when to eat

greenie

Hubby and I are on day 3, so far so good.  I am trying to form a solid plan of when to eat during the day.  Breakfast is usually between 6 -7 as I chase around 3 kids and get them out the door for school.   Then I go to work from 11am - 2pm.  I have a quick break around 1:30 but not enough time to really eat anything.  When I leave work at 2, I go directly to first carpool and wait in line till 3:00  (good times), then off to the next shool for pickup there.  I'm not home till 3:30 ish.

Do I try to eat meal 2 at 10:30, quickly before work and then not eat till dinner?   I have always been a snacker.  The past 2 days I did fine w/no snack.  But 10:30 - 6:00 is a long time.

any suggestions?

• Moderators

Two thoughts. One is to get up earlier and eat a big breakfast before 6 AM and then eat lunch before you leave for work at 10:30 AM. Then you might pack a small snack to eat while waiting in the carpool line until 3. That snack should include protein, fat, and veggies - a mini-meal, and not be just a piece of fruit or nuts. The second idea is to pack your lunch and to eat it in the car while waiting in that carpool line. 

This was the first work day and it seemed to work out fine.  For starters, I know I should have had more veggies w/breakfast.   I was getting hungry at 10:30 and knew I could not go 3 hours.  I had an avocado and 1/2 tomato before work.   I was satisfied until I was wating for carpool.  Where I enjoyed a very relaxing meal of roasted chicken, carrots, tomatoes & olives.  I put homemade mayo on the chicken.  I had lots of veggies & water and had the added plus of a quiet lunch all by myself.  Probably the best time to eat.  Thanks for the tips.

On another note, is it 'normal' to have random muscle cramps/spasms on day 3?

I'm struggling with my timing too. I leave for work at 6:10AM (at the latest) and lunch is at 10:30 - I'm a teacher so these things can't change.

Today was my first day back at work and I think I did not have a big enough breakfast (2 egg scramble cupcakes, 1 c of carrots, compliant oil based veggie dressing) because I was starving before lunch at 10:30. Lunch was a cup of mashed sweet potatoes, a portabello mushroom head, and half a chicken breast that was cooked in olive oil - I am now thinking I could have used a fat in there. I am now at home and starrrrving, so another eggie muffin with some nuts and a pear to try to hold me over until dinner which will be late today (8pm) due to scheduling.

If I do huge breakfast plus huge lunch will that hold me over to a normal dinner time (7?) I usually workout at 5, so should I be doing a mini meal at 4?

Teacher time is such a weird thing (also - trying to drink all my water when I only get 3 bathroom breaks during the school day is agonizing!)

I'm struggling with my timing too. I leave for work at 6:10AM (at the latest) and lunch is at 10:30 - I'm a teacher so these things can't change.

Today was my first day back at work and I think I did not have a big enough breakfast (2 egg scramble cupcakes, 1 c of carrots, compliant oil based veggie dressing) because I was starving before lunch at 10:30. Lunch was a cup of mashed sweet potatoes, a portabello mushroom head, and half a chicken breast that was cooked in olive oil - I am now thinking I could have used a fat in there. I am now at home and starrrrving, so another eggie muffin with some nuts and a pear to try to hold me over until dinner which will be late today (8pm) due to scheduling.

If I do huge breakfast plus huge lunch will that hold me over to a normal dinner time (7?) I usually workout at 5, so should I be doing a mini meal at 4?

Teacher time is such a weird thing (also - trying to drink all my water when I only get 3 bathroom breaks during the school day is agonizing!)

Maybe try having a 3rd egg scramble 'cupcake' and having 2 cups worth of veggies at breakfast.  Have you made homemade paleo mayo yet?  That could be a good additional fat on top of your sweet potatoes at lunch.  Also guacamole/avocado or olives on the side would work too.

This was the first work day and it seemed to work out fine.  For starters, I know I should have had more veggies w/breakfast.   I was getting hungry at 10:30 and knew I could not go 3 hours.  I had an avocado and 1/2 tomato before work.   I was satisfied until I was wating for carpool.  Where I enjoyed a very relaxing meal of roasted chicken, carrots, tomatoes & olives.  I put homemade mayo on the chicken.  I had lots of veggies & water and had the added plus of a quiet lunch all by myself.  Probably the best time to eat.  Thanks for the tips.

On another note, is it 'normal' to have random muscle cramps/spasms on day 3?

I think you would be better served to have some protein and a bit more veg with your mini meal at 10:30--maybe some chicken or fish or ? and at least a whole tomato, if not some other veg like cucumber, celery or maybe a small salad. Veggies, veggies, veggies :-) shoot for 2-3 cups per meal, and at least 1 for each mini meal is my rule of thumb. 

Hubby and I are on day 3, so far so good.  I am trying to form a solid plan of when to eat during the day.  Breakfast is usually between 6 -7 as I chase around 3 kids and get them out the door for school.   Then I go to work from 11am - 2pm.  I have a quick break around 1:30 but not enough time to really eat anything.  When I leave work at 2, I go directly to first carpool and wait in line till 3:00  (good times), then off to the next shool for pickup there.  I'm not home till 3:30 ish.

Do I try to eat meal 2 at 10:30, quickly before work and then not eat till dinner?   I have always been a snacker.  The past 2 days I did fine w/no snack.  But 10:30 - 6:00 is a long time.

any suggestions?

Sounds like you have plenty of time to eat a meal while you're waiting for the car pool.

What's in your egg muffins?  Sweet potatoes and greens at breakfast are two things that I've found make a huge difference in terms of my appetite post-breakfast.  

Adding some ghee to your sweet potatoes at lunch would be an easy way to get fat into your lunch.  I'm on a major coleslaw kick right now, which depending on how much dressing you were to use is a good fat source as well.  Or a soup made with some coconut milk. Your lunch sounds a bit small to me too, but I'm not really sure how much sweet potato a cup is.  :)

I'm finding it difficult to figure out/make sure that I'm eating enough.  Only on day 2...

Today I've had:

Breakfast:

2 hard boiled eggs - should I be eating 3?

6 olives

Coffee 

Lunch:

5 slices compliant ham

1 cucumber

half an avocado

5 grapes

I'm finding it difficult to figure out/make sure that I'm eating enough.  Only on day 2...

Today I've had:

Breakfast:

2 hard boiled eggs - should I be eating 3?

6 olives

Coffee 

Lunch:

5 slices compliant ham

1 cucumber

half an avocado

5 grapes

Ok, you're not eating enough.   :) Your breakfast had no veggies: follow the meal template for every meal.  That means having 1-3 cups of veggies at each meal. http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf

On the number of eggs, your serving size is the number of eggs you can hold in your hand. If you can hold 3 eggs, then yes, you should be eating 3 eggs.

Thank you!  Definitely learning as the days progress.  Some mornings I have a hard time stomaching vegetables, or even eggs for that matter, so I may have to go away from the "traditional" breakfasts.  Though I did make a yummy egg, sausage, sweet potato, onion skillet breakfast yesterday that I had leftovers of this morning.  It filled me up for a lot longer and got in all the components I should have with each meal.  Thanks again.  (oh and sticking with 2 hard boiled eggs when I do have them) ;)

Archived