Jenna's 2nd whole30 - keeping myself happy.

msssjenna

So with everyone, I started January 1st, 2014.  My husband and I completed our first successful Whole30 back in May-June 2013.  I tried again over the fall, failed, kept pretty close to paleo, no grains, but lots of wine/alcohol :/.  The holidays rolled around and my sweet tooth gave in.  I was tired of having a leaky gut, mood swings, and no energy to make it to the gym.  I was also tired of relying on a glass of wine, every night.

I knew what I had to do and pulled out my ISWF book and skimmed it again.  I got Well Fed 2 for Christmas and was reminded how easy it can be.  I told my husband I was starting January 1, with or without him.

And here I am, Day 6.  I've been able to get through the first week with no cream in my coffee, a successful weekend, and plenty of trips to the gym.  The first week is always the hardest as I fight my brain and tell it no. 

Took the kids for ice cream on Saturday, and was tempted but did not give in.  There are daily donuts/sweets/chocolates at work - I have not given in.

Anyways, here is my first food log, day 6.  (my memory sucks, i couldnt tell you want i ate for days 1-5).

M1 : chicken sausage, sweet potato and spinach hash, with iced coffee with coconut milk.

M2 : leftover rotisserie chicken with roasted broccoli and 1/2 cup olives.

PRE-WO : banana with sunflower seed butter.

POST-WO: can of tuna

M3: pan-seared chicken breast served over zucchini noodles, sprinkled with crisp bacon bits.

A little background of me : I am a FT working mom of 3.  I coach highschool lacrosse in my spare time.  I prep all my food on Sundays, so most of my meals will look the same.  Anyone else in my boat, please let me know your out there and not crazy .. yet :)

Day 7 - woo hoo!!  First week almost done.  This time around I signed up for the daily emails, and the only caveat I have, is why do I get the emails at 5am? I mean, I havent even started my Day 7 yet.  Anyways.

M1 : chicken sausage, sweet potato and spinach hash, with iced coffee with coconut milk.

M2 : leftover rotisserie chicken with roasted broccoli (forgot my olives at home :( ).

M3: pan seared salmon with asparagus. 

POST-W/O : can of tuna, 1/2 sweet potato.

I will be coaching 2 agility classes tonight, so will get my workout done with the girls.  Should be fun... maybe.  It was 5 degrees here in VA this morning, so everyone stay warm!

How do I feel at the end of week 1?  Amazing.  My bowel movements are much better.  I do not have any tummy pains or terrible gas.  I have more energy and feel happy.  Do I get tempted with bad food? Yes.  Did I get stressed out last night and wanted to have some wine?  Yes, but I didnt.  Instead I curled up on the couch and opened a new book from the library.  I still am having trouble waking at 12, and then again at 4am and trying to get back to sleep. 

Blah so my day wasn't as good as planned. After lunch I was still hungry. I knew I needed fat as I didn't not have any at lunch. I wen to the grocery store to get an emergency larabar. I ended up getting that, a can of salted pecans, and complaint jerky - you know to keep in my snack drawer. I devoured the larabar in the car, and ate all the jerky and half a can of pecans by 4 o'clock. So no more snack drawer for me - if it's there I will eat it. I just have to make sure I pack my lunch accordingly.

Hubby forgot to take out the salmon so I stopped by the store and picked up some pork chops on sale. I pan seared those in bacon fat and topped with mushrooms, and served with asparagus on the side. So, so good.

Day 8 : made it through the first week! So happy and proud that I got over all first week hurdles. No carb flu here but did experience some fatigue. Workouts were good and energy is going up. Tonight we went out to eat and instead of coming home and crashing, I've been doing chores around the house, not like me at all. It's 8pm and I still have some sewing to do and clothes to fold, and I'm not tired much.

Meals for today:

M1: chicken sausage, sweet potato and spinach hash, small serving of olives, iced coffee with coconut milk.

M2: rotisserie chicken with roasted broccoli, cherry larabar.

snack: 2 mandarin oranges with a handful of salty pecans.

M3: dinner at Olive Garden. I had some salad, and the garlic rosemary chicken. It was pretty good.

Returned home and got stressed dealing with 3 tired kids. Shoveled down 6 dates. Need to stay out of the kitchen when stressed.

Day 9 ; The days are getting better. I'm asleep in bed by 930pm, and up by 515am. I have been sleeping better, only awaken by a child now, instead of myself.

