Unsweetened Almond Milk

Nadya

These are the ingredients on the whole foods 365 brand of unsweetened almond milk....

Organic almond milk (filtered water, organic almonds)

Tri calcium phosphate

Sea salt

Potassium citrate

Organic locust bean gum

Gellan gum

Organic sunflower lectin

Vitamin A palmitate

Ergo calciferol (vitamin D2)

DL-Alpha tocopherol acetate (Vitamin E)

Are these ingredients ok on whole 30?

It is so incredibly easy to make your own.  I soaked raw almonds overnight, added them and 4 cups water to my Ninja blender, blended it on high for a minute, and strained it using a nut milk bag I got from Amazon.  I also added some cinnamon to it.  When I'm done with W30, I'm going to add a little natural sweetener to it and maybe a dash of vanilla extract.  I use it in my coffee as creamer, along with coconut milk, which is also extremely easy to make.  Best part is that when you're done, you can dry the leftover pulp for almond flour!

I don't see anything on that list that is officially not permitted on the whole30, but it is a pretty processed food. use your own judgement on whether you include it.

ps. making your own almond milk (just almond + water) is pretty easy if you want to give it a try.

• 1 month later...

^ This.  :)  There's easy, and there's do I even have enough time to do THIS, on top of everything else, even though it's easy. 

I found Silk Original Unsweetened Almond Milk in the new MOM's organic market (love them already!) and bought a carton to try it out in preparation for a March 1 start.

Ingredients:  Almondmilk (Filtered Water, Almonds), Sea Salt, Locust Bean Gum, Sunflower Lecithin, Gellan Gum, Natural Flavor

Hoping the "natural flavor" is ok.  We'll see.

-Emay (a total newbie)

• 1 year later...

I've done a lot of research, and I'm still struggling to understand what brands of almond milk are permitted on Whole30. I know it is best to make your own almond milk, but I'm very busy and looking for a timesaver.  

Since the Whole Foods 365 unsweetened almond milk and the Silk unsweetened almond milk don't have carrageenan, are these brands compliant with Whole30?

Thanks!

• Administrators

If the product you are looking to purchase does not include ingredients that are on the "no" list, you can buy it.  We generally do not recommend brands or product lines because manufacturers can change things on a whim or vary their recipe/ingredients by region.  What's safe for me might not be for you.  

Also wanted to remind you that the Whole30 discourages drinking nut milks (and juices) because calories that are ingested through liquids are not recognized by the brain/body.  We'd rather you just eat the almonds. If you're wanting to put it in coffee, that would be alright.

• 9 months later...
  • Administrators

To those that make their own Almond Milk.....what do you do with the leftover pulp?  Is there a way to use it somehow?  I would hate to throw it away.  Seems like a waste.  Thanks!

I think you can spread it out to dry and then use it as almond flour/meal?  You might have to put it through the food processor again, depending on the texture....might not be fine enough?

• Moderators

To those that make their own Almond Milk.....what do you do with the leftover pulp?  Is there a way to use it somehow?  I would hate to throw it away.  Seems like a waste.  Thanks!

This page has instructions for turning it into almond flour, scroll down past the almond milk instructions.

Archived