I can't stop weighing myself

Lisa L

Help! I can't stop weighing myself.

I don't even own a scale!!! There's one here at work. I will weigh at random times during the day, fully clothed. I don't really care about the number so much but I'm a numbers person and I think it keeps me from measuring my food and tracking my calories.

Some days I weigh more and some days I weigh less. It doesn't affect my mood or outlook on the day. 

Why do I keep weighing myself? If I don't really care about the number so why does it matter if I weigh? Also, if I don't really care about the number then why do I keep doing it?

If you really didn't care, you would be able to stop. It is affecting you subconsciously if nothing else and it is not permitted during a whole30. Thems the rules*, so stop it!  :P

*Why? Because weight fluctuates 5-10lbs just from water retention, constipation, hormone shifts...All manner of things impact this and weight loss doesn't happen in a linear way. I know if I weighed myself every day it would make me question every bite that went into my mouth (either restricting more or indulging more, depending on what direction it went). Why jeopardize your ability to tune into you own body's signals for how much or how little to eat? A big part of the whole30 is getting rid of those kinds of distractions. You got the food part down already, you can do this too.  :)

Maybe because the Whole 30 is so stressful it is something you can control?  Try weighing yourself one less time everyday and see if it helps to ease off that way.  I know how you feel, I weighed myself b/c I am so bloated I was worried I had gained weight.  I know it's not allowed, but sometimes we do these things out of habit and peace of mind.

Good luck!

I have not weighed myself in at least six months (note I used to be a daily weigher), but I did take measurements at the start of this W30. Being on Day 11 now and feeling much less bloated and gross than at the start, the thought crossed my mind this morning to see if I'd lost any inches yet. Then I remembered that measuring during W30 against the rules, and the rules exist for a reason. So I didn't measure. And after a few minutes, the thought went away.

The act of "just stopping" was much harder during my first W30 than it is now. But what I found was that each time I practiced not giving into the compulsion, it became easier.

If you really didn't care, you would be able to stop. It is affecting you subconsciously if nothing else and it is not permitted during a whole30. Thems the rules*, so stop it!  :P

*Why? Because weight fluctuates 5-10lbs just from water retention, constipation, hormone shifts...All manner of things impact this and weight loss doesn't happen in a linear way. I know if I weighed myself every day it would make me question every bite that went into my mouth (either restricting more or indulging more, depending on what direction it went). Why jeopardize your ability to tune into you own body's signals for how much or how little to eat? A big part of the whole30 is getting rid of those kinds of distractions. You got the food part down already, you can do this too.  :)

This exactly.  The scale is not your friend, and it does not help you track accurate numbers regarding your health.

Archived