Help with meal size and timing

MerBear

Hi! I work out at 5:30am and have to be at work at 7:45, and I'm not allowed to eat during work (only lunch break). My plan now is eat small amt of yam and chicken on my way home from the gym, eat breakfast about 45 min later, then lunch and dinner as usual. By the time dinner rolls around, I'm ready to eat an entire animal. Any suggestions/feedback on what I could possibly tweak? I'm on day 9 so still feeling a little sluggish. FYI eating prior to workout is not an option for me, so I have a tbs coconut oil or butter. Thanks!!

The timing sounds good. Are you following the meal template in ISWF? If you are, are you eating at the higher end of the recommendations? What do typical breakfast, lunch and dinner look like?

Would you be able to add in some protein before your workout? Tuna or compliant jerky? Hard boiled egg?

Sorry Physibeth, I should have elaborated, coconut butter. I am dairy free :)

DMH1138 -- I'll be honest in that I haven't fully read ISWF yet. Had every intention of doing so, but I didn't. My food is like to think size wise is pretty compliant, I may be slightly on the light side of veggies, I think I may need to tweak that a little. My typical breakfasts look like:

Bfast: 4 eggs and avocado, kale and spinach only shake

Lunch: paleo chicken curry with rotisserie chicken breast, veggies, cauliflower rice

Dinner: 1/3lb burger with tomato chutney, side salad with EVOO + Vin, pumpkin soup

This morning post WO I had about 1/2c yam and a few ozs chicken breast. Jammed home from the gym and showered and got ready and are bfast quickly before leaving for work.

Post WO snack/meal is around 6:20am, Bfast is around 7:15am, lunch 12-1p, dinner between 5:45-6:45pm.

I could try eating a hard boiled egg pre WO but honestly it scares me to do so, I get super nauseous with anything in my stomach during workout.

Thanks is much for your support with this!!

Sorry Physibeth, I should have elaborated, coconut butter. I am dairy free :)

DMH1138 -- I'll be honest in that I haven't fully read ISWF yet. Had every intention of doing so, but I didn't. My food is like to think size wise is pretty compliant, I may be slightly on the light side of veggies, I think I may need to tweak that a little. My typical breakfasts look like:

Bfast: 4 eggs and avocado, kale and spinach only shake

Lunch: paleo chicken curry with rotisserie chicken breast, veggies, cauliflower rice

Dinner: 1/3lb burger with tomato chutney, side salad with EVOO + Vin, pumpkin soup

This morning post WO I had about 1/2c yam and a few ozs chicken breast. Jammed home from the gym and showered and got ready and are bfast quickly before leaving for work.

Post WO snack/meal is around 6:20am, Bfast is around 7:15am, lunch 12-1p, dinner between 5:45-6:45pm.

I could try eating a hard boiled egg pre WO but honestly it scares me to do so, I get super nauseous with anything in my stomach during workout.

Thanks is much for your support with this!!

Shakes/smoothies are discouraged on a Whole30. The idea is to chew your food vs. drink it, as chewing is more satiating.

Otherwise, everything looks good. Aim for 1-3 cups of veggies per meal.

I understand Chris. Do you think it provides any benefit to include it? Otherwise I'll just leave it out. I wanted something green for the days I couldn't do a skillet eggs type of concoction. Thank you for your feedback Chris :)

There is benefit to eating whole kale and spinach - yes, please do. Just don't juice them.  :)

I think your portion sizes look good.  I would stick with it.  If you eat your three meals with no snacking and are ravenous at dinner, just increase your portions some across all your meals.  Or eat your dinner.  Then decide if you are truly hungry for more.  Best wishes.

Here is the ISWF Meal planning template:

http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf

As for the pre-workout food this may just take some getting used to or more experimentation. Maybe start with just half an egg? Really we just want you to put something in your tummy first thing in the morning so your body understands you are not starving it when you jump into your day without feeding it.

Archived