Brittany's First Whole 30

brista

Hi everyone! I'm doing my first Whole 30. I started on Monday Jan 6. I'm 27 and live in Ohio. I've worked on incorporating paleo meals before now, but nothing too serious. I had a couple months of going out to eat a lot which means my fat pant are tight! I weighed myself and measured on Day 1...it was not the best news. But I'm putting away the scale until next month.

Another reason I'm doing this Whole 30 is to hopefully help my skin. After being told my entire life that I had incurable eczema, I found out that my skin was actually addicted to topical steroids (which are the #1 line of treatment for eczema) so essentially the medicine I'd been using to fix my skin was really the main reason it was rashy and red. Since I found out, I stopped using topical steroids and I have been going through topical steroid withdrawal for the past 20 months. It's not unusual for healing to take a couple years but this past summer I had three months of perfect normal skin. In the fall, my skin started getting bad again.

It's the nature of TSW skin to flare up then taper into a break (aka "good skin") so it's likely that this was just part of TSW. However, a small part of me wonders if maybe the damage from topical steroids is mostly healed but I still have that genetic predisposition to get a rash when something [cold weather, junk food, too much sugar, too much dust, whatever] triggers my immune system. Since I was going to change my diet anyway (what with a wedding dress to fit into and all) (oh, yeah, I'm getting married this summer!) and I know my skin gets much worse lately when I have lots of sugar, eat junk, and drink alcohol, it just makes sense for me to focus on something that eliminates some of the more common potential irritants.

I am also excited to potentially sleep the sleep of the righteous. :)

DAY 1 Jan 6:

Meal 1: Sunrise Scramble from Well Fed 2. It's okay, not my favorite, but edible. I accidentally knocked a half-dozen eggs into the sink while cooking this so that was disappointing. 

Meal 2: Salad mix, ground turkey, guacamole, and a cucumber. I also tried to make a quick ranch dip out of paleo mayo but I really wasn't feeling it. It was HARD to get through that salad, though. So not into salad. I turned down lunch at Chipotle.

Meal 3: Stir-fry- caulirice, shredded carrots, water chestnuts, peppers, flank steak, mushrooms. I made "the best stir fry sauce" from Well Fed, but I think the Chinese 5 Spice I had has too much licorice in it...it was challenging! I should have tasted before dumping on my plate. I couldn't finish my whole plate, but I can't decide if that was because of the "sauce" or because I don't like veggies. I had a half an orange. I also had a spoonful of coconut butter because I was worried there wasn't enough fat.

DAY 2 Jan 7:

Today I woke up feeling a little dizzy/light-headed.

Meal 1: Sunrise Scramble again. I feel obligated to eat it all but unfortunately, there's like 6 servings. It just doesn't excite me. Womp-womp.

Meal 2: Leftover stir-fry (caulirice, flank steak, carrots, water chestnuts). This time I just did coconut aminos. I also had a few frozen cherries.

Meal 3: Zoodles with meat sauce and meatballs. 5 zucchinis do not make very many zoodles, it turns out. I tried to save some zoodles for lunch the next day but there weren't a lot. I did NOT eat the garlic bread or real spaghetti that my boyfriend had with the sauce/meatballs so that was good. I like zoodles so long as I don't compare them to spaghetti, haha. I also had a 1/2 cup of applesauce with pumpkin pie spice which was delish.

DAY 3, Jan 8:

Woke up a few times throughout the night and the room was a little wobbly. When I got up this morning, I was VERY dizzy.

Meal 1: I had 1/2 a sweet potato mashed with some ghee, beef stock, and pumpkin pie spices, along with left over flank steak and green beans.

Meal 2: I ended up going out to eat with work so I checked the menu and spoke with the server. I ended up with steamed salmon and veggies and a salad with their "gluten free" dressing. I only had a bit of the dressing because I realized I hadn't asked about added sugar. 

Meal 3: Shredded pork with homemade BBQ sauce and a cup of golden cauliflower soup (I added a little ghee to it for fat). Also had some frozen cherries. I was still hungry so I had a couple leftover meatballs from yesterday.

