Don't like many of the recommended fats

Hi everyone,

I've been easing my way into this for a couple of weeks now but want to officially start on Friday. Problem is I don't eat a LOT of the recommended fat sources. I don't like coconuts, olives, salad dressing, mayonnaise, or avocados AT ALL. I don't cook with oils, either. I thought I would use nuts as a fat source with meals since they're not a "food without brakes" for me, but more research seems to tell me that I shouldn't have nuts so often. I also thought I could sprinkle chia seeds on some meals, but they're not the best either.

Should I just eat fattier meats or do I need those other sources of fats in addition to proteins? My latest thought is to try to force myself to add olive oil or coconut milk into my meats and veggies. 

Thanks!!

Hi everyone,

I've been easing my way into this for a couple of weeks now but want to officially start on Friday. Problem is I don't eat a LOT of the recommended fat sources. I don't like coconuts, olives, salad dressing, mayonnaise, or avocados AT ALL. I don't cook with oils, either. I thought I would use nuts as a fat source with meals since they're not a "food without brakes" for me, but more research seems to tell me that I shouldn't have nuts so often. I also thought I could sprinkle chia seeds on some meals, but they're not the best either.

Should I just eat fattier meats or do I need those other sources of fats in addition to proteins? My latest thought is to try to force myself to add olive oil or coconut milk into my meats and veggies. 

Thanks!!

How about bacon fat, duck fat or beef fat (grass fed)? These are all allowed and you might like them better than vegetable fats. 

It always startles me to see people explain that unilaterally "don't like" a whole category of things. I suspect people with a long list of "dislikes" haven't really tried these items. You don't have to like every kind of fat, but I do think you owe it to yourself to take on the project of finding some you can tolerate. Look at the list of compliant fats and try each one. Try lots of versions of each one (there are many kinds of olives, for example). Try using them in a variety of ways. As you are trying them, if you "don't like them" pay close attention: what is the turn-off? flavor? texture? the idea of eating something rich in fat? Think of yourself as a scientist. Take another bite and see what you can figure out. Really explore the flavor in your mouth and with all your senses. Then address any issues, choosing different flavored or textured fat next time, or reading more about how important it is for your body to eat fat (it's good for your brain, for example, and your hormones and metabolism). It may not be easy, but it is worth it.

Also, take heart. The more you expose your taste buds to new flavors and textures, the more palatable they become. I will admit to being a reluctant liver eater, for example, but once I started putting liver into my meatballs regularly I got a real taste for it. I crave liver now, and I'm so glad I made the effort.

Our grocery stores don't have approved bacon or grass-fed meats. Never heard of duck fat being an option but I'll look into it!

I think it's the flavor of each thing individually, so I'm trying to combine them with other foods to make it less noticeable (last month I was working some coconut oil into my oatmeal).

I'm also assuming my fish oil supplements aren't enough as a substitute either?

Missmary, I think you may have just convinced me to try liver. I've never tried it - sounds really gross - but now I can't claim to not like it if I never try it, right?

Not to hijack this thread but....any suggestions on where to start with it? What kind, liver-to-meatball ratio, etc...

Fats used to freak me out, too. But as I ate this way for longer and longer they got tastier and tastier. Revisit them often and reevaluate. Don't think, "I don't like them," and leave it at that.

Also, I never liked mayo until I made my own (Nom Nom Paleo's recipe). Now I could eat it with a spoon. Serious.

I also hate coconut and olives and don't love avocado. I do a lot of mayo - the homemade kind really is so different than storebought, so I'd at least give it a shot. Even if you don't like it on its own, it's a great base for creamy dressings, dips and that kind of thing.

Besides the practical aspects, just remember that you're breaking a lifetime of conditioning.  Women especially are conditioned to believe that fat is bad, almost at a moral level.  Whole30 asks us to eat it with every meal.  So besides physical issues of taste, we do have to overcome a belief that's pervasive in our society that women, especially, should not eat (or like) fat.

I went through a phase where every time I was preparing a meal and had a negative thought about fat, I'd add a dollop more.  :lol:   It's like I had to prove to myself that I wouldn't drop dead from a massive stroke immediately after lunch. :o  

Also, I agree with Tom that simply adding fat sources to a grain-based diet isn't going to make those fat sources palatable.  They do work well within a Whole30 eating plan and context.  And your taste buds do change over time - I couldn't swallow sweet potatoes before and now I eat them daily.  I thought sweet peppers were bitter, now they taste like candy to me.  It's weird.  But good.  :wub:   Have fun experimenting, and remember that those voices in our heads that tell us that fat is bad are just voices.  Evidence is on the side of the fat.  Woot!

