Fat sources = skin and hair issues?

Hello,

I am in my 6th day of Whole 30 and I believe I am eating more fat than ever before. I follow the Meal Template, but still think is a lot of fat. It worries me that this might bring skin issues or hair loss, therefore sometimes I eat less fat amount. Until now, I've noticed some acne arising, but I've read in the forums that some people find their skin to be in better shape. Hair wise I've noticed no change.

Could a lot of fat sources result in a greasy hair scalp and hair loss? Could this fat be the source of acne?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Not really. Acne usually points to a hormonal issue, which could actually be helped by eating more fat. Confused yet?

Hormones are composed of fat. If you get too much of the wrong fats, they'll not be made as well and might fall apart early or send the wrong signal due to breaking up on the way. (Yes, this is super simplistic.) If you get the right fats (aka enough of both unsaturated AND saturated ones, like animal fats or coconut oil), the signals will be stronger and your body will know what it's trying to say.

Imagine you're trying to send a letter written on a coffee filter in the rain. Not such a good chance it'll arrive in one piece, right? Now imagine it's written on tyvek (the ripstop stuff some packages are made of). Much better survival, right? 

Eat good fats, and give it at least a month. You might have a transition period, but it should improve. If not, you at least are eating better.

I have increased my fats already in preparation for W30--starting mid Jan. My skin looks better and hair is definitely healthier and growing faster. Yes, I have had a little more acne, but it has already settled down--and is less when dealing with menses than ever before. Think about acne meds (or meds for illnesses in many cases), tings often get worse before getting better. Your body will respond in time, but first the toxins have to get out. If they are in your pores, acne is often the way out.

To piggyback on jcpruitt - I did my first Whole30 last summer and am doing a "Whole14" right now between the Christmas holidays and a couple of trips. My previously glowing skin is breaking out right now, on day 5 of super clean eating, because it's getting all the nasties from the holidays out! It would concern me if I didn't know it was just things getting settled down.

Archived