Day 4 (first timer) headache is gone and pants are falling off!

nglimpse

OK, I didn't think I would use this forum for my own logging, but I am so excited and amazed after just 3 full days on whole30. I've also discovered that people who haven't done this, don't really understand.

I have been on a kamikaze food path for the past several years and have gained 20 pounds. While I hate the weight gain, I am more bothered by the brain fog, lethargy, and guilt of making bad choices. I've been looking at the whole30 for the past year and I am so glad that I finally decided to take the plunge.

In addition to the meal prep and planning and figuring out how to make it work with my husband and son (I detest making multiple options for a meal), I was super concerned about the initial withdrawal period. I've had a monster energy drink EVERY morning for several years. Plus, December was a particularly bad month for eating out, indulging, etc.

So....imagine my surprise!! Day 3 I woke up feeling fully rested and NO headache!!! Day one I was tired and day two I was tired with a headache....I thought that was going to last for several days. But it didn't! Today is day 4 and I feel great. I know that we are not supposed to weigh in during the 30 days and the weight is really not my main focus...but my pants were literally falling off my hips yesterday, so today I was just too curious. I've lost SEVEN pounds - and I weighed AFTER eating breakfast!!

Here's my menu so far...

Day 1       Breakfast: sweet potato hash, 3 fried eggs, salsa

Lunch: chicken mixed with homemade mayo over sauted veggies & greens

Dinner: taco salad (salsa for dressing)

56 oz water, 8 hrs sleep, no exercise...just Costco and prep-cooking for HOURS.

Mood: overwhelmed but optimistic, tired

Day 2      Breakfast: repeat of day one

Lunch: chicken salad (w/my mayo) over greens, tomato, olives, apple

Snack: handful of almonds

Dinner: Stir-fry chick & veggies over cauliflower rice, best stir-fry sauce from book

56 oz water, 9 hrs sleep, laid on the couch all day except when dragging myself to kitchen

Mood: TIRED, headache, hot/cold flashes

*my husband decided to join me on this day...which made me kind of crabby because I hadn't shopped thinking about HIS breakfast and lunch...so ANOTHER trip to the store was planned for when I felt alive again.

Day 3      Breakfast: Apples sauted in ghee & cinnamon, scrambled eggs

Lunch: repeat day 2, sub carrots for apple

Dinner: chocolate chili served over mashed sweet potato, topped with onion, avocado, cilantro 

64 oz water, 10 hrs sleep, busy day taking son to hockey, grocery shopping, cooking, cleaning

Mood: woke up feeling GREAT, mildly fatigued but feel light and optimistic overall                 

*husband feeling CRABBY on his day 2, but we all went out for a nice long walk after dinner and that helped. Then he ate a handful of peanuts (he didn't know they were off limits) and then he ate FIVE peanut m&m's...after I had made a special trip to the store to ensure he'd be on plan for weekday lunches. I wasn't too pleased, but in the back of my mind I was prepared to control my "kill all things" response...but it didn't come! I mostly just feel sorry for him because he set himself back. I also realize that chances are good that he will have several cheats along the way, and again I just feel bad for him that he won't get the full results. But even with cheats, it's good for him. So, yes...fast forward to day 4, I did get up early to make pack him an on-plan lunch and make him breakfast before work...even though he is a dirty cheater. And I only rubbed it in once!

Day4       Breakfast: scrambled eggs with mushrooms, pineapple smoothie (pineapple, banana, spinach,

peaches, coconut milk)

Snack: apple pie bite (tablespoon size ball - made of pecan, almond, date, dried apple, spice)

Lunch: leftover chocolate chili over steamed broccoli, topped with onion and avocado

*Dinner Plan: pot sticker turkey burgers with side of green beans and roasted carrots

on course for 64 oz water, 6 hrs sleep, cleaning and playing with kiddo on last day of his break.

Mood: woke up rested and feel good. Energy seems to ebb and flow. Took a SERIOUS,

sleep of the dead nap after breakfast - not sure if it was all the fruit in the smoothie or just from

waking up early.

So anyway, that is my log to-date. :)

Yay for you!!!  So nice to be able to feel the change so immediately.  My body felt much better just a couple days into it.  My head still is foggy, but that will clear up.  My partner is going through this process with me, but it's tough to be crabby myself and then have him be crabby or lethargic.  Tough!  I constantly tell myself that we are acting this way because of the food and not some character deficits and I'm so glad we will both be more pleasant humans in a week.  Your chocolate chili with the toppings sounds good.  We have cilantro that desperately needs to be used.  Perhaps that will be our dinner tonight.  Power on!

lol. There is something really empowering about having the "kill all things" label, as well as the other stages identified in the timeline. LIke you said, it helps to know the source of the frustration...and that there will be an end date!