--------------------------

I know I am not eating enough veggies but it's so hard. I TRY but nothing at all excites me. What I really want is Thanksgiving dinner, specifically turkey and gravy. But I don't know how to make it and any gravy from a restaurant or store would be chock full of grossness. I am very cranky/tired today so hopefully tomorrow is better and I find something exciting to eat.

DAY 4, Jan 9:

Meal 1: Leftover flank steak, green beans, 1/2 mashed sweet potato w/ ghee

Meal 2: Leftover zoodles and meatballs, golden cauliflower soup w/ ghee, applesauce.

Meal 3: Leftover BBQ pulled pork (1.5 servings), 1 mashed sweet potato w/ ghee, green beans (2 servings).

--------

Overall I feel much better today. I was only a tiny bit dizzy in the morning so I think I'm on the right track. I wonder if tomatoes might be causing some itchiness. I feel satisfied after eating and so far I don't want to kill all the things. Additionally, I don't feel like I need a nap after eating lunch, which is awesome! Also while I was heating up breakfast at work this morning, some of my coworkers were making cinnamon bagels w/ cream cheese and toast with raspberry jam....both of those things are my nemesis! It smelled sooo good so I was a little jealous. But then I remembered how I normally feel like there's a brick in my stomach after eating a bagel and I would need to eat at least four pieces of toast to feel satisfied and I know the jam would draw the sugar dragon out in full force...so I left and ate my dinner for breakfast and all was good. But I made sure to add some cinnamon to my applesauce for lunch. :)

DAY 5, Jan 10:

Meal 1: Green beans, flank steak. I didn't really have a huge appetite this morning. Sidenote: I AM HAPPY THE GREEN BEANS/FLANK STEAK LEFTOVER ARE GONE. I was tired of eating them. Of course, now I have to work on the BBQ pork leftover (sigh).

Meal 2: BBQ Pork, 1/2 mashed sweet potato w/ ghee, applesauce w/ pumpkin pie spice.

Meal 3: Jalapeno burger, 1/2 mashed sweet potato w/ ghee, a ton of roasted brussel sprouts nomnomnomnom, some cherries with a bit of coconut butter. I've never made burgers before and these were delicious! I will definitely be making them next week! And the brussels sprouts turned out perfect! This was a great meal. I probably need to venture away from the mashed sweet potato because I am not particularly active but they're soooo good and easy and great leftover.

------------

I am feeling pretty good. A little tired but honestly I think that's more because I don't get to bed when I should. My face is looking a little less red and less tight/dry. 

I did not eat ice cream cake today at work (someone's b-day) or go to lunch at Olive Garden. I was not tempted by the cake at all (!! normally I'd have a piece with everyone then sneak another piece or two later) and after a quick Google on Olive Garden, I knew it would not be worth the hassle since there's maybe 1 or 2 things that I could maybe get as long as I subbed stuff and turned down the salad dressing...Normally on "diets" I look for any excuse possible to go off-track. But I don't even want to go off-track now because I feel pretty good and I don't feel obsessive about food. Yay!

DAY 6 Jan 11

I slept in (cheers to the freakin weekend!) so only two meals today.

MEAL 1: : Jalapeno burger, golden cauliflower soup w/ ghee, roasted Brussels sprouts

MEAL 2: Crockpot pot roast, 1/2 mashed sweet potato w/ ghee & coconut milk, Brussels sprouts, cherries

TEENY SNACK: When we got home, I was a bit hungry so I had a small bite of pot roast and a tsp or so of coconut butter. 

--------------------

This COULD have been a disaster. Every couple of weeks, we go over to our friends' house to eat pizza and watch sports. I texted before we went over that I'd be bring my own dinner. Everyone was super cool and it was no big deal and I just ate my yummy W30 food and ignored the pizza (even though it's from one of my favorite definitely-worth-eating places).

I also noticed lots of little bad habits that I'd normally be doing -- for instance I usually "test" my fiance's craft beers by taking a sip or two and I started to do that a couple times! And there are usually snacks sitting out. Pretzels were no problem to ignore but man I really wanted to grab some popcorn. There was a split second where I thought, "Well it's just corn!" but then I remembered that it's definitely popped in bad oils and it was the fun flavored popcorn from those big Christmas tins so god knows what other junk had been dumped on it. So despite the temptations, I made it through the night without snacking!

