Whole30 start on January 11th

JGiggly

Hello EVERYONE!

Health problems? Yes. Overweight? Yes. Crabby? YES! The dirty truth... I know this could be rectified with a healthy diet and good choices. I have always had faith in the power of food to heal even if I didn't adhere to a healthy regimen. I have tried on and off for a couple years to (not strictly) follow the paleo diet. I thought it was right before it became a fad. I just couldn't seem to commit to it. The longest I have gone is three weeks. Usually after two weeks I have a debilitating flare-up, get mad, and quit.

I also think it important to admit some things. The real dirt:

1. I love food

2. I use food. I use it for comfort. I use it when I am stressed. I use it for fun. Yup, it's my drug. So unhealthy.

3. I made excuses for not caring about myself. For example, I was on a weight loss plan (not truly healthy) in 2009. I had lost 40 pounds and felt somewhat successful. Anyway, my brother committed suicide and I allowed that horrific moment to define the way I was caring for myself. Healthy left and I blamed my sadness and loss... no, not blamed... I used it as my acceptable excuse.

4. I have health problems: Hypothyroidism, high cholesterol, borderline of borderline for having diabetes, fibromyalgia, and some mysterious medical autoimmune inflammatory issue.

Clearly, I have nothing to lose and everything to gain from this commitment. I want to enjoy my life. I want to enjoy my time with my kids through activity and not a movie night (not that those aren't nice). I am too tired and too sore to ski, hike, swim...

So, this is my commitment to the Whole30 program. Let's do this! (Feel free to encourage me at any point :D )

January 11, 2014 is my day 1.

I'm starting my whole30 today as well! I'm doing the basic protocol with eggs and nuts removed as I'm sensitive to egg whites and almonds. I have a laundry list of complaints but nothing diagnosed. My main problem is my IBS so I hope this can help. I'm not eliminating nightshades because I've never had an issue with them, but do you think I should?

I am starting my Whole 30 today as well.  I too use food for comfort, emotional support, reward and such, which is weird because I never thought I did, until I started really paying attention to my self talk (which is usually negative).  I started paying more attention to what I eat over the last few years because my father had bypass surgery and is in terrible health.  I started to realize that what I'm doing now at 41 will actually affect me at 65 and up. (As it is already affecting me now at 41!)

I'm not in terrible health, but I do suffer from depression (which came on after the birth of my 3 kids), have high triglycerides (total sugar addict), and have pre stomach ulcers as well as Barrett's esophagus.  I was also injured last year doing my second half marathon and now suffer from what I think is bursitis, but haven't been into the doctor yet to confirm.  Wait, after rereading all of this, I'm not in great health either!  Scary to see it in print.

I'm hoping that this Whole 30 will help my hip pain and the depression the most.  I can deal with the other stuff.  Our family is going through some stress with our oldest right now that is making my depression terrible.  I feel like food I can control, other things, I cannot.  So here I am!

Probably more than you wanted to know, but just so you realize, I am starting this journey along with you! 

Marciawicket, I don't think the plan tells you to give up nightshades, because in the book they say tomatoes are okay, unless I read it wrong.  Someone correct me if I'm quoting wrong info.

I'm so glad I have people to do this with me! YAY! Anyway...about the nightshades: I red in "The Paleo Solution" that if you have inflammation or autoimmune issues then you should avoid nightshades and nuts and eggs. I feel for me that is too limiting and I will determine if they really gotta go after my 30 is up. Anyway, GO LADIES! We can do this. I hope you all had a successful day.

Go us!! Thanks JGiggly, I'm still on the fence about tomatoes... I've never had an issue with them before but I also don't want to put in a month of work and then not get as many results as possible because I didn't take them out. I'd almost rather add them in later but who knows what I'll do yet. Just thinking out loud over here. Christie, definitely not too much info, we all have a history that has brought us to where we are today and what I've learned through all my hormone and GI issues is that often we have more in common than we think, and that can be reassuring. The more we share our stories the more we realize how similar we are :) well I am very happy to have two people who are starting on this journey with me today and I will definitely be coming back to this thread to give encouragement and hopefully to get some as well when I have to answer to people who don't understand why I'm doing another "diet" to try and fix health concerns that they don't see as an issue. Anyway, pat yourselves on the back for a first day finished.

How'd you all do yesterday?  Day 1 wasn't bad for me, since I was home and had access to all my food choices.  today I am eating out for a friend's bday and have to work, so it will be a bit more challenging, but I have control over my choices and I know I can do it.

What's on the agenda for you guys?

I'm at home today, and yesterday I roasted a chicken and started to simmer some broth so today I made chicken soup. Super excited to see we can have Kombucha while on whole30!! I'm annoyed because I bought burgers made at whole foods and the girl assured me they only had spices in them but after I bought them I saw they had vinegar in them and apparently it's dried vinegar and they just get the spice mix so needless to say I have no idea if it has sulphites in it or not and I'm passing them into my boyfriend. I woke up feeling majorly hungover today and I've been feeling the same way all day. What about you?

I love making chicken soup! Go YOU! Today I am overtired. I haven't been sleeping well (hangover perhaps?). I am happy to report that I have prepared lunches for the coming week and I have a roast in the slow cooker for dinner tonight. I also delivered all the food I packed up. I feel excited and pumped,  but tired. 

Archived