Missmary, I think you may have just convinced me to try liver. I've never tried it - sounds really gross - but now I can't claim to not like it if I never try it, right?

Not to hijack this thread but....any suggestions on where to start with it? What kind, liver-to-meatball ratio, etc...

I started with lamb liver in ground lamb meatballs. At first, I would go slow. My butcher laughed at me because I would request a "sliver of liver"--the smallest piece they sell, about a 1/8-1/4 lb max (lately I ask for two pieces). I puree that in my food processor with an egg, a small onion, a few garlic cloves, cumin, salt, sometimes a big handful of cilantro or parsley. Mix that slurry into a pound of ground lamb, roll into small balls, bake on a cookie sheet at 350 for about 25 minutes (test one at that point. my oven runs hot, I think). For me, part of the issue with liver was texture, so the puree idea really helps.

Making a salad dressing, dip or sauce so its not just straight mayo? Adding coconut milk to a puréed soup could mask the flavor a bit. I suppose it's kind of like people who don't like veggies....you eat it anyway because its good for you.

I heard of someone who also puts liver in a blender and purees it and then adds it to soups and spaghetti sauce. I can't stand the smell of liver or lamb so I will not be trying this.

Gymchick,

At first, I had problem too.  I think it's from being bombarded my whole life with messages of "dietary fat makes you fat," so I had gotten used to reduced fat or low fat or fat free everything and learned to not like the taste/texture of fat.  I've learned to like them now.  Can you try:

Olive oil + compliant vinegar + herbs and compliant spices = a world of possible flavors for dressings, marinades, and veggie toppings

Mashed avocado in a chicken or tuna salad (I don't like mayonnaise so I do this a lot).

tossing some sweet potato pieces in olive or coconut oil and baking them?

Dmh, I really like your suggestions. Thank you. I don't think it's a brain thing; I've just never liked them. I'm definitely going to try the tuna salad though either with avocado or approved mayo since that was the only time I ever ate mayo growing up. Gonna sneak some coconut milk into scrambled eggs and buttercup squash, too.

Although now I want to defrost the veal liver in my freezer!

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

About mayo, I really think different type of mayo taste different. For example I never liked the normal mayo in the store, but I loved the japanese one. (Also mayo in sandwiches or so was ok) ^^ And when making mayo yourself, it surely also taste really nice. (I didn't make one yet, haven't yet encountered a recipe with mayo I want to cook.) 
Avocado I didn't like before too, because I ate pieces of it. But mixing it as guacamole or sauce for something else or mixed in a meal, I really started to like it. (That was before Whole30, I had that with many foods, that I tried again some of the food, i didn't like before, and then started even to love it. ) Maybe you just had bad recipes yet with the foods, you didn't like? (I never ate vegetables as child, but it's no wonder, the way my mother prepared them was horrible. Wouldn't eat that even today.)

@Mom2A&M
What? People eat stuff they don't like? I don‘t think so, I know some people who don't eat vegetables, and they just won¨t eat it. They would also not give it a try, no matter how you prepared it.
And honestly, I wouldn't neither eat something, I don't like, even if it is healthy. (But luckily I like explore new taste, so I find lot of more stuff, I like and what is healthy.)
Anyway about vegetables not liking, how could people say that, they surely not tried every vegetable. (I did not even encounter every vegetable.)

I always thought that I didn't like mayo too.  Until I made my own about a year ago.

Turns out I just didn't like the stuff they sell in the shop.

Really, give making your own mayo a go.  And then there are all sorts of lovely sauces you can make with it (which would mask the flavour of the mayo a bit if you still don't like it).  Just make sure to use a light olive oil, (or macadamia nut/walnut oil are nice too) I used normal extra virgin olive oil once and luckily my husband couldn't tell the difference because I thought it was horrible.

I hate coconut (I've had it fresh off the tree in Southeast Asia and still hated it) but quite like coconut milk.  Though, with all the spices I chuck into my curry I doubt you can even taste the coconut.

