Carrageenan in my almond milk????

Bean

Only on Day 2 and realized there is Carrageenan in my almond milk?? Now I am scared. What are my options? I can give up coffee after noon, and just have my cup or two in the morning. But not without creamer. Thought since I have been drinking it with unsweetened almond milk for past 2 years, I was safe on the Whole 30.

Try coconut milk, or coconut cream.

There are some brands of almond milk that do not have carrageenan: 365 Whole Foods, Trader Joes, Simple Truth (Kroger), Silk PureAlmond.  Make sure you check those brands that they dont have any other non-Whole30 ingredients, though.

I say either whipped coconut milk or black.  You got this.

Try coconut milk, or coconut cream.

There are some brands of almond milk that do not have carrageenan: 365 Whole Foods, Trader Joes, Simple Truth (Kroger), Silk PureAlmond.  Make sure you check those brands that they dont have any other non-Whole30 ingredients, though.

Be careful with these commercial brands.  I was at Whole Foods and found one where the ingredients look GREAT, but further down it states that it "contains 2% or less of the following...".  Both sugar and carrageenan were listed. Just FYI!

Not familiar with carrageenan -  I bought some coconut milk that was a creamer - and somehow thought it was coconut cream - last night I realized it had cane sugar in it - so no more creamer.  was planning to go back and read on the coconut products to see what else there is?  Some of the suggestions made to you - I will probably try. 

I bought some sort of dandelion  root - chicory root mix that taste sorta like coffee when you mix with hot water - it's suppose to be good for immune system.  trying that and herbal teas for now.  One pot of coffee is lasting 3 to 4 days and I have been pouring some down sink. 

I think this might be good!. 

Glad to know someone else is running into a few bloopers as I have this week - knowing that we can do this and it's not as hard as some  things helps.  :) 

I know the feeling about the almond milk, I found that Silk doesnt have carageenan but does contain locust bean gum.  I'm sure not a good thing either.  Since looking into the Whole 9 i found carageenan (and plenty of sugar substitutes) in tootpaste as well.  I looked at two grocery stores this weekend and can't find a fluoride toothpaste without it.  This includes Tom's Naturals.  Pretty sad state of affairs as to how many food addatives are out there.  I'm starting on day 1 of the whole 30 and decided to drink the rest of my locust bean gum "contaminated" almond milk in order not to pour it out. 

You really can do coffee black. I say this as a person who loves caramel machiattos, Mexican mochas, and maple cappuccinos. On day 3 of trying and failing to drink black coffee it just clicked on a very weak cup of at bucks breakfast blend. Make it weaker than normal and try a light flavor. I don't *enjoy* it like I used to, but I'm glad I'm doing it!

Archived