Starting today, Jan 8th

Zingano

My husband and I are both starting today - a difficult day to start as it's the one after his birthday party and we're both nursing hangovers. Although a big bowl of Thai coconut milk soup with prawns for lunch has me feeling a lot better!

Anyone else starting today? And anyone else in the UK? It would be nice to swap food hints for things available here.

post-38614-0-79885900-1389185130_thumb.j

Yay! I started today too (along with my boyfriend), and I've been waiting for someone to start up a thread (I couldn't possibly start my own, couldn't handle the rejection if no one joins in!) AAAAAAAAAND I'm in the UK! Bonus. Here's what I ate today:

Breakfast: Tinned salmon mixed with chopped avocados dressed with lime and ginger on top of mixed salad leaves with a poached egg plonked on top (this was a really rushed meal because I've had my dad and sister staying the last few days and then about a million people for dinner last night so not much time! I had bought some tinned crab meat but luckily read the ingredients before opening it -- it has sugar!!)

Lunch: Leftover Chocolate Chilli (from Well Fed) over steamed romanesco cauliflower with guacamole on top

Dinner will be leftover Cheater Pork Stew (from Nom Nom Paleo) with some sort of veg (probably cauli and cabbage as that's what we have in the fridge!)

I wanted to start on 2nd Jan but my Dad's visiting from Malaysia and I didn't want to spend my time with him being picky and annoying about food. He leaves on Sunday but I think I'll manage OK since he's staying at my grandparents' place now so the pressure to cook and drink is much less. Plus we had a long chat with him about the Whole30 so he understands what we're doing and why. He's keen to see how we do...I suggested that he might like to try it, or at least some form of elimination as he has very bad psoriasis. We'll see...

This is my second Whole30 and although it's only Day One it's already a whole lot easier than the previous. Not that I struggled much at all but it's the meal planning and the knowing what to cook and what I want to eat in the mornings that is much easier this time around. If you haven't got them I highly highly recommend Melissa Joulwan's Well Fed and Well Fed 2 as a starting point for food cooking as well as Michelle Tam's Nom Nom Paleo Food For Humans. They both also have blogs, which I'm sure you've found already, with lots of recipes, ideas and tips on how to manage the Whole30.

Thanks for the link! I've found that Abel and Cole do spaghetti squash - never found it in the UK before. They also seem to have some sausages that look W30 compliant - what do you think?

http://www.abelandcole.co.uk/meat/sausages-bacon-burgers?f=283

Anyway I've signed up for a weekly veg box and a weekly salad box - perhaps I'll try some veggie I wouldn't normally try.

Dinner last night was my Mexican warm chicken salad - roast some chicken thighs, chop into chunks and mix with a salad of leaves, tomatoes, red onion and avocado, dressed with a lime dressing. Quite filling which was what I needed yesterday!

This morning I feel so much better! Have been for a run and then had some scrambled eggs for breakfast. I don't normally eat breakfast, so I'm wondering whether to start or not.

Hi Zingano,

The cumberland sausages from Abel and Cole look compliant; the others are not. Good idea on the veg box...such a good way to discover new vegetables! I go to the farmer's market every week to get my veg and speak to the farmers about some of the weirder vegetables and get tips on how to cook them. It's nice to be able to interact with the people who actually produces the food, makes you feel much closer to what you're eating!

Today I started off well:

Breakfast: leftover bun xao vegetable salad with leftover crab and avocado mix from yesterday's breakfast

Lunch: BBQ beef on top of salad leaves...

But then I still felt hungry so I went to holland and barrat and ended up getting a big bag of toasted coconut (this is really stupid since we have SO much coconut at home just waiting to be toasted), a jar of hazelnut butter and 2 nakd bars. The really stupid thing is I could have just got the coconut or the hazelnut butter and had that with some apple puree (which I'd brought in to the office today) and some cocoa nibs sprinkled on top.

What I've learnt:
- I need more than just meat + leaves. It's probably not that I didn't have enough food, more that it's just not varied, interesting enough
- If I still feel hungry I should wait half an hour, drink some water, and then see if I still feel hungry.
- emergency fat for this sort of situation is necessary. e.g. avocados, olives, toasted coconut chips, nut butter in a pinch. All these things I should have on hand in the office, although my experience from the first Whole30 tells me I should keep them at arm's length so that if I eat them it's an effort. This stops me snacking mindlessly.
- the Nakd bars may be OK ingredients wise (Just dates, cashews, raisins and cocoa) but they're VERY sweet so I felt like I was eating a chocolate bar (it doesn't taste like it but it feels like it). I don't think I have major sugar issues but I can see how someone would get into the habit of eating one a day to satisfy a sweet craving. It felt wrong to me!

I remember from the first Whole30 getting this feeling of still being hungry and not quite satisfied, and I would do mad shops in Holland and Barratts and ending up with loads of stuff which were FINE, ingredient wise, but in reality just encouraged me to snack!! Anyway, lesson learnt, onwards and upwards!!

