Serious coffee cravings - days 9 and 10

IanB

Yes, I know, coffee is allowed, but not for me - if I'm detoxing then that has to go to. And it hasn't been a problem all week, but the last couple of days...!

I've written extensively about it today, you can read it and see the video here if you care to. Might be useful - today I've examined what's going on with these cravings rather than just complaining about them. Sneaky they are, and persuasive too, but just for today I shall say No!

Wobbling but staying on

IanB

I've been drinking my coffee black, which is not the best but have been craving for some cream in it.  Like cannot-wait-til-day-31-for-a-good-cup-of-coffee.

Looking at what your eating though, it doesnt look like you are getting any veggies with M1 and M2.  I'm not sure if that has anything to do with cravings but i'm sure it could help.

Well, looking back I think IanB's made good veggie choices. Today was just light on them.

Though I do agree, IanB, I would nix the smoothies completely.  And since it's winter in our hemisphere I only eat fruit sparingly, like once a week if that. 

Yes, I know, coffee is allowed, but not for me - if I'm detoxing then that has to go to. And it hasn't been a problem all week, but the last couple of days...!

I've written extensively about it today, you can read it and see the video here if you care to. Might be useful - today I've examined what's going on with these cravings rather than just complaining about them. Sneaky they are, and persuasive too, but just for today I shall say No!

Wobbling but staying on

IanB

Do you have a copy of the meal template?  Every single Whole30 meal should follow this template: http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf

That means what all previous posters have said: you need veggies at every meal - aim for 1-3 cups.  Don't let fruit push veggies off your plate.

And yes, nix the smoothies. :) They are discouraged on a Whole30. The idea is to chew your food instead of drinking it, as chewing is more satiating.

Thanks for the input all :)

I'm usually pretty good on veggies - just breakfast I struggle with. As I've said elsewhere I think a couple of smoothies is an improvement over a couple of coffees and cigarettes, but not optimal I guess, even when it's green.

This morning:

1 banana
2 dates, small handful raisins

handful seeds - sunflower, pumpkin, chia, sesame
third of tin coconut milk

tablespoon ghee

2 big handfuls spinach

water

That's very green - more spinach than I'd eat with a meal as I don't really like it! And satisfying, four hours later and I'm not hungry yet. I'm thinking there's enough protein and fat in there to keep me going after the sugars run out - whatever the reason, this helps me to stick to 3 meals without snacks and means I eat a load of green I wouldn't normally get, so I'm pretty happy with it. Wakes me up too - good coffee substitute!

Cheers

IanB

EDIT// and yes, thank you, I have seen the meal template. I get it, I think, and I also know that, for me, there's needs to be a balance between optimal detoxing and not making myself so miserable I quit. Food, the enjoyment of the preparation and eating of it, is very important to me - I'm prepared to give up so much in the name of science and the pursuit of feeling better, but munching veggies for breakfast tips the scale way too far for me! So I blend stuff to make it taste better - and so I might eat more than I need because I'm not chewing. I see the danger there and again I'm not worried - I seem to be losing weight at the moment and that's not a good thing for me, I really don't need to (and no I'm not weighing, just noticing that my jeans are getting loose and the belt needs to go up a notch)

Thanks for the input all :)

I'm usually pretty good on veggies - just breakfast I struggle with. As I've said elsewhere I think a couple of smoothies is an improvement over a couple of coffees and cigarettes, but not optimal I guess, even when it's green.

This morning:

1 banana

2 dates, small handful raisins

handful seeds - sunflower, pumpkin, chia, sesame

third of tin coconut milk

tablespoon ghee

2 big handfuls spinach

water

That's very green - more spinach than I'd eat with a meal as I don't really like it! And satisfying, four hours later and I'm not hungry yet. I'm thinking there's enough protein and fat in there to keep me going after the sugars run out - whatever the reason, this helps me to stick to 3 meals without snacks and means I eat a load of green I wouldn't normally get, so I'm pretty happy with it. Wakes me up too - good coffee substitute!

Cheers

IanB

Where's your 1-2 palms of protein?   :)  Use the Whole30 shopping guide as your source for acceptable protein sources on a Whole30. http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Shopping-List.pdf

That's too much fruit at once: don't let fruit push protein, veggies or fat off your plate. 

Fruit is limited to 1-2 servings a day, where a serving is the size of your fist in most cases. Since 2 dates = 1 serving, you basically had the equivalent of 2-3 servings of fruit in 1 sitting: too much.

Again, follow the meal template - that is your "bible" for structuring each Whole30 meal.

EDIT: If you don't want to lose weight, this article may interest you: http://whole9life.com/2013/12/keeping-weight-whole30/

Archived