Llysta's Whole30 Log - First Time Through

ljmena

This is very unusual to be posting personal logs on a forum...

My Summarized Story

I have a number of health problems.

I also have a number of mental health problems.

The mental health problems were preventing me from addressing my physical health problems, which, in turn, exacerbate my mental health problems.  It's a cycle.

So a little less then a year ago, I realized I was done allowing my bulimia/binge eating of 10 years to prevent me from trying to find the mental and physical health that I wanted to obtain and could only be achieved through diet change.  

So with a lot of exhaustion, time, effort, more exhaustion, crying, and many failures over that year, I have managed to come to a point in my life where I can now make diet changes without immediately falling back into eating disordered behavior.  This is my struggle in life, and I will always have to monitor it, but I cannot allow it to prevent me from finding the health that I so desperately desire.

I have done a very high protein diet (which was great to learn more about the variety of proteins), and I have done a ketogenic diet (which was great learning about how to use fats), and I have done very structured meal plan diets (all created by me, which was great in learning and tracking how I eat and what my needs are).  Those were essentially my "practice rounds" as I (didn't realize it) worked my way to the Whole30.

Goals

- To put into action that food is just food, not the enemy

- To allow my body to get to a point where I can begin to determine what specifically is causing some of my other problems

- To eat more mindfully

Health to Heal

- Acne...it just never goes away.  Ever.

- Digestion...my intestines hate to digest food...seemingly all of it

- Sleep...my body wants to do it all the time, but never lets me actually fall into it

- Depression...the part that is diet related

- Mental Clarity...I want to focus on and enjoy life 

I normally don't like to declare my commitments to things like this challenge in such a public way.  If I document it for everyone to see like this, then when the "failure" comes, it is all the more painful.

But that line of reasoning is exactly what I have been learning to get past in the last year.  So I'm declaring it here and now that 1) I am going to stick with it for the whole 30 days and 2) I will be absolutely honest if I eat a piece of cheese or an entire birthday cake.

Cheers and good luck to all!

Day #1

Today I was feeling the effects of my prior evening's binge of pizza and cupcakes.  As a result, I felt pretty stuffed and bloated throughout the day.  I actually did get hungry at about 5pm, but it was much more along the telltale signs of my blood sugar crashing.  This was disappointing as I had worked so hard and was successfully controlling it.  But it was also understandable because December was pretty much "to hell with health month".

I ate this today:

M1: sweet potato with ghee

M2: salmon and steamed sugar snap peas

M3: beef stir fry with cabbage and a fried egg

Snack: avocado

What I learned:

I have done a pretty good job in keeping my blood sugar in check with diet

Brutal Confession:

Those leftover cupcakes that were still packaged in the trash?  Yeah, came pretty close to dredging them out and eating them.

Day #1

Today I was feeling the effects of my prior evening's binge of pizza and cupcakes.  As a result, I felt pretty stuffed and bloated throughout the day.  I actually did get hungry at about 5pm, but it was much more along the telltale signs of my blood sugar crashing.  This was disappointing as I had worked so hard and was successfully controlling it.  But it was also understandable because December was pretty much "to hell with health month".

I ate this today:

M1: sweet potato with ghee

M2: salmon and steamed sugar snap peas

M3: beef stir fry with cabbage and a fried egg

Snack: avocado

What I learned:

I have done a pretty good job in keeping my blood sugar in check with diet

Brutal Confession:

Those leftover cupcakes that were still packaged in the trash?  Yeah, came pretty close to dredging them out and eating them.

Step away from the trashed cupcakes!  :) 

Some quick feedback on your log:

- Do you have a copy of the meal template? Each of your meals should follow this template: http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf

- Meals 2 and 3 look good.

- Meal 1 was missing protein: get 1-2 palm-sized servings in at each meal.

- And for snacks, they should be a mini meal including a protein and fat, so add a protein to that avocado next time.  Sometimes the need for a snack indicates portion sizes at earlier meals need to be larger, so play around with that as well.

Nice start!

I have to dump the junk food out of its container and smash it into the trash so I can guarantee I won't pull it out. My first day I had to smash a fortune cookie into wasabi. Good luck, friend, you can do this! :)

Haha!  I have done that many times in the past myself.  I think I purposefully didn't smash them this time because I was testing my willpower.  That was probably playing with fire though...

Interestingly enough, my brother ended up pulling them out of the trash and eating them...I should probably stipulate that the container they were in was very secure, and they were on the top of the trash can.

Thank you, Chris, for your advice.

Archived