Your best EASY recipes and meal ideas for a teen please!!

Jule

My son is 18 years old and lives with his dad. When he lived at home he ate well and has seen me do the whole 30 but didn't participate. He has read about it and we have talked a lot so I think he gets it. He has started the Whole 30 on his own a few days ago. I am so proud of him! He is really taking charge of his own health and weight. Two challenges for him:

1 - His dad is a moron with control issues so he doesn't want to tell his dad what he is doing. This will make his dad take charge of his food and he doesn't want that. 

2 - He goes to school full time and works part time so he has very little time. 

So far he is doing really well but his meals are a little odd. Basically whatever he can find in the fridge. Today he had yams, chicken and avocado with hot sauce for lunch. If he doesn't get some good food I am worried he will give up. He already knows how to cook several awesome curry dishes. What else do you suggest? Easy meals with not a lot of prep and still good nutrition. He doesn't like peppers and raw tomato but other than that he is game to try anything. He likely won't be 100% awesome but he is trying and I think he will do well. His dad made tacos last night so he had taco salad. He didn't know taco seasoning has sugar in it but that's not really the end of the world. 

So what ideas and recipes do you have that will help?

Thank you!!!

My favorite super easy recipe is a jar of Publix brand salsa with a pound of ground turkey.  Literally, all you have to do is cook the turkey in a skillet and add the jar of salsa (if you don't live in a region where there are Publix grocery stores I'm sure you can find a compliant salsa with a little label reading.)  No added spices.  That's it.  It's inexpensive and takes only 5 minutes.

Does he have access to a crockpot? You can do whole chickens, roasts, stews, stuffed peppers, meatballs, it is really endless. The prep can be done the night before or early in the morning. If not, maybe it could be a gift from you in support of his goals? They are not very expensive, a basic model anyway! Maybe his dad will appreciate him helping out in the kitchen :-)

a good stock of assorted frozen veggies can be a life saver in a pinch, that and canned fish and chicken.  if he can make his own mayo he can basically have chicken/tuna/egg salad any time.  if bone broth is possible he can also just toss veggies and meat into the broth for instant soup!

Archived