White wine vinegar

Holly Hampton

I used some white wine vinegar to make a dressing tonight. The ingredients say white wine vinegar reduced with water to 5% acidity. Does this count as cooking with wine? It also says contains naturally occurring sulfites, is that allowed? Thank you!

I was going to use distilled white vinegar, but surprisingly the ingredients say made from select grain and then later says reduced to table strength of 5% or 50 grains. I don't know what that means. I know the book says vinegar is allowed, but this one out due to grain?

• Moderators

The vinegar making process transforms the wine, so white wine vinegar is okay, wine is not. You can even use rice wine vinegar.

I would like to get a definitive answer about sulfites too as nearly every specialty vinegar I see in the stores includes "naturally occurring sulfites." I just don't know.

I've gotten into the habit of subbing apple cider vinegar for white vinegar in recipes--mostly because I trust the manufacturing more (organic, really fermented with live cultures, etc) vs. distilled white vingar which comes from grain and is made with industrial processes...I think Tom is correct, that white vinegar is allowed, I'm just not sure it is the best choice. Taste is just as good (or better), IMO.

Thanks Tom, because I want to try that recipe I found with dijon mustard, otherwise that is good info to know about the apple cider vinegar, i just purchased some braggs apple cider vinegar, so happy to hear i can use that. (thanks Mary)

Archived