M1: sautéed broccoli slaw in bacon fat, threw in my hash, and topped with an egg. Iced coffee with coconut milk on my drive to work.

M2: rotisserie chicken with roasted broccoli, handful olives.

Snack : banana

M3: chicken wing, collard greens, sautéed zucchini noodles and mushrooms. Here's a pic.

Going to the gym tonight, will have a can of tuna and half a sweet potato as a post WO.

post-23465-0-71353000-1389310836_thumb.j

Day 9 ; The days are getting better. I'm asleep in bed by 930pm, and up by 515am. I have been sleeping better, only awaken by a child now, instead of myself.

M1: sautéed broccoli slaw in bacon fat, threw in my hash, and topped with an egg. Iced coffee with coconut milk on my drive to work.

Snack : banana

M3: chicken wing, collard greens, sautéed zucchini noodles and mushrooms. Here's a pic.

Going to the gym tonight, will have a can of tuna and half a sweet potato as a post WO.

Wondering if you ate enough today?

- How many eggs can you hold in one hand? I'm guessing it's more than one?  That's the number of eggs you should have as a serving.

- Snacks should be a mini meal, including a protein and fat. Save your fruit to have with or immediately after a meal.

- I'm thinking the meat on a chicken wing is less than 1-2 palms of protein.  Be sure you're getting enough.

As an aside, is the rotisserie chicken compliant?  Many come with nasties like gluten and soy.

Thanks for all your helpful tips Chris. My hash also had chicken sausage in it, and with the egg I felt it was enough protein.

The banana was emergency, I worked 10 hours today and needed something to hold me over.

The chicken was definitely less, but I only made enough for me to have 1, as I had to share the servings with my family. And the rotisserie chicken was homemade in my crockpot :). Thanks again for keeping me on my toes

Day 10!

Meals for today:

M1: chicken sausage, sweet potato and spinach hash, black coffee when I got to work.

M3: took the boys to Pizza Hut, watched them eat pizza, went to boot camp at 6, and made myself a nice big stirfry once home. Lean beef tips with 2-3 cups of cabbage/broccoli slaw.

I'm calling it early tonight. I went to bed late last night and feel like my body needs the rest.

Day 11: Today was a family day which means all of my in laws came over for breakfast. I made overnight French toast casserole, eggs, bacon, sausage, biscuits, cinnamon rolls, and apples. I ate none of it. It felt good that I was able to look at the food and not be tempted - I've learned to not force anything on my family. I won't judge them for eating grains or sugar. If they want to know more about the whole30 I tell them, but that's it. So I cooked everything and then cooked my own food.

M1: broccoli slaw with beef tips and 2 eggs.

M2: peppers, onions, complicate turkey deli meat, 2 eggs, banana.

M3: Chipotle carnitas salad with tomato salsa and guacamole. I worked late this evening and came home and ate an apple with a handful of walnuts.

Day 12: woke up in a slump and haven't been in a great mood really. I had to fight to get myself to eat instead of graze all day.

M1: scrambled eggs, bacon, fruit. I was at my moms who cooked breakfast so I ate what I could. I also had coffee and later peppermint tea.

M2: cold 'cereal' : 1 apple, walnuts, dried fruit, shredded coconut flakes, topped with coconut milk.

M3: Well Fed 2 Cincinnati chili served over zoodles. So good!

Meal prepped for the week : made the same hash for breakfast, and will have the chili served over zoodles/broccoli for lunch.

Day 13: going through a bit of an emotional state.  I dont know what it is, but all of sudden getting depressed about my job situation, life, etc.  maybe I have a case of the Mondays, lol.

M1: chicken sausage, sweet potato and spinach hash, iced coffee with coconut milk.

Snack: black coffee (I usually drink this about 2 hours after breakfast).

M2: Well Fed 2 Cincinnati chili served over zoodles/roasted broccoli.

Post-WO: 1/2 can tuna.

M3: More chili, probably, with 1/2 sweet potato.  DH is making tacos for the boys, which is usually okay but I am sure the seasoning is a no-no.

Ok I don't know what's wrong but I've been feeling pretty down these past couple of days. Not about what I'm eating, but life in general. I'm not sure what it is.

M1: chicken sausage, spinach, and sweet potato hash. Added some broccoli in as well.

M2: Cincinnati chili over zoodles and broccoli.

Snack : (this is when I got down) walnuts and dates. Too many to account for.

M3: eggs and bacon.

