A veggie starting today!

Natalie A

I'm starting my first (hopefully) start-to-finish Whole30 today.  I've tried it several times in the past but for various reasons have never made it to the end.  

I'm mostly vegetarian.  I may have chicken or fish occasionally if I come across something that I know is humanely raised. Those instances, though, are unfortunately few and far between.  I do eat eggs.

I'm hoping that being active on this forum will keep me motivated to power on.  I've been paleo for a while, but I cheat often. I'm caught in a vicious cycle of eating too little for too long, followed by bingeing.  I take anti depressants that kill my appetite and make me feel nauseous.  I have struggled with my weight for most of my life. At this point I have probably about 10 pounds to lose (not enough to worry about, but if it would finally come off I wouldn't complain about it), but maintain my weight only with an exhausting amount of exercise (5x/week Crossfit and sometimes running too if my weight starts to creep up).  I was recently diagnosed with PCOS, which could explain my trouble losing weight, and was told that my insulin resistance will progress to full blown diabetes if I don't keep it in check as I get older.

I completely believe in the whole food movement and I am excited to get things underway for real this time.  Any support is appreciated, especially from other veggies who might offer some guidance as to how to stay healthy without meat.  I'm hoping I can get off of my medications for good and leave the days of insane cardio behind me.  Wish me luck!

Today is nine days into my Whole30 and I'm so glad I'm doing it. I am blessed to be doing it with an amazing group of people, and the results that were happening just within the first week were amazing. We have one team member that was on insulin regularly to control her blood sugars and four days of clean eating on the Whole30 and she was off of it completely and hasn't had to take it anymore because her sugar levels are completely stable. I can't offer to much advice in terms of being a vegetarian, just make sure you are getting the nutrients you need! I know we have a few in our group that are that seem to be doing great with it following the vegetarian approved foods list and modifying a lot of the recipes people post to fall more in line with what they need. Keep pushing forward!

If you'd like to check out my challenge blog, feel free to do so!

http://challengeuniversity.wordpress.com

Blens- As far as protein goes I'm hoping to rely mostly on eggs to start out and see how that goes.  Last night I had a hunger that no amount of vegetables could fix and a couple eggs added to my already planned dinner did the trick and I felt great for the rest of the night. I've been looking into Eatwild.com, which has a ton of options for humanely raised meat in Oregon, and if I really find the Whole30 veggie plan to be unsustainable I may consider using them as a resource to eat some meat without compromising my values too much.   

On a side note, my partner came home last night from a work trip to find our fridge purged of junk food and stuffed to the brim with cucumbers, eggs, and leafy greens.  He jetted out of here early this morning so he could get something to eat. I'm sure he's chowing down on a hot pocket as I write this. *sigh*

Hi, I'm ilu and I'm starting the whole30 right now!
I'm vegetarian since 2002.
Last years i start to eat more packed food, more flour, bread, cheese and I was looking for a change when i discover this concept.

Today I'm cutting off sugar, flour and processed food.

I'm planning to  eat some lentils, and yogurth three or four times a week and see what happens.
I know it will be no easy but i'm pretty sure IT IS NOT IMPOSIBLE!

Good luck to you, Natalie!  I was a veggie for a long time, but added humanely-raised animals who were fed their natural diets to my diet about a year and a half ago.  The ethical issues here are very important to me, but eating meat again has all but cured my depression and skin problems.  I also no longer need anti-depressants!  :D

Oh and... Is that a Corgi in your picture??

Archived