Don't Like Veggies -- HELP!!!

Vincentparty0f4

What and how are you preparing your veggies currently? Cooked, raw, steamed etc.... Overcooked or improperly cooked vegges don't taste good. 

Are you using good fats? 

Almost any veggie is delicious if you roast it. Cut it into uniform pieces, lightly coat it in a healthy oil and spinkle with salt and pepper. 

Cook until tender at 375 degrees. 

A spritz of freshly squeezed lemon juice can help, too. 

Shred sweet potatoes in food processor and fry in coconut oil and cinnamon until golden brown and crisp. Or, try a puréed soup can add a lot of flavor and easy texture to consume. I also agree to well roasted veggies like cauliflower or parsnips (toss in ghee S&P, bake at 425 until very brown).

I second the roasting and the soups. I always thought brussels sprouts were gross, because I had only had them boiled. However, if you cut them in half and toss them in a compliant fat and roast them, they are amazingly delicious.

My favorite soups are carrot ginger and broccoli fennel - they are both really easy and prepared kind of the same way.

Carrot Ginger:

1.) Melt a compliant fat in a big pot. (I use olive or coconut oil or ghee depending on my mood.)

2.) Saute some onion (I use half of one) in the fat until translucent.

3.) Add some garlic and the ginger if you are making carrot ginger, saute a little longer, only about a minute. I use a LOT of ginger because ginger is awesome. I cut one 3-inch root in half and used the whole half. You can use less if you want.

4.) Add compliant veggie or chicken broth and your carrots, chopped up. I used about 4 cups broth and about 1.5 lbs carrots.

5.) Bring to a boil, simmer about half an hour.

6.) Blend until smooth - you can do this with an immersion blender (that is what I use) or you can wait for the soup to cool and do it in the blender. However then you have to warm the soup back up (or eat it cold if you like, but EW).

7.) Put in face hole.

Broccoli fennel is the same thing, just replace the ginger with fennel seed (or the fronds from an actual fennel bulb if your store actually has them and is not out of stock like the killjoy stores in my area yesterday - just add the fronds in with your veggie instead of the in the saute phase) and the carrots with broccoli.

You can throw some kale into chicken soup, or some spinach, and you can also throw all manner of veggies into quiches and egg muffins. Scrambles also. This morning I sliced some cabbage into really thin coleslaw-ey strands, fried them in the grease leftover from some (compliant) sausage until they looked crispy, then added an egg. I put the sausage on top of that and ate a bowl of the broccoli fennel soup and that was breakfast and OH MAN IT WAS AMAZING.

I think indian cooking makes many veggies really nice, because of the many spices they use.

Maybe cook you veggies with a sauce, could be an idea? (Like cook different veggies and put in some crushed canned tomatoes and some herbs and spices you like)

Your tastes will probably change pretty quickly, but get them in in the mean time.

If you boil a head of cauliflower (hard stem cut off) until tender, mash it a little, add ghee or coconut oil, coconut milk, salt and garlic (a friend told me last night adding nutmeg was a gamechanger but I have yet to try that) then put in the Vitamix or food processor you will have something delicious that you will not be able to tell from mashed potatoes.

I have been putting veggies (peppers, onions, cauliflower, carrots) in a zip lock baggie and adding a little EVOO.  I shake them up then put them in a pan.  Season with lemon pepper mostly.  Oven 400 for 25 minutes.  Maybe it's my cooking time????  Thanks for the tips above!

That would be a most unpleasant combination, from my tastebuds' point of view.  Also, each of those vegetables has a different roasting time.  You're not going to have much success trying to roast all of those together.  I wouldn't roast any of those together.  Each one separately, and start checking for carmelization at 20 minutes, and keep roasting until very well done.  Also, lemon pepper makes me gag, too.  It sounds like you're doing some sort of allegedly heart healthy thing from someone's old heart attack recovery recipe book, actually.  I remember my dad being told to cook and eat that way back in the early 80s.  Fortunately, we can do better now (phew).  With Whole30, you get to eat fat and seasoning.  Most folks here roast using (lots of) coconut oil.  You can use refined coconut oil if, like me, you hate the taste of unrefined coconut oil.  Refined coconut oil has no flavor.  Also, add a good amount of sea salt and some spices of your choosing. 