As for nuts, I don't think they're necessarily a bad fat choice.  It's just that aside from being food without brakes for some people they can be problematic for some people's digestion. My husband eats loads of nuts for fat for his mini-meals and nothing else is particularly practical.

Have you tried sunflower seed butter?

I ordered some ghee which just shipped yesterday. Looking forward to trying that. In the meantime I've been throwing in some shredded coconut with vegetables and mixed coconut cream with buttercup squash and sweet potato. So far so good! I also discovered that I like sardines and tuna with olive oil and LOTS of spinach and lemon pepper, haha. I made the mistake of buying EVOO for the mayo so I'll try that this weekend when I go shopping again. I have two avocados in my fridge; still trying to decide how I want to use them...

I'm also looking into trying olives again. I didn't realize there were so many types!

You know, I didn't like a lot of fats either.  Three years ago, I refused all things creamy (dressings, sauces, mayo, soft cheeses, etc), I hated bacon, the taste of real butter, egg yolks, avocado, chicken skin, olives and all milk except skim.  And, in addition to the taste, I couldn't stand the texture of most of it as well! This was not a 'fear of fat' thing either as I was like this as a baby, too.  It drove my mother nuts that I would refuse things like cheese, peanut butter or whole milk.

When I first started to experiment with paleo, I decided to 'teach' myself to like fats.  I started with avocado in the form of guacamole on plantain chips or sliced cukes or carrots.  Once I got past the texture, I realized that I liked the taste and now I add it to so many things!  I've methodically worked my way though almost all forms of healthy fats.  I still cannot stomach olives or coconut oil.  And I like homemade mayo in things (like veggie dips or tuna salad) but the thought of eating it with a spoon still gives me the willies.

It also took me a long time before I could even eat some fatty foods (like the fatty cuts of our grass-fed beef delivery) without getting an upset stomach.  It takes some getting used to!

Keep working at it.  You will find fats you like (or that you can teach yourself to like) and those that you don't, you can just skip.

Like the above poster, I would definitely try guacamole for your avocados! I had basically the same experience; I did not like avocados, then I had some guac I really loved. Then I started having just smashed up avocado and lime juice on toast (obviously the toast is out for a Whole 30). However, you could put the guac on eggs, or steak.

You may definitely find some fats you like, and some that you enjoy when you make them yourself that you didn't like store-bought. Whole 30 has also made me a lot more adventurous. Before, I would have thought, "Ew, insects," but now I'm kind of like, "... I'ma eat those crickets." If I don't like them, I can always not eat them again!

With the ghee, if you don't like the plain, I would suggest trying some of pure indian foods' flavored ghee. It has only spices, no sugar. This morning I used some of the nitter kibbeh ghee. I grated half a sweet potato, then put the grated bits in a dish towel and squeezed out as much of the water as I could. Then I heated up the spiced ghee in my pan, and fried the sweet potato in there. If you squeeze the water out, the potato soaks up the ghee so you don't leave too much of it in the pan (but you can pour any that is left over them when you are done).

It was OUTSTANDING.

Avocado is good on a breakfast egg and sausage scramble and on salads. I definately want to try the avocado with chicken or tuna.

I also "hated" olives but I bought a can for the whole 30 and I've been putting them on my salads. Mixed up with all the other stuff you barely notice them!

You know, you really shouldn't taste the fat in cooked foods, it should just enhance the flavor of the food once cooked. I have to say that I love cooking with coconut oil. I buy the Tropical Traditions Coconut oil. I just bought a huge 1 gallon jug! I cook with it and I use it to replace butter in most things. I have to say that I've lost my taste for butter. I've tried it a few times lately and the taste turns me off. Which is fine, since I have pretty much totally eliminated dairy from my diet.

This won't be whole30, but for after, you could also try avocado mousse.  Practical Paleo has a great recipe for a chocolate mousse with just avocados, banana, cocoa powder, and a touch of honey (optional).  My kids love it, and it really masks the avocado flavor.  I don't particularly care for avocados outside of guacamole (love the texture, not a fan of how grassy they can taste), so this is a great way to get extra fats and feel like I'm having a treat at the same time.

Obviously not whole30, but a nice option for off-roading once you're done with the program. 

Nom Nom Paleo has a great recipe for creamy avocado soup, too, which IS compliant.  http://nomnompaleo.com/post/13727361375/chilled-cream-of-avocado-soup-with-dungeness-crab%C2'>

Just some thoughts!

Archived