Mayo thread

spacy

What are your best tricks for mayo? Do you have a favorite oil? a favorite acid?

We all love Melissa Joulwan's mayo recipe. How do you customize it in your kitchen? Do you love a different recipe?

Most importantly, how do you eat your mayo?

I made my first batch with fresh lemon juice and light olive oil in the food processor. The benefit to using the big machine is no drizzling. The 'food pusher' that fits into the feed tube is actually a little cup with a small hole in the bottom. Dump the oil in there and it drizzles in at a consistent, slow rate for perfect emulsions. For me, this is one of those 'hidden functions' you overlook for ages until someone points it out.

So far I have used my house mayo for tuna and salmon salad, thinned with balsamic for salad dressing, and smeared on hard-boiled eggs with hot sauce for breakfast. As the sole mayo-eater at my house, I need fresh ideas to use this stuff up. It would be a crime if it went bad for lack of use.

I use it on chicken breasts to bake. I mix up Penzey's Sunny Paris, some sea salt and mayo then smooth it on the top of the breast and bake at 400 until done on a baking rack/cookie sheet.

It sounds weird, but it is really good and great to take to lunch.

my wife made some coconut shrimp the other night, so we took some of the mayo (same recipe from the Well Fed book) - and added some Tessemae's Hot Sauce to it and mixed it up to make a spicy mayo dip - it was excellent.  I was almost eating the spicy mayo with my fork once the shrimp was gone.

I make mine just like you mentioned in the food processor except I have started using white vinegar and avocado oil. It tastes no different to me than lemon juice/light olive oil.

Recently, I have really been loving using it as a base for sauces.

So, in place of ketchup, I use mayo mixed with salsa. I am also really love green harissa mixed with mayo as a dip for pretty much anything. I need to try that baking method mentioned. That sounds yummy.

Ooo, I forgot about dipping artichokes in mayo! Thanks for the links and ideas. I plan on baking chicken with mayo this weekend, I think it sounds good. My home cooked chicken never tastes quite right. Maybe this will do the trick.

Ooo, I forgot about dipping artichokes in mayo! Thanks for the links and ideas. I plan on baking chicken with mayo this weekend, I think it sounds good. My home cooked chicken never tastes quite right. Maybe this will do the trick.

I made pistachio-encrusted chicken using homemade mayo - yum! http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/13507-pistachio-encrusted-chicken/

I use the 'food pusher' thingy, too!

Unless I know I'll be making a lot of seafood items, I use ACV instead of lemon juice.  Too lemony for me on many things otherwise. 

I used to work at a seafood restaurant whose signature dish was a baked scrod smeared with mayo, a sprinkle of Old Bay or your preferred seasoned salt, and a splash of dry vermouth (not W30).  Try broiling a piece of fish with it.  It makes a kind of black crust that is sooo good, particularly if you squeeze some fresh lemon over it.

I use the immersion blender to make mayo - can't be any easier with a quick 2 minute blend of all ingredients and perfect mayo every time. I'm a huge mayo nut - can eat it on anything, but what I like it on best with the paleo diet is potato salad. Get the WHITE sweet potatoes, bake them as usual, peel, chop and put on the mayo. I usually include some black olives for a bit of "zing". Then whatever meat I'm having I cut into small pieces and mix that up with the potatoes and mayo - LOVE it! The sweet potatoes have such a rich flavor and with the meat and mayo in each bite - I'm seriously addicted.

I use the handmixer to - just dump in two egg yolks, squeeze in the juice of a lemon and a tsp dijon mustand. Carefully add all the oil at once. Then put the immension blender in there and let it slowly work its way through the oil. I listen to the pitch to hear when it is time to move it around a bit to get more oil into the emulsion. Season with seasalt and bp at the end. Thick, white, yummy mayo every time!

I have made it with lime juice and added lime zest and a pinch of cayenne pepper at the end. Great for seafood or chicken.

I also like to mix the mayo with chipotle paste for a spicy kick that is great on eggs or meat,

I have to try the chicken recipes - they all sound amazingly good!

My preferred style is avocado oil, ACV, and massive amounts of garlic. Enough garlic that it burns just a little bit to eat it! I use it a lot of tuna salad. I also like use it as a dipping sauce for roasted veggies - particularly root veggies and brussel sprouts. If I want to change up the flavor, I'll mix in a little sriracha or balsamic vinegar.  I seriously love mayo. I think homemade mayo is probably my favorite thing I've discovered since converting to paleo. I never used mayo before because the store bought stuff tasted so weird to me.

Mine is much more liquid than I expected. But I'm a good direction follower...I don't know what went wrong.

Have you let it chill after you have made it? That can help, and during the summer, I was having a lot of issues with my mayo breaking, so I started doing one whole egg+1 yolk and now it is just thick and luscious! Also, if you are doing the one from Well Fed, make sure you use the whole amount of dry mustard and salt--that seems to make all the difference. 

I like to make mine with half lemon juice and half white vinegar, and I always use dry mustard and light olive oil. I use my immersion blender and it comes out beautifully every time!

I like to add a little extra salt, garlic powder and dill for a homemade ranch dip for veggies or as salad dressing.

I also just tried mixing in some diced chipotle pepper (the kind in adobo sauce) and garlic for a spicy dip for sweet potato wedges, and it was fantastic. 

I thought I would post here instead of starting a whole new thread!  I love our homemade mayo, it's great for every kind of sauce and dip that I can imagine.  But I'm having a hard time finding a "sweeter" dip version.  Not necessarily for the sake of sweetness, but I am looking for a little variety.  Planning on having some jicama sticks with breakfast in the mornings and I would love a dip to go with that, or apples even.  Maybe cinnamon or some such spices?  Recipes or ideas for that?

• 2 weeks later...

Crunchylutheranmommy, you can substitute macadamia nut oil in the mayonnaise for the olive oil. It is milder, with a sweet nutty taste. The recipe is in nom nom paleo ( the book), but you could check out her blog for the recipe. Otherwise it's a simple substitution

I made it with extra virgin olive oil (which was not recommended) and it was not good.  I got the light salad olive oil as suggested and eveyrone loved it!  I used the immersion blender and it only took 10 seconds!  It was great in chicken salad.  I will try some of the other suggested uses as well.  I feel fine even after eating a room temperature egg!

Archived