid eating a little here and a little there all day. Eat enough that you are comfortable for 2.5 to 3 hours before eating again. Over the course of 2 years, I transitioned from eating 5-6 to just 3 meals per day and am totally comfortable with it now. It may just take you some time.

Thanks Tom,

I am a Chiropractor and am on the go so I don't feel good eating large amounts of food during the day at any one meal but the 4 or 5 times a day I can handle…. I have eaten kind of like this for years. I am stopping the Greek Yogurt that I just started eating as an experiment anyway. I think the biggest thing I will be giving up entirely is honey now and then and grains and legumes once in awhile. I have no arthritis at 67 and have over 1000 skydives and have had lots of injuries and several fractures. It will be interesting to see where this further "tightening of my belt will take me" I have also gotten into the habit of a "free meal once a week" … for me that might mean a burger and fries/ or a ruben sandwich…. have not had sugar in years…..

Have been an RKC for 5 years now too… so I train short and hard…… it will be interesting to see if I get stronger too.

Thanks

Drj

Archived