Even though I finally like wine...

Alliea

Day 24 started with a big pile of sauteed vegetables including some leftover brussel sprouts I chopped up and added to the mix. Threw some ground pork in with that, and then scrambled egg with tomato on top of all that. I actually rarely get sick of this type of breakfast, and it's pretty typical even when I'm not doing a Whole30. Only difference is when I'm not doing Whole30 I might also add a piece of toast or some sort of grain product. That's yet another thing for me to work on because I know morning bread product=more carb cravings during the day. I'm trying to remember where I read that if you're going to do bread products/desserts, do them with dinner, not breakfast. Not sure how much validity to that, but it makes sense in a way. Dinner last night was a Chipotle salad (all compliant stuff), but when I got home the meal didn't feel quite finished, so I added a pickle, some shredded coconut and a banana. My daughter had an opinion on the weirdness of that combination (she's right, though I just want to put out there that I didn't eat them all at the same time). Okay, I didn't like Bubbie's pickles as much as whoever posted about them, but they're okay--I'll use them up, anyway. 

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've found that the Bubbie's pickles are not super consistent. Sometimes I get a jar that is amazingly crunchy and they don't last very long and sometimes I get some that are more squishy. There is a local brand here called Britt's (I think) that is amazing. Huge pickles and always super crisp. But they are super expensive and only like 5 or 6 in a jar. Every now and then it is a nice treat though.

Not sure about the bread product/morning thing. I know for me grains in general become foods with no brakes especially when I get the good quality stuff which is the only stuff worth it for me. This is generally why I keep grains to meals out where I can't just keep eating and eating. 

I've found that the Bubbie's pickles are not super consistent. Sometimes I get a jar that is amazingly crunchy and they don't last very long and sometimes I get some that are more squishy. There is a local brand here called Britt's (I think) that is amazing. Huge pickles and always super crisp. But they are super expensive and only like 5 or 6 in a jar. Every now and then it is a nice treat though.

Not sure about the bread product/morning thing. I know for me grains in general become foods with no brakes especially when I get the good quality stuff which is the only stuff worth it for me. This is generally why I keep grains to meals out where I can't just keep eating and eating. 

Re: Bubbie's pickles--yep, I appear to have gotten the squishy kind. I'll look out for Britt's--don't know if we have those around here, but a good pickle is an amazing thing. 

Re: the bread, yeah, the no brakes problem is the same for me. That's why it kind of made sense when I read that people should eat them with dinner only. I'm going to bed a few hours after dinner, don't crave carbs if I'm actually asleep, and would be unlikely to get out of bed to get them even if I did. Good idea to only eat grains when dining out. 

Day 25. Discovered yesterday that some fresh sauerkraut with homemade mayo on it (not surprisingly) is a lot like coleslaw, and it's also delicious with chicken, tomato and avocado. I'm going to do the same experiment with tuna today. I'm wondering whether I should keep to the suggested serving size on the kraut container--just 1/4 cup. That's not much. 

I'm also mulling over reintroduction and wondering why I'd  bother to do that on a second Whole30. I already know what I'm sensitive to from doing a strict reintroduction the first time (high fat dairy is all that get's me--nothing else). I also have no intention of suddenly eating a bunch of the foods I haven't been eating all month. That would be too painful. Maybe I'll call this a modified reintroduction--add things slowly, but not in a formal way as I don't really see the need. 

Day 26: I spent a lot of time cooking a chicken last night with sweet potato and jicama chips and it wasn't that good. Hate that--when I spend forever peeling and chopping etc, for mediocre result. Typical vegepalooza breakfast this morning, and I have yet to break the habit of having a piece of fruit right after breakfast. Who needs dessert right after breakfast? Still been good about the snacking. Will keep on keeping on.  :rolleyes:

If you felt good about your reintroduction data from your first W30 then no need to do it again in my opinion. I don't think I would do another strict reintro if I did another W30, I pretty much have the knowledge I need now. 

I usually stick to 1/4 cup serving on the fermented veggies.

Day 27...So, if I plan to eat an apple with my lunch, but I'm too lazy to go and wash the apple so I can eat it until two hours after lunch, does that count as snacking? If so, I broke my snack ban yesterday. Poor planning made for a weird breakfast this morning that fit the template nonetheless. I had boiled eggs, raw carrots, a pickle, and some nuts. Good enough. Poker night tonight, and a veritable feast will show up in my house. All the same, I'm feeling weirdly untempted by food in general. Not sure what that's about, but it would be good if it continues through tomorrow. I think I can resist anything at this point. 

Day 27...So, if I plan to eat an apple with my lunch, but I'm too lazy to go and wash the apple so I can eat it until two hours after lunch, does that count as snacking? If so, I broke my snack ban yesterday. Poor planning made for a weird breakfast this morning that fit the template nonetheless. I had boiled eggs, raw carrots, a pickle, and some nuts. Good enough. Poker night tonight, and a veritable feast will show up in my house. All the same, I'm feeling weirdly untempted by food in general. Not sure what that's about, but it would be good if it continues through tomorrow. I think I can resist anything at this point. 