Enjoy the chocolate chili! :)

Here's my menu so far...

Day 1       Breakfast: sweet potato hash, 3 fried eggs, salsa

Lunch: chicken mixed with homemade mayo over sauted veggies & greens

Dinner: taco salad (salsa for dressing)

56 oz water, 8 hrs sleep, no exercise...just Costco and prep-cooking for HOURS.

Mood: overwhelmed but optimistic, tired

Day 2      Breakfast: repeat of day one

Lunch: chicken salad (w/my mayo) over greens, tomato, olives, apple

Snack: handful of almonds

Dinner: Stir-fry chick & veggies over cauliflower rice, best stir-fry sauce from book

56 oz water, 9 hrs sleep, laid on the couch all day except when dragging myself to kitchen

Mood: TIRED, headache, hot/cold flashes

*my husband decided to join me on this day...which made me kind of crabby because I hadn't shopped thinking about HIS breakfast and lunch...so ANOTHER trip to the store was planned for when I felt alive again.

Day 3      Breakfast: Apples sauted in ghee & cinnamon, scrambled eggs

Lunch: repeat day 2, sub carrots for apple

Dinner: chocolate chili served over mashed sweet potato, topped with onion, avocado, cilantro 

64 oz water, 10 hrs sleep, busy day taking son to hockey, grocery shopping, cooking, cleaning

Mood: woke up feeling GREAT, mildly fatigued but feel light and optimistic overall                 

*husband feeling CRABBY on his day 2, but we all went out for a nice long walk after dinner and that helped. Then he ate a handful of peanuts (he didn't know they were off limits) and then he ate FIVE peanut m&m's...after I had made a special trip to the store to ensure he'd be on plan for weekday lunches. I wasn't too pleased, but in the back of my mind I was prepared to control my "kill all things" response...but it didn't come! I mostly just feel sorry for him because he set himself back. I also realize that chances are good that he will have several cheats along the way, and again I just feel bad for him that he won't get the full results. But even with cheats, it's good for him. So, yes...fast forward to day 4, I did get up early to make pack him an on-plan lunch and make him breakfast before work...even though he is a dirty cheater. And I only rubbed it in once!

Day4       Breakfast: scrambled eggs with mushrooms, pineapple smoothie (pineapple, banana, spinach,

peaches, coconut milk)

Snack: apple pie bite (tablespoon size ball - made of pecan, almond, date, dried apple, spice)

Lunch: leftover chocolate chili over steamed broccoli, topped with onion and avocado

*Dinner Plan: pot sticker turkey burgers with side of green beans and roasted carrots

on course for 64 oz water, 6 hrs sleep, cleaning and playing with kiddo on last day of his break.

Mood: woke up rested and feel good. Energy seems to ebb and flow. Took a SERIOUS,

sleep of the dead nap after breakfast - not sure if it was all the fruit in the smoothie or just from

waking up early.

So anyway, that is my log to-date. :)

Glad you're feeling good!

A couple things:

- please hide the scale until you're done with your Whole30. How you're feeling means way more than a number.

- smoothies are discouraged on a Whole30.  It's too easy to have too much fruit at once, and we want you to chew your food instead of drink it. Chewing is more satiating.

- make sure all your meals fit the meal template. Most were fine, but you had one breakfast with no veggies, and it's not clear whether you had sufficient veggies when you had the taco salad for dinner. Make sure you get veggies at every meal, and don't let fruit push vegetables off your plate. http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf

The apple pie bite snack is definitely off-limits for a Whole30, as it's paleo-ifying a treat.  Snacks should be a mini-meal, including a protein and fat.

Yeah, I was afraid that the smoothie was too much fruit....bummer. There were about 3 cups of veggies with the taco salad: a spinach/kale/chard blend for the base, with bell peppers, mushrooms, tomato, and broccoli.

I'll keep working on adding veggies to breakfast and I can put the scale away..... but the apple pie bites...that's a hard one!!! Ok...fine. Sure. Yeah. I'll get rid of them.  But just so we are clear, I'll be making a fresh batch in 26 days. :D

Day five and I couldn't be happier that we made the decision to do this! Both my husband and I are past the headaches and crazy tired stage. We are both just "kind of tired". My cravings seem to have gone...for now anyway. He is still craving a mocha. Our new motto (when we need to adjust our perspective and resist a treat) is: if a crack addict can survive the withdrawal symptoms from crack, surely we can survive the withdrawal symptoms from sugar! I really thought we would have had a much more difficult detox phase. Maybe it is still coming??

