Work dinner / challenging menu

Juice06870

I have to attend a company dinner with my wife and her colleagues tomorrow night, I will be on day 10 of this current Whole30 (my 2nd Whole30).  I normally have no problems navigating restaurant menus and planning my order out in advance.  I took a look at the menu for this place last night and it looks like most of the stuff has a lot of off-plan ingredients (it's a tapas bar).  I have attached the link to the menu below...

http://baroct.com/images/menus/Bar-o%20Dinner%20Menu%20Final%20Web.pdf

My early ideas (sorted by subcategory)

FRIO:

Castillo (without the lentils or vinaigrette) 

Remolacha (without goat cheese mousse or vinaigrette)

Camarone (this looks like the winner, might need about 3 of these)

CARRETERA:

Guacamole tradicional (are there any sneaky unlisted ingredients I should be aware of?)

MESA:

Pollo (without lentils or sweet plantains, assuming the plantains aren't cooked in something compliant)

Gambas (no risotto, and will check if the chili oil is olive oil based with chilis and hopefully nothing else)

Thoughts/suggestions?

I also plan on eating an RXBar and/or and EPIC bar on the ride up, just to get something in my system and tide me over in case I really can't find much to eat)

Maybe some of the skewers would be okay?  You could call and ask about the Corazon (if you're not squeamish about it) or Pulpo, of course avoiding the non whole 30 sides.  If they make their own chorizo in house maybe it will be compliant?  If you don't think so, let me know why so I can learn from your experience!

Otherwise I'd go for the Pollo under MESA - though I'd try to swap the plantains for greens or something else, they're always cooked in butter I thought.

I have to attend a company dinner with my wife and her colleagues tomorrow night, I will be on day 10 of this current Whole30 (my 2nd Whole30).  I normally have no problems navigating restaurant menus and planning my order out in advance.  I took a look at the menu for this place last night and it looks like most of the stuff has a lot of off-plan ingredients (it's a tapas bar).  I have attached the link to the menu below...

http://baroct.com/images/menus/Bar-o%20Dinner%20Menu%20Final%20Web.pdf

My early ideas (sorted by subcategory)

FRIO:

Castillo (without the lentils or vinaigrette) 

Remolacha (without goat cheese mousse or vinaigrette)

Camarone (this looks like the winner, might need about 3 of these)

CARRETERA:

Guacamole tradicional (are there any sneaky unlisted ingredients I should be aware of?)

MESA:

Pollo (without lentils or sweet plantains, assuming the plantains aren't cooked in something compliant)

Gambas (no risotto, and will check if the chili oil is olive oil based with chilis and hopefully nothing else)

Thoughts/suggestions?

I also plan on eating an RXBar and/or and EPIC bar on the ride up, just to get something in my system and tide me over in case I really can't find much to eat)

Big things to ask about/look out for:

- marinades - if anything is marinated, ask lots of questions, or skip it. Marinades can contain gluten, soy, and sugar among other things.

- seasonings - candidate for gluten or soy

- request dry grilled, if possible, to avoid any junky/non-compliant oils

Do you like mussels? The steamed mussels look promising (as long at they're not steamed in butter or alcohol) - not sure of all the fixings with them.

Wonder if you could get that with plain roasted beets and some guacamole on the side?

Wow this is a tough challenge. I think you made some great choices. Sometimes they put sour cream in guacamole so you might want to ask. You might also want to say you have an allergy because some servers don't pay attention when you say "no dairy" etc.

Archived