Need ideas for pulled pork

Vian

I have a recipe I love for pulled pork, it is a copycat recipe of Chipotle's pork carnitas. I'm already using pork shoulder this week to make the Char Siu from Well Fed, but I thought if I got a huge pork shoulder, I could use it for another meal too. Usually I make a copycat Chipotle Carnitas salad with the pork (with green chili tomatillo salsa, guac, sauteed peppers and onion, sour cream and cheese). The problem here is that I really love this salad with the sour cream and cheese, and I know I would miss them if I tried to make it without them. I feel the sour cream especially adds a lot to the taste I love in the dish.

However, the pulled pork itself is very mildly seasoned with just black pepper, thyme, juniper berries, and bay leaf. I'm sure it could be paired with other things in another way to make a totally different dish, but I'm at a loss for ideas. Any ideas from all you kitchen wizards out there would be greatly appreciated!

We are in the midst of making carnitas for dinner tonight. We salt and peppered the meat then browned it.  Then added cumin, oregano, 1 orange and 1 lime squeezed and then thown in, I onion cut in quarters so we can pick it out later- (so it's lowfodmap), 1 jalapeño, a couple dried chilies de arbol, a couple cloves of garlic, and a tbsp tomato paste.  The rest of the family eats them like standard tacos, but I roast poblano peppers and stuff the meat inside, topped with salsa and homemade guacamole- adds some of that creaminess back without the cheese.

Oh, I saw another recipe that stuffed meat inside roasted poblano peppers and it looked delicious. How could I get more veggies into the dish though? That's mostly what I'm looking for, I already love my carnitas recipe, I'm just looking for different ways to use the meat.

Thanks for your input!

You could do it like sausage and peppers and make a boat load of sautéed peppers and onions then top with guac. and salsa.  Or you could make your own version of a taco salad.  Also, I had ground bison mixed w/ peppers and topped with sunny side up eggs and guacamole, with ranchero sauce that was really good, you could sub. the bison for carnitas. Emeril has a paleo friendly ranchero sauce recipe on food network.   

I'm finding a nice selection of W30 recipes on onceamonthmeals.com . Go to recipes and select W30 list or search for peachy pulled pork and there was a BBQ sauce recipe too. I'm making it tomorrow. Also good site for monthly meal planning ideas. Just discovered it as I was searching for more w30 recipes.

Every so often my husband will do a large chunk of pulled pork on pit barrell, and I will make a batch of cole slaw. Chopped cabbage, shredded carrots, homemade mayo cut with a bit of apple cider vinegar, salt and pepper, and bit of lemon. Chunks of apple would be good in there also!

Tgipaleo.com recently posted a sugar-free BBQ sauce that I am DYING to try this week. Just be sure your dijon mustard doesn't have white wine in it!

I must try that Carolina-esque one up there too. I love me some Carolina BBQS.

Archived