Weight Gain/Bloating

So I felt fine the first few days of the Whole30, when everyone else usually crashes and burns, but as time goes on my stomach is not happy. I don't feel sick, but I don't feel right.  

I'm also bloating and gaining weight, which I'm pretty sure is the opposite of what's supposed to happen (though mind you, I'm not trying to lose weight either).

I also feel like I'm hungry all the time, but I really don't feel like eating. And not super hungry, just like a feeling in my stomach where I could eat, but I'm not starving. I'm just always hungry, like my body is wanting something that I'm not giving it. 

I used to eat a lot of yogurt - maybe I need more probiotics? Anyone else have this?

What day are you on? A lot of people experience bloating and that kind of thing into the second week. If that's it, your body is still sorting out all the changes happening.

http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/

If you want probiotics, you can try kombucha (as long as there's no added sugar for flavoring), sauerkraut or other fermented foods. Those might help!

Hello JediMaster, Padewan Ali here.

I am also on day 8 and I also had the same problem on days 5-6. I was so bloated I was sure I was blowing up like Violet Beauregard in Willy Wonka. It was awful and I was miserable. I did a lot of googling and searching these forums and here are the things that worked for me. You can see some other ones by searching the forums for "bloating."

1.) Drink a ton of water. I know you will not want to, because it makes you feel even MORE bloated, but the day after it really helps. The day of it kind of sucks getting it down when the bloating already makes you feel so full. It sucked the day I was doing it, but it made everything so much better the next day.

2.) Digestive enzymes. I got the NOW kind, I just googled them to find stores in my area that had them. I have been taking them with every meal and it has GREATLY reduced the problems.

3.) Only cook your vegetables for a while instead of eating raw ones. The raw ones may be causing gas as your body adjusts to eating so many of them, and that will make you even more bloated.

4.) Maybe avoid FODMAPS for a couple of days and see if that helps. You can google FODMAPS to see what they are. Avocado is one, and I was eating a lot of avocado for my fats. I switched to olives for a couple of days and that really helped.

5.) Kombucha! It's expensive, so I am only drinking one every other day. But it supposedly has probiotic benefits and it has definitely reduced my gas and bloating.

6.) Water. Seriously. ALL THE WATER. The guidelines I found on the forums is half an ounce for every pound you weigh. It seems like a lot and when you are bloated it feels like a lot, but the day after I followed these, it got so so much better.

A warning - the first day my bloating went down I spent a LOT of time in the bathroom. So be ready for that in case it happens with you also. (I was seriously running down the hall all GET OUT OF MY WAYYYYYYYY!)

I am on day 10 and just mentioned to a friend today, who is also doing the W30, that I felt like it wasn't working and I actually feel bigger right now. I was feeling very discouraged but then I found this thread. I'm wondering if that's what I am experiencing now and will hang in there! Thanks for asking the question! Wishing you great success!

I got super bloated in the very beginning, too. Days four through about nine I felt gigantic. I seem to be deflating now, though and feeling much better. This is my third Whole30 and I never remember that happening before, so not only is everyone different, but every time is different.

When I did my first Whole30 back in May I also had huge problems with bloating and feeling like my belly was getting bigger.  This eventually passed, but it took a good 21-24 days for it to full subside.  I'm on my 2nd Whole30 now, day 13, and I have not had this problem this time around - I think because i have pretty much stuck to the meal template since my prior whole30 - IE a lot of veggies at each meal along with the fats and protein.

I think I read somewhere that the bloating/cramps are a result of the healing process that is going on inside your stomach - and this can take a while depending on the individual.  Stick with it, you'll definitely notice that it gets better before you know it, and with that the feeling of gaining weight will go away too (this is why you can't weigh yourself for the whole 30 days).  

Archived