Whole30 and Calorie Counting

I'm on Day 13 of my Whole30 Challenge and I have been tracking my food in a journal which every now and then I put into CalorieKing out of curiosity. I have always tried to stick to 1,200 calories/day when I was trying to lose weight and I've noticed that since doing the Whole30 some days I will eat around 1,700 and others I won't eat more than 1,000.

I haven't really let this worry me, but yesterday I noticed that in two meals I was already at 1,100 and convinced myself I was too full for dinner so didn't eat. I don't want to go back to calorie counting but is there a limit as to exactly how many I should be eating? And what are the effects of skipping meals? I have had days (on weekends) where I have a late breakfast (11-12pm) and therefore only fit in dinner in the early evening. I don't end up feeling hungry, in fact, really satisfied, but am I doing the wrong thing?

Sorry for so many questions, just getting into the nitty gritty stuff now I suppose : )

I'll let one of the smarter folks answer this question more in depth, but here's my take.

(1) The reason we aren't supposed to count calories or track what we're eating on the Whole30 is because we're supposed to be learning our bodies and the signals our bodies send when they're full, or hungry, or thirsty, or whatever.  When you say you put your meals into calorie counter and "convinced" yourself that you were too full for dinner, you're not really learning your body's signals.  That's a major part of the Whole30, so I suggest you drop the counting for the rest of your time.  Just eat, according to the template (palm sized serving of protein, 1-2 cups of veggies, 1 serving of fat), and let your body tell you what it needs.

(2) Personally, I think that unless you're 4'0" and sedentary, 1200 calories is too low for most people, even women.  Some people may disagree with me on this point, but that's my opinion.

Good luck!

There is a reason that calorie counting is not allowed for a Whole30. That's right, against the rules. For real. One of the purposes of the Whole30 is to learn how to listen to our bodies and actually feed them what they need when they need it. We can't do that when we are second guessing because of the number of calories we ate.Our bodies know what we need but we have spent so much time suppressing those cues that they don't come anymore.

I personally put off doing a Whole30 for a few months because I wasn't ready to give up LoseIt and I'm a big rule follower. Giving up counting calories was one of the best things I did for my body. 

My challenge for you is to stop counting for the rest of your Whole30. Make 3 template meals a day and make yourself eat within and hour of waking, and then 5-6 hours later, and 5-6 hours after that. Even if you don't think you are hungry. If you have been chronically limiting your calories for a long time it will take some time for your body to realize you are actually feeding it again.

I will also add that I was a member of CalorieKing for a long time. I lost a lot of weight, but I didn't feel better or sleep better. And then I gained it all back. All of it. And I couldn't get any of it to come off again without radically changing how I ate and viewed food.

Thanks guys, just what I needed to hear today.

I am a big numbers person so not being able to weigh myself, or measure or count calories is a daunting thing to undertake but I'll commit to it from here : )

Cheers x

I am a big numbers person so not being able to weigh myself, or measure or count calories is a daunting thing to undertake but I'll commit to it from here : )

Cheers x

I have a hard time not getting on the scale too. I've spent way too much time weighing and measuring my food in the past so that isn't an issue for me but that darn scale...

I just want to hop on and see what I've done these past 5 days. I'm trusting the plan so I won't do it, but I want to.

Cheers x

I understand the numbers thing. Both my degrees are in technical/science fields so I so get it. I just use different numbers now - number on my waist band, number of hours of sleep, number of pushups I can do, etc. ;)

I have a hard time not getting on the scale too. I've spent way too much time weighing and measuring my food in the past so that isn't an issue for me but that darn scale...

I just want to hop on and see what I've done these past 5 days. I'm trusting the plan so I won't do it, but I want to.

The problem is the results of your past 5 days may or may not show up on your scale. What if you stepped on the scale and it showed you gained a pound (which could be from anything even how much water you had) would you already call your W30 a failure? After my W30 I decided to weigh myself once a month. And then Nov 1 rolled around and I forgot. And that was the end of the scale. Your health is so much more than a number on the scale.

More reading on the matter:

http://everydaypaleo.com/attention-scale-addicts/

http://everydaypaleo.com/attention-scale-addicts-part-2/

Archived