When we got home late that night, I was hungry (and thought for a while about whether I was hungry or tired and I settled on hungry because I would have totally eaten some chicken & broccoli!) so I grabbed a forkful of pot roast and a small spoon of coconut butter to tide me over til morning.

My face is looking less puffy than pre-W30 (THANK GOODNESS) and I think my waist is looking a little more defined. Also I feel like I could really do paleo long-term -- I would like to have paleo treats here and there, but I think the whole "no bread, no dairy, no beans" thing is doable so long as I take the time to plan.

DAY 7 Jan 12

I slept in again!

MEAL 1: Pot roast, 1/2 mashed sweet potato w/ ghee & coconut milk, roasted Brussels sprouts.

RANDOM SNACK? I had a pickle and some almond butter and a couple frozen cherries before going to the grocery store so I wouldn't eat the entire grocery store. Totally random but yummy. I am so happy I finally found some compliant pickles without food dye (are we even allowed to have food dye? IDK I try to avoid it anyway.) and although they were a ridiculous price ($9?!!?!) they were amazing.

MEAL 2: Last of the pot roast :(, 1/2 roasted sweet potato baked in coconut oil, roasted carrots in coconut oil. Also I had a bite or two of the crock pot chicken I was cooking for the next day.

------------------------------------

7 DAYS!!! I have never stuck to anything this consistently for this long before. Go me! :)

RANDOM SNACK? I had a pickle and some almond butter and a couple frozen cherries before going to the grocery store so I wouldn't eat the entire grocery store. Totally random but yummy. I am so happy I finally found some compliant pickles without food dye (are we even allowed to have food dye? IDK I try to avoid it anyway.) and although they were a ridiculous price ($9?!!?!) they were amazing.

Congrats to making it through 1 week!

When you are hungry for a snack, make sure it's a mini meal including a protein and fat. Nuts and nut butters are considered a fat source on a Whole30. Reserve your 1-2 daily servings of fruit to have with or immediately after a meal.

It has been difficult to avoid the scales.

I feel like I must be "doing it wrong" because I haven't experienced a lot of the negative side effects detailed on the W30 Timeline (yet) and, I think more importantly...I'm used to a constant mild hunger and 24/7 food obsession when I "diet." I know, I know -- the D-word is verboden -- and I'm not viewing this as a once-in-a-lifetime-30-day-thing. I plan to continue on the paleo path after the W30, but even this is technically the start of the a ~*lifestyle change*~, I still compare it to my previous diet adventures.

I've done a few different diets, typically in a half-hearted manner, but the ones I've done the most are Weight Watchers and calorie counting on Sparkpeople.com. Whenever I've done those Biggest-Loser-Approved "healthy low-fat whole-grain junk-food-in-moderation" diet plans, my brain is OBSESSED with food. 24/7, my brain is like...

"When is my next meal? What am I going to eat? 

Can I cheat a little on this?

Can I eat very little now so I can eat a ton later and still be within my points/calories?

I just ate something within my points/calories but it was processed "healthy" junk food so now I'm sleepy and hungry an hour later. :(

I can be moderate with this bag of candy! [ten minutes later] I could not be moderate with that candy, now I have to work out!

How many minutes during the week do I have to work out in order to balance out the junk food on the weekend?

This calorie counter site says I can lose 40 lbs by June if I eat only 1300 calories a day, that seems totes doable!!

My co-worker's lunch smells AMAZING, why didn't I get Taco Bell too?

That commercial for pizza makes me want pizza, yummm.

I ate too much, I need a nap and I feel gross. :( 

Someone mentioned ice cream, now I MUST GET ICE CREAM or I will die, GET ME ICE CREAM. [proceeds to go out of the way to purchase ice cream then binge on ice cream in secret] Ugh, I suck, I'm the worst person, why did I eat all that ice cream? I guess I will have to start over tomorrow on my healthy diet. Since I ruined tonight, I must EAT ALL THE JUNK because I swear to god this will be the last time I ever eat this junk ever!!!!"

