Whole30 #2 begins today!

Colleen Roy

After finishing our first whole30 on Saturday, we took a long weekend and indulged in alcohol, french fries, sandwiches, corn tortilla chips, pizza...and ice cream. Also ran a half marathon on Sunday...tired, but I think it was a combination of hard bed at the hotel, hot conditions for the race, food choices. Today was not pretty. Energy levels crashed. I had such a food/booze hangover! Napped for a little bit, then hit the grocery store to restock for round 2. I felt so good on the first go-round, I'm not giving it up! Just not worth it!

So, today's food log (remember, I didn't shop till late afternoon...food choices were limited!)

Meal 1: Sweet potato, onion and chorizo hash, 2 cups coffee with coconut cream

Meal 2: Sweet potato, onion and chorizo hash, 2 glasses of water

Snack: organic applesauce, cashews, water

Meal 3: Grilled flank steak with an espresso balsamic vinegar reduction sauce, steamed broccoli with crushed red pepper and grilled summer squash (used olive oil on the veggies), water

I'm making a pot of chicken stock right now. Is that a good thing to sip/drink while on whole30? It's not really "comfort" kind of weather here in NH-pretty warm! But I boned a rotisserie chicken and decided not to waste the bones...maybe I'll make a soup?

• Moderators

When the broth is mostly from bones, it is probably better for you, but a little chicken doesn't make it bad. I go through phases making bone broth regularly and then falling out of the habit. I've been using the container I normally keep broth in for pickles lately, so haven't been making broth.

Day 2 Food Log:

It was an absolutely PERFECT summer day here in NH. Woke up at 5:00am after a rock solid night of sleep-ahhhh thank you!

Cup of coffee with coconut milk and the dogs and I headed out for a sweet three miler. We were lucky enough to see a mama deer and her two babies down at the river. My dogs were oblivious-what is up with that? I swear they see a chipmunk in the backyard at night and didn't notice three deer not 50 feet away? Silly dogs!

Back home to stretch and take the 100 pushup challenge test. Um, yeah. I have NO upper body strength. I was only able to do 7 with good form. Pathetic! At least I know I'll get better over the course of the challenge!

Meal 1: Scrumptious frittatta with rosemary ham, sundried tomatoes, onions and spinach. Leftover mashed sweet potatoes and some broccoli. Yum. Delicious and filling.

Cleaned up the kitchen, did a little work in the garden, then started prep work on side three of our house. We got two sides painted last year...time to finish the other two. I hate prepping to paint. SO much work. Especially when you wait 16 years to paint! Totally lost track of time out there-was out there about 5 hours! Came in about 3:00 and showered, had a snack of cashews and water.

Meal 2/3 combined: Early dinner. Grilled pork tenderloin with a blackberry ginger balsamic reduction sauce. YUM. Grilled zucchini and carrots. Lots of veggies. I ate a bit more than I normally would to make up for missing meal 2-plus it was before 6:00. Time to get to work on my online summer course-gotta get that done!

Thursday, July 25, 2012

Meal 1: Leftover frittatta with sundried tomatoes, spinach, onions and rosemary ham, mashed sweet potatoes, broccoli, 2 cups coffee with coconut milk

Meal 2: Grilled chicken breast, fresh veggies-sugar snap peas, red, yellow and orange peppers, carrots and cukes with Sunshine Sauce on the side for dipping.

Meal 3: Roasted spaghetti squash with meat sauce (canned crushed tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, onions, garlic, local farm raised ground beef and sausage, fresh basil) Super tasty and filling. I can totally do without pasta with this meal-the squash is a perfect vehicle for the sauce! I still maintain that a bit of shredded parmesan on top would put this dish over the moon....

Did a bunch of cleaning this morning, followed by a 30 minute kettle bell work out. The remainder of the afternoon was spent working on my summer class....my head hurts, but I got the second module done-half way there! Three more graduate credits = a nice raise!

Friday, July 26, 2012

Meal 1: leftover frittatta with sundried tomatoes, rosemary ham, onions and spinach, steamed broccoli, grilled summer squash, 2 cups coffee with coconut milk

Meal 2: grilled chicken thigh, mixed fruit (pineapple, canteloupe, blueberries, strawberries)-was really craving fruit! This satisfied that craving and used up some fruit that needed to get eaten. I hate throwing rotten food away!

Meal 3: large salad with mixed greens, first tomato of the summer garden, carrots, peppers, scallions, roasted chicken and a little bacon. Stupid avocados are still not ripe....would have been tasty on this salad!

I was really tired today-granted, that may be a symptom of the weather and the fact that I've been on the couch, doing a lot of reading for my summer class. Took a nap mid-afternoon and felt better.