If I did that I would consider it a snack yes. It isn't uncommon to be turned off by food at this point in your W30 from what I've read on the forums. If you do get tempted tonight just keep reminding yourself that you are a grown up and if you want those foods after your W30 you can choose to have them...they are not exiting the planet forever after tonight.

If I did that I would consider it a snack yes. It isn't uncommon to be turned off by food at this point in your W30 from what I've read on the forums. If you do get tempted tonight just keep reminding yourself that you are a grown up and if you want those foods after your W30 you can choose to have them...they are not exiting the planet forever after tonight.

Hah! Thanks, Physibeth, I'm actually ducking into the forum for a last minute reminder of exactly that sort of thing. In fact, poker night will happen again next month, and a different feast will show up at my house...and I may choose to go bonkers, or I may not. That's the great thing about doing a W30--gives me my control back. 

Day 28--Whee! No real problems at poker night last night. A friend of mine who just finished a W30 brought the most amazing cauliflower "rice" dish. At one point, I said to the person next to me that it was hard to believe it didn't have any rice in it, and she said, "What, wait-it doesn't?" Same friend also made a sweet potato and mango dish, and I made some shrimp and scallops cooked in clarified butter and garlic so dinner was very good. Okay, possibly I went a little crazy and had a Lara bar for dessert while everyone else was eating the five other types of chocolate dessert available--but under the circumstances, I think that was pretty restrained of me. Also, I won $1.90 with my awesome poker skills. All in all, a banner evening!

Day before the last--29. Boy I hope a pickle counts as a vegetable, because that was the only veg I had for breakfast. Unbeknownst to me, hubby took all my baby carrots and put them in a soup he made yesterday, so I was in a bit of a-uh-pickle this morning when it came to a veg. Boiled eggs, 1 strip of bacon, a pickle and a banana. Straaaange combination. Had the aforementioned soup for lunch, and as it was full of missing vegetables, I think I'm once again okay for the day, if not for one of the meals. 

Man, I am full of good stress right now. All work related, all stuff I like to do, but way too much of it. Happily, I'm not particularly inclined to do any stress eating. Yay, W30!

Day before the last--29. Boy I hope a pickle counts as a vegetable, because that was the only veg I had for breakfast. Unbeknownst to me, hubby took all my baby carrots and put them in a soup he made yesterday, so I was in a bit of a-uh-pickle this morning when it came to a veg. Boiled eggs, 1 strip of bacon, a pickle and a banana. Straaaange combination. Had the aforementioned soup for lunch, and as it was full of missing vegetables, I think I'm once again okay for the day, if not for one of the meals. 

Man, I am full of good stress right now. All work related, all stuff I like to do, but way too much of it. Happily, I'm not particularly inclined to do any stress eating. Yay, W30!

A pickle is a vegetable - you might want to check that it was compliant. Can be tricky to find compliant pickles (whatever they're floating in can contain nasties).

A pickle is a vegetable - you might want to check that it was compliant. Can be tricky to find compliant pickles (whatever they're floating in can contain nasties).

Thanks, GFChris--that makes me feel better about the veg question. Yes, compliant I think. Someone on the forum had recommended Bubbie's pickles, and the label didn't suggest any problem ingredients. Let me know if you know differently!

I believe there are a couple different versions of Bubbie's. One is compliant and the other is not.  Sounds like you got the compliant one!  :)

Yes the bread and butter ones are not compliant as they have sugar...the kosher dill ones are though. :)

Day the last! It's starting out well because I thought we were out of eggs but turns out there were two left (MINE!). I had time to make my usual big pile of vegetables and throw some eggs over them. Okay, so lunch is going to include another pickle-as-veg-substitute unless I get my lazy self out of the office and get a salad somewhere to throw my leftover steak on. We had another good experience with Outback last night very flexibly preparing us compliant food. Also, they screwed up and cooked us the wrong steaks, so we ended up getting very fancy steaks at no extra charge. We brought our own olive oil and clarified butter this time. I'm still not a huge fan of baked sweet potatoes, but they were better with a bit of butter and the steamed veggies with good olive oil were excellent. My husband and I were talking last night about what we might add back first (reintro from first Whole30 suggests neither of us is sensitive to anything food-wise). Neither of us plans to make big changes to our diet--I've been eating mainly paleo breakfasts for over a year now. However, we both immediately had an answer to what we'd add back first. I want--you guessed it--just a nice glass of wine with my dinner. Hubby wants some oatmeal for breakfast. Big dreams!

Yesterday went smoothly aside from a mild temptation at dinner to stop a little early--we didn't, but when my daughter went by with some Girl Scout Cookies let's just say I had a moment. This morning I had a little non-compliant sausage with my breakfast--that ended up being the first thing added back. Hubby had his oatmeal. Go figure. 

Though my W30 is over, I wanted to duck in here one more time to say thanks to the moderators and members who read my posts and gave me their thoughts along the way. Special shout out to Physibeth--felt like you were strolling along with me as I did this!

See you all next time and best wishes for all your healthy eating journeys!

Archived