With peppers, I actually roast these without oil or flavorings, and I roast them at 425 for about 30 minutes.  They're like candy after that.

With onions, I'd probably carmelize them in a cast iron skillet on the stove, or use in the crock pot with roasted meats.  I don't know about roasting them on their own.

With cauliflower, I cut it into bite size pieces, mix with oil and salt (lots more of each than anyone outside of Whole30-world considers healthy or morally decent), and roast at 400 for at least 20 minutes, maybe 30.  They need to be brown and crispy on the outside corner areas.

With carrots, I cut them into more or less bite-size chunks, add oil, salt, and tons of cumin, and roast at 425 until they are soft and caramelized.  This takes a very very long time with carrots, sometimes almost an hour, depending on the batch of carrots.

Again, I really can't imagine trying to roast all of these together, and twenty minutes wouldn't be nearly enough for any of them, and lemon pepper is (IMO) absolutely ghastly.  I can COMPLETELY understand why you're gagging.

So there's hope.  Roast the heck out of each veggie individually, season and oil way more than you think is right and proper, and enjoy. 

That would be a most unpleasant combination, from my tastebuds' point of view.  Also, each of those vegetables has a different roasting time.  You're not going to have much success trying to roast all of those together.  I wouldn't roast any of those together.  Each one separately, and start checking for carmelization at 20 minutes, and keep roasting until very well done.  Also, lemon pepper makes me gag, too.  It sounds like you're doing some sort of allegedly heart healthy thing from someone's old heart attack recovery recipe book, actually.  I remember my dad being told to cook and eat that way back in the early 80s.  Fortunately, we can do better now (phew).  With Whole30, you get to eat fat and seasoning.  Most folks here roast using (lots of) coconut oil.  You can use refined coconut oil if, like me, you hate the taste of unrefined coconut oil.  Refined coconut oil has no flavor.  Also, add a good amount of sea salt and some spices of your choosing. 

With peppers, I actually roast these without oil or flavorings, and I roast them at 425 for about 30 minutes.  They're like candy after that.

With onions, I'd probably carmelize them in a cast iron skillet on the stove, or use in the crock pot with roasted meats.  I don't know about roasting them on their own.

With cauliflower, I cut it into bite size pieces, mix with oil and salt (lots more of each than anyone outside of Whole30-world considers healthy or morally decent), and roast at 400 for at least 20 minutes, maybe 30.  They need to be brown and crispy on the outside corner areas.

With carrots, I cut them into more or less bite-size chunks, add oil, salt, and tons of cumin, and roast at 425 until they are soft and caramelized.  This takes a very very long time with carrots, sometimes almost an hour, depending on the batch of carrots.

Again, I really can't imagine trying to roast all of these together, and twenty minutes wouldn't be nearly enough for any of them, and lemon pepper is (IMO) absolutely ghastly.  I can COMPLETELY understand why you're gagging.

So there's hope.  Roast the heck out of each veggie individually, season and oil way more than you think is right and proper, and enjoy.

LOL!

A really good way to do peppers is to roast and skin them!! So much you can do-- make them into a dip or spread. Marinate them for antipasto salad or add them to mayo. Here's a good tutorial on how to roast peppers. I do them on the gas burner or my BBQ. I also find removing the skins is better for digestion. 

http://theshiksa.com/2010/02/04/roasted-bell-peppers/

My favorite thing with  roasted red bell peppers is to make a dip!!! I put them in my food processor and  add olive oil, tahini, garlic and lemon juice. You can optionally add in a handful of walnuts or almonds as well. It's very much like a baba ganoush but with peppers instead of eggplant.  I often do 1/2 peppers and 1/2 eggplant  in my baba ganoush instead of just eggplant. I LOVE eggplant but my husband and kid DO NOT. So I sneak it to them in a 'pepper dip' hahahaha...The boys eat it with bread but I eat it with carrot sticks or just with a spoon!