Hi Zingano,

The cumberland sausages from Abel and Cole look compliant; the others are not. Good idea on the veg box...such a good way to discover new vegetables! I go to the farmer's market every week to get my veg and speak to the farmers about some of the weirder vegetables and get tips on how to cook them. It's nice to be able to interact with the people who actually produces the food, makes you feel much closer to what you're eating!

Today I started off well:

Breakfast: leftover bun xao vegetable salad with leftover crab and avocado mix from yesterday's breakfast

Lunch: BBQ beef on top of salad leaves...

But then I still felt hungry so I went to holland and barrat and ended up getting a big bag of toasted coconut (this is really stupid since we have SO much coconut at home just waiting to be toasted), a jar of hazelnut butter and 2 nakd bars. The really stupid thing is I could have just got the coconut or the hazelnut butter and had that with some apple puree (which I'd brought in to the office today) and some cocoa nibs sprinkled on top.

What I've learnt:

- I need more than just meat + leaves. It's probably not that I didn't have enough food, more that it's just not varied, interesting enough

- If I still feel hungry I should wait half an hour, drink some water, and then see if I still feel hungry.

- emergency fat for this sort of situation is necessary. e.g. avocados, olives, toasted coconut chips, nut butter in a pinch. All these things I should have on hand in the office, although my experience from the first Whole30 tells me I should keep them at arm's length so that if I eat them it's an effort. This stops me snacking mindlessly.

- the Nakd bars may be OK ingredients wise (Just dates, cashews, raisins and cocoa) but they're VERY sweet so I felt like I was eating a chocolate bar (it doesn't taste like it but it feels like it). I don't think I have major sugar issues but I can see how someone would get into the habit of eating one a day to satisfy a sweet craving. It felt wrong to me!

I remember from the first Whole30 getting this feeling of still being hungry and not quite satisfied, and I would do mad shops in Holland and Barratts and ending up with loads of stuff which were FINE, ingredient wise, but in reality just encouraged me to snack!! Anyway, lesson learnt, onwards and upwards!!

Sounds like some good learning going on!

Yes, I would agree you need more vegetables than just leaves: get 1-3 cups in at every meal, in accordance with the meal template. http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf

If you are truly hungry between meals (hungry = you could eat steamed fish and broccoli), and your meals fit the template, have a mini meal that includes a protein and fat.

The Nakd bars sound like Larabars in the US.  Have those only for emergency purposes while on a Whole30.

Thanks Chris! The whole thing about (hungry = you could eat steamed fish and broccoli) is good, I need to remember that. Maybe I'll have a postit note on my desk that says 'But are you hungry enough to eat steamed fish and broccoli?' And then have a glass of water and ask again in half an hour.

I think technically I had at least a cup of vegetables but they were just plain salad leaves with a tiny drizzle of oil and vinegar -- I simply didn't have time to do more prep this morning! I'm bringing in all my lunches to the office and really struggling to get everything ready for myself and my boyfriend. But we've had a good chat about it and have begun to formulate a better plan. It was a bad week to start as I had guests up until the morning we started so no time to get ready. I know how important it is to be prepared from my first Whole30 (and from life in general!) so I just need to get to work!

Interestingly I've just heard from my boyfriend that he wasn't hungry after lunch (and we had identical lunches) so perhaps it's psychological for me...I know I'm being restrictive so I think about food more. I normally eat a fairly compliant packed lunch at work and don't feel the need to snack when I'm NOT on the Whole30 so there's obviously something going on there. 

Anyway...am I hungry enough to eat steamed fish and broccoli??!!

Today my lunch was brown shrimp salad - the salad being leaves, tomatoes, red pepper and some red onion, dressed with some of my home-made easy mayonnaise. And the same thing happened to me - just now I was hungry and went and ate too many slices of (compliant) ham.

The funny thing is that this is pretty much my usual lunch when not on W30 (though often with ½ an avocado) - but, then I still would have snacked, and probably on cheese. I think I'm hungrier after nearly a month of overdoing it leading through Christmas, New Year and my husband's birthday, so perhaps I need to ignore those hunger pangs a little.

Good to know those Cumberland sausages are OK, thanks!

Actually I've found most parma ham/prosciutto from e.g. Tesco and Sainsbury's are fine. Ingredients usually Pork, Salt. We found a lovely man at the Chiswick farmer's market selling organic polish food, including cured meats and sausages that had no preservatives or sugar in. 

I've not been getting alerts either! I thought I had set them on.

Anyway, how are you doing? I've had a bit of a rough week in terms of sleep: just not getting to bed early enough. I've got a plan now though: phones off by 9.30, n bed by 10, asleep by 10.30. I was inspired by the daily emails when they said not even chores should get in the way of bed...and that's always my problem! I always want to finish the washing up, or make my lunch for the next day, etc. Anyway, sleep is my main priority now!

Hope all's going well for you!

Archived