As you can imagine, I don't last too long on those plans. The longest I technically lasted was 2 months on Weight Watchers @ Work, but that was only because we paid in advance so I "had to" stay with it. I was not really following the plan, though. I was cheating the system (and my health) by bingeing on junk earlier in the week then being "really good" the day or two before weigh-in so I still "lost" a 1/2 pound or so each week. Or I ate as little as possible during the day and save 75% of my points for some big junky plate of food (like a huge bowl of spaghetti with garlic bread). Or some weeks I just did not care and just ate whatever because next week I'd start over and be perfect.

This Whole 30 thing has been different, though.

I don't feel obsessive -- although I suppose it could seem otherwise if a random grocery-store shopper watched me pick up things, read labels, and put things down over and over! (It's not my fault they don't put food in food anymore!) I don't go to bed obsessed about what I'll eat tomorrow, or hoping my fiance falls asleep first so I can sneak some junk food while no one is watching. Junk food commercials don't kick off immense irresistible cravings. I can turn down birthday cake (on three different days!) and I don't feel deprived.

I do feel awkward at the thought of customizing a meal out to eat (which is why I've only gone out to eat once so far) and I don't want people to think I'm weird or rude or following some crazy nutso unhealthy diet ("NO BREAD?!?!"), but other than that...I'm not worried.

My brain is like, "Did you prep everything like you were supposed to? Okay, then you're good!" and then I'm just...not thinking about food or dieting or any of that, really.

And so because of that, because I'm pretty comfortable eating like this (though of course I have room for improvement WRT leafy greens) and I don't feel like I'm punishing myself ("Sweat is your fat crying!! Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels!!"), it makes me scared that I'm doing something wrong. I mean, aren't I supposed to be whipping myself into shape? No pain, no gain? Not eating delicious delicious homemade coconut-milk-creamy chicken soup or yummy burgers (minus bun) or veggies with butter (well, ghee, technically)?

I guess I am going to trust the process and see what happens. 

DAY 8 Jan 13

MEAL 1: Homemade chicken soup!

I am soooo proud of myself that I made my very first whole chicken yesterday evening (in the crock pot using a super simply recipe from 100 Days of Real Food) then put the bones and some veggie scraps back in the crock pot and made broth overnight. In the morning I strained it all, poured some in a mason jar, added some of the chicken meat, chopped up carrots and celery...it was delicious and my co-workers were jealous. :D

MEAL 2: Leftover pulled pork w/ BBQ sauce, left-over roasted 1/2 sweet potato and carrots w/ coconut oil, celery with almond butter, some frozen cherries.

MEAL 3: Creamy "chicken and dumpling with no dumplings" soup, with chopped up carrots, celery, and green beans.

This was SO good. I used my homemade chicken broth and the already-cooked chicken meat. When I make this again, I will probably double or triple the recipe because I really loved it. I bet I could make a huge batch and freeze it (potentially), which would be a great idea for my busier times.

----------

Also, I almost had to stay until 8pm at work for a program today and I had not prepared any food. They were ordering pizza for the program, and in the past, my Weight Watchers/SparkPeople days, I would have shrugged and eaten the pizza because "well, I guess I can't help it!" But THIS time, I did a quick brainstorm ("Okay, my options are very limited but Chipotle is within walking distance and even if it's not perfect it is better than pizza. Also the grocery store is close enough that I could go over there and at least get a Larabar or a deli-salad!") In the end, they didn't need me to stay but I was proud that I even considered that eating pizza IS a choice and I CAN help it. 

DAY 9 Jan 14 - Tuesday

MEAL 1: Creamy "chicken and dumpling with no dumplings" soup, with chopped up carrots, celery, and green beans.

MEAL 2: Creamy "chicken and dumpling with no dumplings" soup, with chopped up carrots, celery, and green beans; 1/2 orange; 1/2 cucumber.

I probably shouldn't have had the creamy chicken soup twice in a row but it was yummy and convenient so I did! Plus it meets the "guideline" since it has fat from the coconut milk & ghee, veggies, and chicken.

MEAL 3: Big baby kale salad with chicken, slivered almonds, strawberries, EVOO & squirt of fresh OJ; 1/2 orange; 1/2 cucumber.