Day 5:  Breakfast:  ground beef scrambled with eggs and a spinach/kale/chard blend, with salsa (still trying to work in veggies...)

Snack: carrots and almonds

Lunch: leftover chocolate chili over steamed broccoli with olives

*Dinner Plan: Cilantro/Lime Chicken Thighs, Roasted Zucchini & Sweet Potato

64 oz water, 8 hrs sleep

I was also excited to discover that peppermint tea tastes really good with nothing added to it!! Yay! I have a beverage option besides water!! :)  And Trader Joes has a kielbasa sausage with all approved ingredients - my husband is going to be glad about that!!

Question: Is anything that lists "artificial flavor" outlawed? What if it lists "natural flavor"? I'm guessing both are off limits?

Yeah, I was afraid that the smoothie was too much fruit....bummer. There were about 3 cups of veggies with the taco salad: a spinach/kale/chard blend for the base, with bell peppers, mushrooms, tomato, and broccoli.

I'll keep working on adding veggies to breakfast and I can put the scale away..... but the apple pie bites...that's a hard one!!! Ok...fine. Sure. Yeah. I'll get rid of them.  But just so we are clear, I'll be making a fresh batch in 26 days. :D

What you do post Whole 30 is entirely up to you. We (the moderators) just want to encourage people to follow the program as designed so they get the maximum intended benefits. Once your 30 days are over you can evaluate your experience and ride your bike accordingly. :)

"Natural flavors" are typically ok. Such as if you get sparkling waters (another great beverage option) that are lemon or lime flavored. As long as there's no artificial sweeteners you're all good.

The scale was a tough one for me at first too. But a year and a half later I don't even know where it is in my house, and couldn't care less - it's a great habit to break.

So...my pants are no longer falling off. For the first time in my life I am happy about that because according to the timeline getting bloated around day 6 is an indication that things are going in the right direction. Yay for being bloated!!  :D lol

The lime/cilantro chicken and zucchini I made on day five....FREAKING AMAZING!!!!! Easy,fast, super cheap, and DELICIOUS. With the chicken skin on it felt like a decadent treat (I can't remember the last time I ate the skin).

Day 6 (yesterday)   Breakfast: blueberry eggs and a handful of carrots

Lunch: leftover chicken and zucchini

Dinner: BIG veggie salad with 3/4 an avocado, green beans *****

*****So, I experienced my first social outing on whole30... It was dinner at my mom's and I had already talked to her about my menu restrictions. I offered to just bring separate food for me and my hubby but she insisted that she wanted to make something that we could eat. My autistic nephew was going to be there and he is very strictly glutton/dairy free, so she was already halfway there. She made green beans sauted in olive oil and garlic (yum), mashed potatoes (we just skipped those), salad (yum), and a pot roast. I asked her everything that went in with the potroast: meat, onion, carrots, seasoning. I made her go to her cupboard and read the seasoning blend ingredients - she thought I was nuts, but my steak blend at home has sugar in it, so she did and it was fine. Yay....then when we got there (and all I had brought was my homemade creamy vinagarette...yum, btw) I see the empty beef broth container by the crockpot. It has pure cane sugar and yeast extract listed. She felt horrible, and I felt horrible that she felt horrible. My aunt started in with the "a little bit isn't going to kill you..if you can manage 80/20 you are a saint....no one can comply 100%" And for a minute I was thinking that she was probably right. Plus, I was SUPER hungry, which didn't help. AND I was already sacrificing knowing that I wouldn't be having a piece of the Costco chocolate cake...which is my absolute most favorite of all desserts. But here's the thing... I have been feeling GREAT. My brain fog that has plagued me for the last year....is lifted. I wake up in the morning and can face the day and feel good without drinking a monster energy drink. I don't crave ANYTHING. NOTHNG. I am PROUD of what I am doing. I am PROUD that I have made it this far. IT WASN'T WORTH IT to me to risk it. My husband, he risked it and I think that is perfectly ok. I doubt it will ruin him and the man needed some meat with his dinner. He resisted the potatoes and the dessert. I filled my plate with salad and beans and I put an extra half avocado on my salad with a big glass of water....it was delightful. I was actually completely satisfied with the meal. I even expected that when I got home I would want to eat some meat, but I wasn't hungry at all, so I didn't.

So today is day 7 and we are still going strong :D

Archived