Type1 diabetic about to start whole30. Any advice?

My partner and myself have only just decided today to do the whole30 starting next week. That gives us a few days to do some reading and prep :)

I see through the forum other type1 and 2 diabetics have done whole30 so I wonder if you have any useful advice.

I'm pretty active - gym (weights/cardio), cycling to work when I can (10km), golf(not as much as I would like), indoor netball - 2 games a week ( those not from nz, aus or uk might need to google what that is) and work at a zoo in charge of the education team - so am concerned about my blood sugars as simple fix has always been lollies or sugary drinks when they are low. I understand my welfare is always a priority especially when sugars go low and may have to just do what's needed as in the past. Have others found useful ways especially round exercise to control sugars?

I'm really excited about doing this as have read from others about overall better control and that would be great. Let's say I'm up and down a bit control wise but mostly up due to bad food choices which this will eliminate.

I am not very active in terms of exercise- haven't been for the past year or so due to recurrent back injuries. So don't know if I can offer useful advice in terms of that.

You didn't mention if you are on the pump or if you take insulin via syringe.

I use syringes and found that after switching to a Paleo diet, I needed to adjust the amount of and timing of my insulin and I definitely had low blood sugars for the first few days until I was able to find appropriate insulin levels for my diet. It was definitely trial and error for me.

During my first W30, I did have harsh hypos for the first week. My bolus obviously went down due to less carbs at each meal, and my basal gradually came down a bit throughout the month.

Also, my body seems to be changing anyway, and this program is helping me notice those changes. I've been t1 for 23 years now, so there are changes and effects. For one, I do not burn glucose as easily now. I used to just do a bit of manual labor or a bit of exercise and my levels would drop. Now, my levels barely drop unless I really push some cardio. The other day I covered about six miles during a hog hunt and my glucose barely budged.

Just keep your meter and some glucose close as always and be safe.

I've found my levels drop if I exercise within the first couple of hours of taking insulin, not so much otherwise. But you'll probably be eating less carbs which means taking less insulin, so your levels should stabilise, and you'll probably get into a rhythm of food/insulin/exercise soon enough. If you get hypo, eat sugar/dates/lollies whatever, just do what you have to do! You could always have a couple of pre w30 stabilisation weeks s to iron out the blood sugar hiccups that are bound to happen when you make the switch!

Thanks ArcheoGator and Zoodles I really appreciate what you have said. and take it onboard

I'm testing a lot just so I can keep track of my levels. Day 6 starts tomorrow.

Totally noticeable not having the carbs I was previously consuming particularly bread and in fact this weekend didn't have to take any of my daytime insulin. I will look at recuding my long acting tonight have woken lower than I would like.

Archived