Forgetfulness

I have always been a little spacey/forgetful professor, but this is getting a little out of hand. I forget my daily medication almost every day (and remember right before bed), I lost my keys in my apartment yesterday, and today I forgot my whole bag of food! Because I'm a teacher, I bring my lunch to school EVERY DAY! The physical motion of grabbing my lunch is ingrained in me, but I forgot. I also feel like I'm two seconds behind on all my students' names - again, 204 students after two weeks of winter break...that's not super weird, but I am fanatical about names and really pride myself on knowing then, but my brain feels like it's the beginning of the year!

None of these things would be unusual by themselves, but so many all together is starting to worry me. I am on day 8 of my whole30 - is there any part of the timeline or the book that mentions a "forget all the things" period?

I tend to experience the "fog" when I haven't eaten enough.. Are you sure you're getting enough to eat?  I can't tell you how many Instagram food pics I see that are tagged #Whole30 but really look like grain free/ dairy free Weight Watchers meals ;)

I definitely feel like I eat enough good and fat because I love nuts!

Sample:

M1: two egg muffins with sausage and veggies, bananas and coconut, smokes salmon and chives

M2: 2 c golden cauliflower soup, 1/2-3/4 chicken breast, 2 handfuls of spinach with olive oil dressing, and 1/8 c cashews

Pre-wo- egg muffin, 1/8 c nuts, small serving fruit

M3: same as m2

I eat until I am SUPER satiated and with the coconut, nuts, olive oil that I cook everything in, and oil dressing I feel like this has to be enough (I did calorie count one day and it was 1300 calories which is a little low for my height/weight/activity, but not extremely?)

Is it still not enough?

Try eating just a little more.  Your meals look good to me, but if the brain fog is really getting to you I would just up the volume to see if that knocks it out.  Day 8 could still be in "carb flu" territory, so that could also be why you're head's not working 100%.

Just for fun, I tracked my meals from yesterday so you can compare (yes I know it's not allowed, but it for statistical purposes and it's in no way influencing the way I'm eating, plus, I'm a rebel).  I'm 5'5", athletic build, and am a size 2.

M1: sausage, egg, and butternut scamble

M2: butternut squoodles w/ meat sauce, side of broiled eggplant/onion

Pre-wo: can of sardines in oil

Post-wo: 1/2 sweet potato and 4 slices roast beef

M3: dark meat chicken quarter and 2 cups broccoli with ranch mayo

Cals: 2286  Carb: 127g Fat: 142g  Protein: 140g

I definitely feel like I eat enough good and fat because I love nuts!

Sample:

M1: two egg muffins with sausage and veggies, bananas and coconut, smokes salmon and chives

M2: 2 c golden cauliflower soup, 1/2-3/4 chicken breast, 2 handfuls of spinach with olive oil dressing, and 1/8 c cashews

Pre-wo- egg muffin, 1/8 c nuts, small serving fruit

M3: same as m2

I eat until I am SUPER satiated and with the coconut, nuts, olive oil that I cook everything in, and oil dressing I feel like this has to be enough (I did calorie count one day and it was 1300 calories which is a little low for my height/weight/activity, but not extremely?)

Is it still not enough?

You might be ok - a couple thoughts:

- Roughly how many veggies would be in those two egg muffins at breakfast?  You want to make sure you're getting 1-3 cups of veggies per meal.

- Your pre-wo snack should not include fruit. 

Also, are you staying sufficiently hydrated? Aim for drinking water, in the amount of at least half your body weight in ounces, daily.

I bought baby carrots to add an extra cup of veggies at m1 and larger silicone muffin molds so that for next week I can make my eggies in there and have more control of what goes in each (rather than making a giant batch to put in cupcake molds which are tiny). Two eggs + 1/2 c meat + c veggies in addition to my salmon and carrots and a half a fruit.

I will also cut the fruit from pre-wo and try to still with meat and veg - I just feel like I eat so much meat and veggies already and yes, I liked the little sugar rush :/ i julienne sliced some cukes and bought some peppers to make salad more interesting.

Thanks guys - I hope it helps!

Archived