First Whole 30!

Marisa

I began my first whole 30 yesterday, January 6, 2014. My overall goals are related to weight loss and fertility. My husband is joining me (somewhat reluctantly) on this adventure.

So far so good! I've gotten a little headache-y and dizzy but nothing too bad through 1.5 days. I'm planning to use this space to log my meals and my progress. Wish me luck!

Hey there! How's it going? I also stared on Monday and am feeling pretty tired today.  I'm the only one doing the whole30 in my house (I live in a house full of boys who don't eat vegetables, lol) so this is going to get interesting.  Last night i wanted to snatch my husbands glass of wine out of his hand and down it in two gulps, which was weird because I have maybe had 4 glasses of wine in the last 3 months (nursing a 6 month old)! Hope Day 3 is going well for you! 

Hi! It's going pretty well, so far. I feel a little less bad but I still have a mild headache. Boo! Bravo for doing this on your own. I think it would make me nuts to see my husband having wine while I couldn't!!

The last two days, I've been focusing on getting up early enough to get a real breakfast before going to work. Day 1 I just had a banana and a hard-boiled egg, and I was way too hungry. Yesterday and today we made omelets with tons of veggies and meat. This morning was particularly delicious: eggs, ground turkey "sausage" (I seasoned the turkey myself with herbs, salt, and pepper last night, so not really sausage), bell peppers, onions, leeks, chard, and a 1/2 avocado on top. I still was ready for lunch by about noon (didn't have time to eat until about 1:15 when I squeezed in 20 min for a lunch break. I work at a middle school so I always have something going on during the school day).

Hubs is making dinner tonight: pan-fried flounder, sauteed bell peppers, mushrooms, onions, and green beans, and a salad. I have been enjoying a cup of herbal tea in the evenings instead of a sweet treat (or a glass of wine! lol) and that's pretty satisfying.

I'm not particularly missing anything (yet) but I do find it interesting that it's physically difficult to eat enough at each meal so that I won't be hungry between meals. I know the book says not to snack, but I just can't hold a large enough portion at one time to not be hungry. Maybe my body will adjust eventually. For the moment, I have been bringing veggie sticks, nuts, and a small apple to work each day in case hunger strikes.

Thanks for checking in! Hope you're doing well!

Anyone care to critique my meals? Yesterday I was rather hungry so I upped my meal 1 portion today.

Day 3 (yesterday)

Meal 1: scrambled eggs (3) with ground turkey, bell peppers, onions, cabbage, leeks and 1/2 avocado (split with husband), coffee with almond milk (no 'bad' ingredients - I checked label!), fresh squeezed orange juice, banana (snack about 3 hours after meal 1)

Meal 2: chicken soup with kale, sweet potatoes, mushrooms, chicken thighs, small apple, veggie sticks (jicama, bell pepper, celery, carrot, radishes, olives)

Meal 3: pan-fried flounder (~5-6 oz) cooked in clarified butter, green beans sauteed with bell pepper, onions, mushrooms, and garlic, salad with beets, avocado, olives, and pumpkin seeds

Ginger tea after dinner.

Day 4 (today)

Meal 1: 1 slice bacon, leeks, chard sauteed & scrambled with 3 eggs, 1/2 avocado, 1/2 grapefruit, coffee with almond milk

Meal 2: acorn squash with ground turkey, bell peppers, cabbage, onions, veggie sticks (jicama, bell pepper, celery, carrot, radishes, olives), small apple, sparkling water

Meal 3: ? Hopefully hubs will cook again. Flounder last night was excellent! I think we'll do pork roast with purple cabbage and carrot slaw (olive oil & vinegar dressing) and maybe leftover green beans or some steamed broccoli.

Thanks!

Overall, things look good.

Some tweaks:

- juice is only to be used in limited amounts as a flavoring in cooking, not to drink

- snacks, if needed, should be a mini-meal, including a protein and fat. 

- have your 1-2 servings of fruit as part of or immediately after a meal

Make sure your bacon is compliant: no sugar, sweetener, or other nasties.

• 3 weeks later...

I am nearing the end, but had a weekend of partial non-compliance when we went out of town. (Beer, tortilla chips, crab salad with non compliant mayo, you get the picture.) Beer gave me a terrible hangover. wont be doing that again! I also broke the rules and weighed myself. Gosh, I just can't seem to resist temptation! So I restarted Jan 21st.

I'm enjoying cooking and eating well, and I also love when I bring leftovers to work for lunch and my coworkers ask "what's THAT?" with a slightly horrified tone of voice as they eat their cafeteria food (fries, pizza, burritos, potato chips, sandwiches, etc.) I never feel deprived!

I'm seriously amazed and kind of grossed out by all the food commercials on TV. Most of the stuff they are selling I wouldn't even consider to be food. Eww.

I love homemade mayo, and especially using it in salad dressings. I love coconut milk in my coffee. I love drinking herbal tea after dinner (instead of drinking wine). I love eating frittata for breakfast - I make one every weekend using 8-10 eggs, 1lb ground turkey, leeks/onions, bell peppers, mushrooms, kale, and spices, makes 6 portions - I reheat one piece each workday and add 1/2 avocado and 1/2 grapefruit or a tangerine for a quick and very satisfying breakfast. I love walking to the farmers market on Saturday mornings. Yesterday I bought a pound of baby turnips, a head of curly endive, a bag of baby stir fry greens, a pound of ground pork (local, organic) and split a 2 pound grass-fed local organic top sirloin steak with my mom. I spent $25 total, and mom and I will cook the steak and eat it together next weekend.

Things I dislike: the sheer volume of dishes I create when cooking. It feels like we are constantly doing dishes. I can't wait for our kitchen remodel - coming later this year, I hope - when we put in a dishwasher. I also dislike the mess I make when making mayo (my blender is a bit spurt-y). I dislike shopping for food because of all the disgusting "food-like" stuff for sale in the grocery stores. This has really opened my eyes to the crazy amount of non compliant food available.

Things I dislike: the sheer volume of dishes I create when cooking. It feels like we are constantly doing dishes. I can't wait for our kitchen remodel - coming later this year, I hope - when we put in a dishwasher. I also dislike the mess I make when making mayo (my blender is a bit spurt-y).

Tell me about it! I would kill for a dishwasher right about now! I eat most of my meals on the go, so in addition to cooking I use an obscene amount of Tupperware. I think I'm keeping Dawn dish soap in business.

Archived