Shredded unsweetened coconut

KatMar

Hey folks,

So, I bought a bag of shredded unsweet coconut a bit ago, with the plans to make coconut butter to try in baking (pre-Whole30). Couple issues there... First, my blender and food processor aren't quite powerful enough to make a smooth coconut butter... Second, I REALLY don't like coconut.

I've been working on it, I'm golden with virgin coconut oil now and full fat coconut milk is a staple, both for cooking and coffee. But shredded coconut is very distinctly coconutty.

Any suggestions for what else I might do with this bag? Whole30 or otherwise, food or not, I want to be resourceful and use it somehow!

• Moderators

Would you be okay with the coconut mixed into something savory, to help balance out the flavor? For instance, I've heard great things about the Bora Bora Fireballs from The Clothes Make the Girl. I'm actually making them sometime tonight to take to a party tomorrow, haven't ever tried them before, but I've read good things about them.

If you really don't like coconut, I'm guessing sprinkling some on some fresh fruit along with a meal occasionally (it would be a fat source) is out of the question, right? That's how I would probably have it, but I like coconut.

That's all I can think of, other than some really not W30 compliant desserts. 

Honestly, it's really the texture that kills me. It's gritty and weird (Sorry). Though I did just discover that they can be toasted for a bit of crunchy topping on some dishes, so I may give that a try.

Tell me the desserts anyway! I'll save the ideas for post Whole30 or I'll make them and use my coworkers as taste test subjects. :)

Try coconut shrimp! I have a weird texture thing with coconut and sometimes don't care for an overwhelmingly coconut-y taste as well. Coconut shrimp is out of this world and easy!

I just take peeled shrimp, dip it in egg, then coat with a mixture of shredded coconut, salt, pepper, and dried cilantro. One minute on each side in a pan with coconut oil and YUM! Better than any other "fried" shrimp I've had and I love a good fried shrimp :)

The Bora Bora Fireballs are AWESOME - having them for dinner each night this week! Because you toast the coconut first (who knew how easy that was - hot pan, no oil and throw the coconut in - after 3 minutes it's toasty and brown!) - you lose a lot of that "chewy" texture coconut has and it becomes more crunchy. I highly recommend them (made mine with ground turkey instead of pork).

Archived