Day 9 - Trouble sleeping!

I'm on day 9 and I haven't slept properly in about 5 days. I fall asleep around 10, then wake up 2-4 hours later and have trouble falling back into sleep or do so very lightly. Before starting w30 I used to sleep very well, about 7-8 hours per night. Also have low energy and have missed my workouts in the past 2 days. I regularly go 6-7 x per week. I'm almost at the point of giving up.

I'm normally very healthy, no issues at all, bloodwork excellent, except maybe need to lose about 10-15 lbs (my BMI is in the high normal range). I'm turning 54 this month and peri-menipausal, and I've read somewhere that carbs are necessary to stabilize hormone fluctuation in women my age. I checked my typical carb consumption, it's been maybe 30 g per day mostly from yams and sweet potato (I don't each much fruit).

Should I "power through" and can I expect to get over the hump soon, or adjust my carb consumption upwards? The sleep deprivation is really tough, I'm not sure I can last much longer.

• Moderators

Try eating a whole sweet potato per day (or equivalent starchy veggie). You are correct that many people need starchy veggies/carbs to be at their best. 

I tend to wake after 4 hours of sleep. Some things I do that help include making sure I have eaten substantial meals all day long. I can't eat enough at supper to keep me from getting hungry at night if I have skipped a meal earlier in the day. Also, I take a timed release melatonin supplement. The timed release is important to help me stay sleepy through the night. 

Thanks, I will increase my carb consumption and let you know how it goes. 

Tom, did you always have those sleep patterns or was this something that happened after w30? I'm troubled by the idea that sub-optimal sleep may be something I'll have to deal with permanently if I stick to this eating plan. I'm not sure it would be worth it.

Archived