If I don't post it, then I didn't eat it right? :ph34r:

Fell off the wagon a little bit Saturday night and Sunday...paid for it yesterday and with crappy sleep last night. Back to it today.

Monday, July 30, 2012

Meal 1: Frittatta with chorizo, onions, peppers, spinach. 2 cups coffee with coconut milk

Meal 2: Garden salad with baby romaine, red onions, carrots, grape tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, sliced chicken and half an avocado. Balsamic vinegar dressing. Small cup of mixed fruit-pineapple, canteloupe and blueberries.

Ran a 5K tonight and felt great the whole time.

Meal 3: Leftover pork tenderloin, cumin roasted carrots and garden salad.

Good day today-very productive at school and at home... :)

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Meal 1: Leftover frittatta with chorizo, spinach, peppers and onions, 2 cups coffee with coconut cream

Meal 2: forgot my lunch! Hit a local place and managed to get grilled chicken breast and a fennel and orange salad that was tasty and compliant! It's all good.

3 hours kayaking on Nubanusit Lake-beautiful day out there today!

Meal 3: Despite another bump in the road (BAD chicken!) that required a trip to the grocery store, I came home and made myself a tasty dinner. Grilled chicken thigh, cauliflower confetti rice pilaf and steamed broccoli.

Hoping I sleep better tonight-I've had a hard time falling asleep the last two nights and haven't slept soundly...

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Meal 1: Deviled eggs...I know, I know-not the best choice, but not the worst either! Just not very hungry this morning, so I ate the last 2. And they were made with home made mayo too! 2 cups of coffee with coconut milk

Went for a run with the dogs and ended up twisting my left ankle about a mile out. Caught the edge of the road and just rolled it good and hard and went down! OUCH. Swelled up nicely and slightly bruised. Ice and elevation all day....damn it.

Meal 2: Cold grilled chicken thigh, celery, sugar snap peas, carrots, red pepper and sunshine sauce.

Meal 3: Grilled chicken thigh, broccoli and cauliflower pilaf.

Thursday, August 2, 2012

Meal 1: Leftover frittatta with chorizo, spinach, red pepper and onion. Broccoli and cauliflower pilaf and half an avocado. 2 cups coffee with coconut milk. Ate really late this morning! Slept till about 7:30, then worked on my summer class work till about 10:00-I had a great burst of inspiration, so I decided to sit down and write before I forgot it all! Ate meal 1 around 10:00am.

Meal 2: Bowl of canteloupe.

Meal 3: Grilled steak tips served on mushrooms and onions, sweet potato hash with onions and green beans with garlic and shallots. YUM.

Thank you Derval-it is feeling better. I'm able to walk on it, but it's still pretty swollen. Hoping to be able to start with my half marathon training group on Monday night! I've continued to elevate, ice and rest it. The good thing about it happening was that it forced me to sit my butt down and gave me the gift of time to finish my summer course work instead of finding excuses like working in the garden, running or painting my house to keep me from it! :P Yeah! It's done! Two weeks early!

Friday, August 3, 2012

Meal 1: Sweet potato hash with onions, green beans with garlic & shallots, 2 fried eggs and 2 pieces of bacon. 2 cups of coffee with coconut milk. I ate late again today....I worked on the last of my summer course and was hungry from all that brain activity!

Meal 2: Had a date with a friend's four year old daughter to go see Brave at the movies this afternoon, so I ate this meal late-around 3:00-grilled chicken thigh with cauliflower rice pilaf, strawberries & blueberries. Brought a bottle of water to the movie and had NO desire to have popcorn with Miss Hannah. :D Brave was quite good-amazing animation!

Meal 3: While I gladly and easily avoided the popcorn, I did cave and had one margarita with Hannah's parents when I dropped her off. :angry: But, I didn't eat the pizza they made for dinner! :D DH and I left and went to dinner ourselves and ate compliantly-I ordered filet mignon with asparagus and portabella mushrooms. Yum. He had steak tips with mixed vegetables and passed on the mashed potatoes-that's a big step for him-he never asks for anything special when we go out to eat. We did each have a martini with dinner. :angry: again....and another table sent us a piece of the Strawberry Pizza dessert they were sharing. We each tried a bite-it was cloyingly sweet-pizza crust, with cream cheese frosting, sliced strawberries and a sugar glaze...no thank you. :D

So, while this really hasn't been a successful "whole30" round 2 thus far, I am feeling really good about all the positive changes we are making as we move forward. We understand how certain foods and alcohol affect our sleep, overall well being and waistline, so we are making better choices. The old us would have indulged in pasta with bread, 2 martinis and dessert, so I feel comfortable calling what we are doing a successful 20/21. If we can eat compliantly for 20 out of 21 meals, I think we are doing quite well. And there won't always be weeks like this. I feel better being on. :D

Archived