I had a work program in the evening with free pizza and pop for dinner. Since I knew this was happening, I packed my dinner beforehand. And I felt great! I rocked this! Normally when I get back from one of our evening programs, I use it as an excuse to get a milkshake or eat some cookies. "I worked hard! I deserve a treat!" But I was not even tempted this time. Also good EVOO + a splash of citrus = yum!

DAY 10 Jan 15 - Wednesday

MEAL 1: Creamy "chicken and dumpling with no dumplings" soup, with chopped up carrots, celery, and green beans. I swear I am almost done with this! One last bowl of leftovers. :) I do really like this, though.

MEAL 2: Italian bangers (from Well Fed 2) in lettuce wraps with a bit of mayo & carrots; applesauce; almond butter. This meal was a big fat fail. I was barely interested in eating it but I didn't know what else to do with the bangers and I didn't have any leftovers from dinner since I had to eat on the go last night. I tried to like the lettuce wraps, but no.

MEAL 3: Mashed fauxtatoes w/ ghee & coconut milk and chicken gravy (more like soup, I couldn't get it thicker) with almond crusted chicken tenders; a pickle. The chicken tenders were DELICIOUS and I will be making this again. I thought I would have enough for lunch but I usually end up underestimating when it comes to cooking dinner for my fiance.

-------------------

All I can say is thank goodness today is over. I managed to by-pass lots of snacks and candy at work (though I almost caved for a second there since my lunch was so not what I wanted), only to get home and find out that my soon-to-be-mother-in-law had sent us a box full of Hershey's Kisses! I won't lie, I thought about it. It's just one little piece of chocolate...

But in the end, I did not eat any because it's not even the kind of chocolate I like all that much and I know I would have had at least six or seven, not just one. Now had it been a really good dark chocolate...might have been a different story!!

-------------------

All I can say is thank goodness today is over. I managed to by-pass lots of snacks and candy at work (though I almost caved for a second there since my lunch was so not what I wanted), only to get home and find out that my soon-to-be-mother-in-law had sent us a box full of Hershey's Kisses! I won't lie, I thought about it. It's just one little piece of chocolate...

But in the end, I did not eat any because it's not even the kind of chocolate I like all that much and I know I would have had at least six or seven, not just one. Now had it been a really good dark chocolate...might have been a different story!!

Good job passing on those Hershey's poison I mean kisses. I always say life is too short to eat bad chocolate. And it is just 30 days, you have dark chocolate when it is done. I was at a wedding (not on a W30 but riding my own bike) and the favor was a little See's chocolate. They were all different. Mine was white chocolate and smelled minty. I don't really like white chocolate though. I pulled it out. Smelled it. Considered it. And then put it back in the box after deciding it wasn't worth it. That is the beauty of this program. You learn that you don't NEED any of it which gives you the power to CHOOSE wisely when the program is over. 

Keep going you are doing great!

DAY 11 Jan 16 - Thursday

MEAL 1: Creamy "chicken and dumpling with no dumplings" soup, with chopped up carrots, celery, and green beans.This was the end of it. Unfortunately it wasn't a big enough serving so I was still hungry and I ate a lemon lara bar.

MEAL 2: Baby kale salad with chicken, slivered almonds, a couple Kalamata olives, EVOO & squirt of fresh clementine juice; 1 clementine; 1 cappuccino lara bar.

I was really not looking forward to my lunch and this was made even harder by the fact that I was invited out to lunch at a yummy Greek restaurant. But I made myself eat what I made instead and while my meal was good, I was cranky about the fact that I couldn't go out to eat. So that's why I ate the lara bar. :( That wasn't the smartest thing but at least it was compliant, I guess? No more Lara Bars for me though.

MEAL 3: Chopped salad with chicken, apple, avocado, dried cherries, toasted almonds, cilantro, tomatoes. Instead of the dressing it comes with, I asked for EVOO and a lemon. I also put lemon in my water to feel a little fancier. 

