Day 5 and dizzy/weak - EBFing mama

I'm on day 5 of my Whole30 and EBFing my chubby 5-month old. Until today, I was feeling pretty good-- eating 3-4 full meals a day, not much of a hangover, and no desire to kill all the things. But today I woke up after a rough night (lots of wakings, plus a bonus 3am pacing-the-house-with-upset-baby session), and I feel weak, dizzy, nauseated. Choking down some leftover Asian hotpot soup (bok choy, napa cabbage, and mushrooms in broth) and turkey for breakfast-- I don't actually want to eat at all, but I don't want my milk supply to drop either :(

I figure this is just a combination of Whole30 doing its work plus sleep deprivation, but any advice/support is welcome!

Maybe one of the mods can chime in, but I felt better when I added a sweet potato a day.  I felt really tired and weak and that seemed to help off set it.  If you don't like those then maybe some squash or pumpkin.  Just an idea.  Hope you feel better soon! 

deffinately up the starch.  i'm still BFing my 14 month old frequently and if i don't get enough good carbs then i'm in an aweful situation, especially if she's not having a good night.  i like to keep canned pumpkin at hand and just mix in some full fat coconut milk and cinnamon for an easy boost, plus you can eat it hot or cold.

Yum, that sounds so good! I'll pick up some canned pumpkin today. I've been eating at least one sweet potato a day, and feeling great.

Do you ladies ever have problems eating your entire meal in one uninterrupted sitting? Whole30 meals are bigger than I'm used to, and I often find myself eating around laundry, nursing, entertaining baby, etc. I try to eat cohesive meals, but have definitely ended up finishing my coconut flakes over my nursing baby's head!

I don't know if I have eaten ANY of my meals without interruption. Between getting more milk for the big kids and changing baby diapers I end up eating a lot of cold stuff. I am bf- ing 8 month old twins. It's the same as the sleep issue. I do my best but life happens.

I am a BFing mom too and I have discovered over the past five days of our first W30 that I need to eat lots of starchy veggies and have 3 meals and 2 mini-meals (ON SCHEDULE!) every day to prevent from feeling weak and lighteheaded.  It's a lot of work trying to prepare five meals a day, lol!  But I am really trying.  I would love to finish this!!

Feeling kind of frustrated today (day 17)-- no tiger's blood or body composition changes that I've noticed yet. I'm sure the body comp stuff is because I'm a nursing mom who hasn't slept a full night in six months :), but still feeling a little sad to go to all the effort of W30 and not feel very different!

I'm right there with you. On Day 20 today and have a queasy stomach & definitely no Tiger's Blood. I've been thinking about changing my expectations of the program and have thought a lot about what I felt like before I started as compared to now (instead of waiting for a huge body comp change, Tiger's Blood, etc.). If you put it in that perspective, do you at least feel better energy-wise than you did before? Does it feel better emotionally to make good food choices? I think those are our "tiger bloods" instead of what the non-breastfeeding/getting sleep population experiences : ) And think how good it is for your baby's health; that's what I keep going back to as well!

True, my energy does burn a lot cleaner and more evenly throughout the day now, and I'm definitely happy about nourishing my baby with great foods. Plus, I'm looking forward to the reintroduction phase and finding out which foods I'm truly sensitive to.

I think you're right, maybe not much Tiger's Blood for nursing moms. More like Mama Tiger's Wisdom or something like that :)

Loving this thread--and great idea about the pumpkin + coconut milk!  I have a hard time just drinking it straight.  My LO is 12 months and nursing frequently.  And is also very very attached, so I also eat a lot of my meals while nursing or standing up!  This too shall pass, and then we'll miss it.  :)

What is Tiger's Blood?  I missed that term in the book...

@Cantora87, Tiger's Blood is a term from the generally accurate and always hilarious Whole30 timeline:

http://whole9life.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/

It's the amazing, I-can-conquer-the-world feeling that people typically start experiencing in the second half of the Whole30 :)

You're right, we will definitely miss these cuddly times someday...

Archived