Recommendations for Structured Strength Training Program

ktothev

One of my goals as part of the whole30 is to incorporate regular (2-3 times a week) strength training into my other activities.

I am a middle-aged female who is fairly fit and strong, and I have done some sort of weight training off and on for years. However, I have recently tried to switch from the the traditional lighter weight/higher reps to "lift heavy" mentality. I started on the ChaLean Extreme program, which I do think is probably a good program, but I'm sorry, she drives me nuts, the background music is horrible, and some of the compound moves are a little complex/difficult to get right. (On the flip side, I have other Beach Body fitness programs, most notably Body Combat, which I adore...great instructors, great music, but these are all cardio or interval type training, not strength training).

I have a good set of handweights, from 3 pounds up to 25 pounds, so I'm looking for a structured, progressive program that will use the equipment I already have. This could be a video/DVD but might be better if it was just a written program so I can use my own music and pace when I lift.

Any suggestions? Of course, I googled, but there is such a huge amount of stuff out there I thought I'd ask for recommendations here.

check out Cathe.com and look up her STS program.  I have used it with great result.  She also has other DVD"s to choose from, but what you are looking for I think the STS dvd's will do it for you.

Let me know what you think ;)

If you are interested in lifting heaving then I highly recommend barbell work. If you could find access to a barbell and plates then a Wendler 5/3/1 program is a great progression for starting strength protocol.

If you aren't interested in barball work then kettlebell's are another great option for building strenth. Tom is a really good resources for KB quesitons :)

Archived