I went out to a nice restaurant for a girls' night. I politely turned down a free glass of champagne and dessert. I did not eat the complimentary soft pretzels brought out before our meal, which was both difficult (soft pretzels are my fav) and easy (I'm on a roll!). I ordered my salad w/o the goat cheese (nomnomnom) and corn that it typically comes with. In the end, I stayed on track and didn't feel too weird about it! Pre-W30, I did not care for lemon & water, but I thought it was good.

DAY 12 Jan 17 - Friday

MEAL 1: Chicken broth & veggie soup; Aidells apple chicken sausage.

MEAL 2: Big baby kale salad w/ Aidells apple chicken sausage, some slivered almonds, EVOO w/ lemon juice; handful of pecans; 1 clementine.

MEAL 3: Jalapeno burger; Well Fed Zucchini Comfort Noodles (made w/ EVOO and a bit of almond flour 'breadcrumbs'); pickle.

BEDTIME SNACK(?): I had a cup of "sleepy time" tea blended with a scoop of coconut milk & some pumpkin pie spice.

DAY 13 Jan 18, Saturday

MEAL 1: I slept in so when I woke up I had a cup of tea blended with coconut milk & cinnamon. About an hour later I ate "meal 2".

MEAL 2: Jalapeno burger w/ some mayo; Well Fed Zucchini Comfort Noodles (made w/ EVOO and a bit of almond flour 'breadcrumbs'); pickle.

MEAL  3: Meatloaf, roasted carrots, sweet potato fries.

DAY 14 Jan 19, Sunday

Slept in again. :)

MEAL 1: Leftover meatloaf, roasted carrots, sweet potato fries, spoonful of almond butter.

MEAL 2: Slow-cooker beef from Well Fed 2, homemade gravy, mashed cauliflower w/ ghee & coconut milk, carrots w/ ghee, some frozen cherries.

TWO WEEKS! 

DAY 15 Jan 20 Monday

HALFWAY THERE! I seriously did not think I would stick to this longer than....15 hours. Because that's usually how it goes.

Since I had the day off for MLK Day, I slept in and when I woke up, I went to the gym! I did 30 minutes on the elliptical then I tried to do some of the weight machine. I don't really know what I'm supposed to be doing at ALL so I just picked the machines that looked helpful.

MEAL 1: Leftover slow-cooker beef, homemade gravy, mashed cauliflower w/ ghee & coconut milk, carrots w/ ghee.

MEAL 2: Leftover meatloaf, cooked carrots w/ghee, homemade gravy, mashed cauliflower w/ ghee & coconut milk, applesauce w/ cinnamon.

I also had a mug of tea blended with coconut milk & pumpkin pie spice.

DAY 16 Jan 21 Tuesday

Felt a little under the weather & didn't sleep very well the night before. :(

MEAL 1: Shredded parsnip & carrot hash w/ an egg scrambled in; leftover slow-cooker beef; mug of green tea.

This was my first time trying parsnips. It turns out I am not a fan. It tasted like lemony-oniony perfume. Like I was chewing on something laced with soap fragrance. I ate most but couldn't finish it all. Sadly I have another one in my fridge right now already peeled and waiting to be used. I don't know what to do with it, I'm pretty sure I don't want to eat it...We'll see. But hey at least I tried it!

MEAL 2: Leftover slow-cooker beef, homemade gravycarrots cooked w/ ghee, Well Fed Zucchini Comfort Noodles (made w/ EVOO and a bit of almond flour 'breadcrumbs'), a clementine, a handful of pecans. Also later that afternoon I had a few sips of black coffee. Mostly because I was working late, so I was getting bored and wanted to eat candy. 

MEAL 3: Almond-flour crusted chicken tenders, mashed sweet potato w/ ghee & coconut milk, a pickle.

I think I may have had 1 too many chicken tenders, because I like the taste but I probably wasn't actually hungry enough to eat a whole tender. So on the one hand I have to make sure to "listen" to my body and stop eating, but on the other hand, I DID stop the other night and didn't finish my whole plate since I was full.

DAY 17 Jan 22 Wednesday

MEAL 1: Left over beef, mashed fauxtatoes, carrots.

MEAL 2: Big salad with chicken tenders, olive oil, lemon juice, kalamata olives; a clementine; some pecans.

MEAL 3: Leftover chicken tenders, a sweet potato, a pickle.

Archived