Acidity regulator ??

Cassie M

I have a jar of Jalapenos, and the ingredients are: jalapenos, water, salt, acidity regulator.

Is "acidity regulator" one of these sneaky terms for sugar? It doesn't sound very natural. Does anybody know what it is, and if I should avoid it?

• Moderators

Wikipedia says... Acidity regulators, or pH control agents, are food additives added to change or maintain pH (acidity or basicity). They can be organic or mineral acids, bases, neutralizing agents, or buffering agents.

Acidity regulators are indicated by their E number, such as E260 (acetic acid), or simply listed as "food acid".

Commonly used acidity regulators are citric, acetic and lactic acids.

I would prefer a jar with more precisely listed ingredients, but wouldn't worry about "acidity regulator" too much.

Thanks, Tom!

I looked at that Wikipedia page and the E number indicates that it's a preservative ... which made me wonder if it was something sneaky! I of course would prefer to use fresh jalapenos, but I have that jar in my fridge that I would hate to see wasted, so I'll polish it off before I start the August W30 and look for a better option.

Cheers!

Archived