Log starting Day 12, and I am having a hard time

dcrachel

I'm on day 12 of my first Whole30 and I am not feeling the love. Maybe I'm still in the "Kill ALL the Things!" phase. I am eating good food, enough of it (I think...sometimes I worry I'm not eating enough because my appetite has seriously declined), high quality. I quit a very heavy, long-term Diet Coke habit when I started my Whole30, and the dreams of the sweet stuff, along with the headaches, subsided after about four days. I don't dream longingly of Chee-tos anymore (and really, they are gross, so why was I dreaming of them at all?). I still ACHE for cheese. Seriously. Ache.

But I don't have that energy. I don't have the Tiger Blood. I don't have that "ooh yeah this is awesome, I feel so great!" I have less bloating and less gas and less hypoglycemic-induced crazes. That is good. I feel good, fine, just not....great.

What I feel, really, is deprived. Like a child being told "no" every time I look in the refrigerator or drive down the road. Even though the one saying No is me, it is wearing me down.

My log, starting day 12:

Meal 1: Can of tuna with lemon juice over salad

Meal 2: Most of hamburger with a big side salad, oil and vinegar

Meal 3: Not sure yet. Today is hubby's birthday and I need to gird my loins and eat good food before heading to the tiki bar to celebrate with friends.

Snack: Almonds, coconut flakes, raisins

My appetite went down, too. But I think that was probably a good thing. I have a much easier time telling now when I'm just plain not hungry.

Have you found anything that you really look forward to having? There are some whole30 recipes out there that I just couldn't wait to make. Even big sides of vegetables.

I think I'm getting enough fat. I'm certainly not fat-phobic! I cook with natural fats and munch on fatty snacks when I need one. I still have lots of SAD foods in the house that my husband and daughter eat. They don't tempt me (except the cheese...gah! I never knew I could miss cheese this much!), but I do see them all the time. I haven't found anything particularly special in my new cooking regimen, either. Partially it is because I get home from a demanding job and immediately go into "childcare" mode as my husband heads off for work and my preschooler gets super excited that I'm home. It is exhausting. But I am sleeping better, so that is one plus of the Whole30!

I don't know where your head is on how Whole30 will fit into your life going forward, but the "ah ha moment" for me was when I realized that I'm not supposed to be just finding stuff to eat to get me through 30 days. The point of this is to embrace a totally new outlook and lifestyle. I'm on day 11, and am trying to focus a lot on what I can eat, and keeping my head there. About 6 days ago I had the revelation about why this way of eating is different than all the other "diets"-it focuses on letting go of the addictions (mental and physical) and creating new habits. Not simply paleoifying the old habits, but coming up with new, healthier ones. That has helped me stop counting the hours until I have a glass of red wine and some sharp cheddar. That way of thinking will lead right back to the place I came from, which is NOT where I want to go. I guess I'm suggesting that like so many things, this is a game we can win in our heads first. It's an effort for sure, but just based on my 11 days, it's worth it already.

I also have an extremely demanding job and a child at home, so I hear you on the challenges. Cooking on the weekends has helped me a lot. The other thing I do now is eat before I'm starving. I am finding that if I don't get past a 7 on my hunger scale, it's easier to ignore the monkeys enjoying their wine and cheese.

Today's food is boring. Most workweek days are. I have Well Fed, ISWF, the Nom Nom Paleo app (love it!), and Paleo Comfort Foods. I am at no loss for ideas. I'm at a loss for enthusiasm. I'm guessing (hoping) I'm just in a slump and will pick back up shortly. My refrigerator is stocked with grass-fed and pastured meats, pastured eggs, in-season veggies. I just thought I'd feel better by Day 12. That's all.

Archived