Is it ever too late?

Ayla2010

• Moderators

I'm not an expert, but here's what I think -- even if you have done damage to your body, even if that damage can't be 100% corrected, as long as you're alive, eating better and taking better care of yourself can still be beneficial. 

For instance, take something like a stroke that may leave someone partially paralyzed. There's a good chance that nothing they do can completely fix that. However, if they decide to start eating better, they could still feel better, they could prevent future strokes, they could heal other, non-stroke-related problems. I think the same thing could apply to other diseases and illnesses, even if there is something that can't be made 100% whole again, that doesn't mean you wouldn't see some benefits.

For whatever it's worth, I do wonder about this sometimes. I've been overweight my whole life. At my heaviest, I weighed 337 lbs (I'm a 5'4" female, so that's more than twice what all the charts say I should weigh). I'm also a cancer survivor -- I had to undergo a hysterectomy, six rounds of chemo, and two different kinds of radiation, but I've been cancer free for more than five years now. I suspect there are things that no amount of clean eating will ever fix after all of that. But after completing my first Whole30 a few months ago, I know I feel better eating this way, so I'm going to keep at it, to the best of my ability. The other option would be to go back to eating the way I was before, when I was achy and depressed, and somehow that doesn't seem appealing.

• 10 months later...

Be brave enough to try again.

It's never too late.

Leptin/Insulin Resistance was trying to take me out.   I wanted to fight like M. Ali and Smokin' Joe Frazier....and kick this thing to the curb.   I am still in the ring but it doesn't have me up against the ropes....Rope-a-Dope.   It will take you longer than 30 days to knock something like this out of your life.   It didn't happen overnight and it won't go away without a fight.

I'm at the 6th month mark of  a Whole 90 and a Slow Roll reintro.    I've let 50 lbs and 8 inches off my waist go into the ethers.   Sure, there's more to go...another 25.

It's not too late.   Get back up and don't let life Rope-a-Dope you around.

Be brave enough to try again.

It is never too late.   Be Brave.    broc.gif

If you have a significant amount of mass that you want to disappear....forever,  you have to get up and move from the very beginning.

You cannot wait until the weight is gone.   You do not want to be left with  shar-pei body parts.    The only way you can do that is to build muscle mass underneath the skin.

We can't get the tone we want by sitting on it or being sedentary.   If you wait, your heart and muscles will still be in sedentary mode.   The heart has to work and the muscles have to emerge.

If you wait and don't do any exercise , removing mass will relieve the burden on your joints....but your metabolism is going to take a hit.

The probability for rebound weight gain will be very great.   Building muscle mass under that skin is the only way to avoid loose skin.

Building muscle mass builds up your confidence, too.

Archived