Post workout: 1/2 can tuna and 1/2 sweet potato. Currently sipping on peppermint tea.

M1: chicken sausage, spinach, and sweet potato hash. Added some broccoli in as well.

M2: Cincinnati chili over zoodles and broccoli.

Pre-WO : cold cereal : apple, dried fruit, walnuts, shredded coconut, coconut milk.

M3: mango salsa tilapia with 1/4 avocado and broccoli

Snack: almonds. I was with my mom and her friends tonight, I watched them drink wine and eat pumpkin bars. I drank water and viviciously ate almonds. Ha.

Day 16 - yahoo! My mood is definutely getting better but my loose stools is not ok. Something is upsetting my stomach and I'm not sure what. I've been eating a lot of roasted broccoli but that is my favorite vegetable ever, so I don't know what it's effecting me now.

M1: chicken sausage, spinach, broccoli, and sweet potato hash.

Snack: coffee.

M2: Cincinnati chili over zoodles/broccoli.

M3: salad with mushrooms and carrots, a little bowl of chicken veggie soup, and a bun less bacon burger with all the veggie fixins from Five Guys.

Whoops sorry skipped Day 17. I was pretty busy, met with an old colleague and received really good news about possibly helping out with her business.

M1: sauteed briccol slaw, chicken/sausage/sweet potato hash, 2 eggs.

Post-WO: chili

M2: salad with pulled chicken, pecans, cranberries, grapes, with a balsamic vinaigrette.

Snack: Banaba with walnuts and almond butter.

M3: chicken with onion, portobello mushrooms, zucchini, and red potatoes.

Snack: coffee.

We went to the Wizards vs Bulls game last night and I had some coffee to keep my awake and to keep my hands busy and away from the refillable bag of popcorn. Oh and they won!

Day 19: feeling weird. Tiger blood has come and gone, I feel like I don't have the same energy as when I started. I also feel bad, we have gone places this weekend where I couldn't eat what everyone else was eating. It made me think that the whole30 was a waste. I wanted to have some frozen yogurt so bad. But at the same time, I know it would turn my insides out. I know what I'm eating is making me stronger Bd faster. But why do I crave the bad food? Why am I counting down to Day 31? I do not want it to be like this. Ugh just my thoughts.

M1: 2 eggs, 1 sweet potato, coffee on the way to church.

M2: taco salad, roast beef with sweet potato and green beans (at a buffet).

M3: salad with olives, 2 HB eggs, pepperoni, and a balsamic/olive oil dressing.

Day 22:

M1: banana sautéed in coconut oil topped with sunflower seed butter, large Salad with shredded chicken thigh.

M2: leftover Bolognese sauce with added chicken and olives.

M3: pan seared salmon in ghee, roasted broccoli, and sweet potato with coconut.

Was feeling down today, did not get the job I recently applied for. Instead of reaching for the bottle of wine, I went on a little shopping spree at Target. It was great.

Day 23:

M1: chicken thighs with fajita veggies and roasted sweet potato.

M2: large salad with chicken thighs and olives in an olive oil and balsamic vinegar dressing.

M3: 2 chicken wings and collard greens.

Snack: green apple with sunflower seed butter.

Day 24:

M1: chicken thighs with fajita veggies and mashed sweet potato with coconut oil. Coffee on my way to work.

M2: large salad with chicken thigh and olives with a balsamic vine be dressing.

M3: 3 eggs, chicken sausage.

Post -WO: 1/2 can tuna, 1/2 sweet potato.

Day 25:

M1: 2 eggs, chicken sausage, coffee.

Pre-WO: cherry Larabar.

Post-WO: 1/2 can tuna, 1/2 sweet potato.

M2: large salad of mixed grebes, steak, grilled onions/peppers.

M3: pan sweated chic hen, asparagus, a little hashed potatoes.

Went out to dinner last night with my husband and was really tempted to order a glass of wine. Even verbally discussed it with him how it wasn't 'fair' that I couldn't enjoy myself after a long day. I sucked it up and made it through dinner but day 31 is just around the corner. I do not want to eat/drink things just because iim no longer following a plan. Definitely need to think this week on what my plan will be after Whole30. Maybe extend it?

Overall, things look good!

A reminder that snacks should be a mini-meal including a protein and fat. Reserve your 1-2 daily fruit servings to enjoy with or immediately after your main meals.

Larabars don't fit the template for pre WO, due  to the fruit and no protein. Pre WO is protein and optional fat.

Archived