Day 4 of 1st whole 30

Kryztle

Yeah whole 30 doesn't want any dairy! I got advice from others on here and they told me to use coconut milk in my coffee. Believe it or not it's pretty good...not as sweet as I like my coffee though...that will change with time :) make sure to read ingredients with the coconut milk and anything you buy!! You can do this. I'm under snow storm as well so I understand being snowed in and all you can do it do your best :)

What kind of coconut milk do you use in your coffee?  Just regular canned coconut milk?  Are there any other alternatives for the no dairy in coffee that you know of?  I am on day four and cheated today (cream and 1/4 tsp of sugar (!!) in coffee) after three days of drinking coffee black and finding it painful.  (I hate to say it, but it was the BEST cup of coffee EVER this morning...).  

I just use regular canned coconut milk not light that is whole 30 approved. I read somewhere that you can add ghee to it as well, but I don't know how I feel about that, lol! I have actually began enjoying my coffee with coconut milk, I will continue drinking it this way unless I absolutely want a sweet drink! You can do this!!! I am on Day 20 now and love this program! It was hard the 1st couple of weeks.

What kind of coconut milk do you use in your coffee?  Just regular canned coconut milk?  Are there any other alternatives for the no dairy in coffee that you know of?  I am on day four and cheated today (cream and 1/4 tsp of sugar (!!) in coffee) after three days of drinking coffee black and finding it painful.  (I hate to say it, but it was the BEST cup of coffee EVER this morning...).  

I'm sorry you are having trouble enjoying black coffee. There are lots of suggestions on the boards about different ways to try it. I weaned myself down to black coffee before I did my W30 and I found the secret is getting really good coffee that isn't bitter.

All that said a mindful cheat like this does constitute a restart of the program (just think of it as a W34 if that helps). 

Another alternative is almond milk (homemade is best - hard pressed to find a store bought one with 100% compliant ingredients). Many people enjoy coconut oil and ghee blended (the blending is important) with their coffee. I've blended coconut butter into mine and found that to be quite decadent.

If you can't find a way to enjoy your coffee without cream and sugar maybe you need to ask yourself if you really like coffee or if it is just a mechanism to deliver sugar to your body. Part of this program is learning these truths about our eating habits and changing our relationship with food. If you had told me a year ago that I would be enjoying my coffee black I would have laughed at you but it is what I drink most of the time now. 

Thanks for the input.  I tried the coconut milk today in the coffee and found that I actually (can't believe that I am saying this) enjoy it better black!  Perhaps you're right about coffee as a deliverer of sugar to my body.  For now though, I don't want to give it up completely, I figure all the carb/sugar withdrawal is enough to handle without adding caffeine withdrawal to it.  At least I drink A LOT less coffee than I used to, and I will either end up enjoying it black or give it up completely once I get through this very hard part of the Whole30.  

(Oh and I am continuing to count days and not start back to "day one" despite my cheat, because I would find that too discouraging.  So here is to day five!)

(Oh and I am continuing to count days and not start back to "day one" despite my cheat, because I would find that too discouraging.  So here is to day five!)

It's fine to keep counting from day 5 but to have a full 30 days it should be 5 of 34. Does that make sense? 

Archived