I've never made this exact recipe, I grew up watching my mom make it "with a bit of this, a pinch of that'  But it looks tasty. Like the author I am part lebanese and I've been really digging  her paleo versions of middle eastern food.  You could make this with pepper instead of eggplant.  But eggplant is awesome too!

http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2009/07/17/eat-your-vegetables-eggplant/

Well thanks for the tips!!  I feel kinda goofy now!  LOL!!!  I had no idea you couldn't just dump them all together!!!  Thanks for the tips!!!

Thought I'd come over and tell you what I made last night... because honestly I feel like I'm eating cheat food for lunch. ;)

I peeled 4 carrots and 4 parsnips, and cut them into uniform pieces (mostly cut in half width-wise and then cut the wider end in half length-wise). Then I tossed them with some ghee and some greek seasoning (Penzeys' version is compliant, no cheese). Roasted them in a 350 degree oven for about 45 minutes, then just put them in the fridge. This morning the whole container went into my lunch bag. 

Well, I just pulled them out and WOW. Delish. They're sweet (because the veggie is sweet) and just slightly bite-crisp, not mushy, and wonderful. I didn't even bother to warm them up (I hate the microwave). 

Just keep experimenting! Eventually you will find things you like. 

My favorite way to have veggies is in a stirfry. Many veggies I can't stand unless they have some kind of sauce on them. My default stirfry sauce is about 1/2 cup coconut aminos (a soy-free soy sauce substitute) about a tablespoon fish sauce (used a lot in thai and vietnamese cooking, trust me, it doesn't taste like fish at all), a teaspoon of grated fresh ginger, a grated glove of garlic, a 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes, and 2 tbs. cooking oil (I use avocado, but olive oil works too). I pour the sauce on the veggies and stirfry/steam them in a very hot pan. This sauce is awesome on green beans, carrots (cut very thin), broccoli, peppers, onions, bok choy, cabbage, sugar snap peas, and probably others that I haven't tried yet. When stirfrying, cook the veggies until they are tender and bright in color, but still have some crunch to them.

I have been putting veggies (peppers, onions, cauliflower, carrots) in a zip lock baggie and adding a little EVOO.  I shake them up then put them in a pan.  Season with lemon pepper mostly.  Oven 400 for 25 minutes.  Maybe it's my cooking time????  Thanks for the tips above!

I find that you can roast vegetables together if they are similar and have a similar roasting time. I roast beets, sweet potatoes, rutabaga, turnip and carrots together or any combination that you like. I peel and dice them to about the same size, put in an oven proof dish, drizzle olive oil on them add salt and pepper, mix well and roast for about 1 hour at 350. I also like turnip and carrots mashed. Chop turnips and carrots and boil for 10 - 15 min until soft. Mash together with a little ghee, salt and pepper. I haven't tried this with rutabaga but it might be even better. 

Zucchini boats. Cut a zucchini in half lengthwise. Scrape out the seeds. Place in an oven proof dish and bake at 350 for 10 - 15 min. Top with meatballs and tomato sauce (Well Fed or Nom Nom Paleo meatballs work great). Bake for an additional 10- 15 min until heated through and the zucchini boats are not soggy.

I find that you can roast vegetables together if they are similar and have a similar roasting time. I roast beets, sweet potatoes, rutabaga, turnip and carrots together or any combination that you like. I peel and dice them to about the same size, put in an oven proof dish, drizzle olive oil on them add salt and pepper, mix well and roast for about 1 hour at 350. I also like turnip and carrots mashed. Chop turnips and carrots and boil for 10 - 15 min until soft. Mash together with a little ghee, salt and pepper. I haven't tried this with rutabaga but it might be even better. 

I do this too. I like to toss a little bit of fruit in too. A super firm pear or apple works great, and if you have kids it will be more appealing to them as well. 

I like to do one root, one squash and one fruit. For a W30 I guess you could drop the fruit portion to 1/4 or leave it out. 

Acorn squash, pear and sweet potato is my fav. 

Archived