Stop me from striking a chai latte!!!

em1234

Nooo, you can do it! If you can find a good compliant chai tea that has no sugar at the grocery, get that and prepare it, and make it in a blender with coconut oil or milk. I have seen a lot of people on the forums say that coffee in a blender with coconut oil froths up very like a latte (full disclosure: I haven't tried it).

You could also get some plain black tea, and add the spices that are usually chai spices - cinnamon, cardamon, clove, nutmeg, ginger - and blend THAT all up with coconut oil. (I think I just made myself want that, actually.)

One the whole30 program guidelines page, Melissa (I think) wrote:

"It is not hard. Don't you dare tell us this is hard. Beating cancer is hard. Birthing a baby is hard. Losing a parent is hard. Drinking your coffee black. Is. Not. Hard. You've done harder things than this "

And you have done many things harder than drinking tea instead of a chai latte. You've done many things harder than eating food that fuels your health instead eating something sugary. 

Think on those things--the things you've accomplished, survived, overcome, lived through....the things that were so hard you truly thought you couldn't go on, or wondered how you'd make it. Well, you did. You're here now. You did those things that were WAY harder than skipping a latté.

Onwards and upwards!

Thanks y'all! I DID NOT have the latte - you are right. They are way, way harder things than drinking a cup of tea.  I had the tea, and some celery with nut butter.  This challenge is really helping me identify my cravings for what they are. Thanks for the support!

Just checking in here to say that this morning I did have some plain black tea, threw it in my ninja blender with cinnamon, nutmeg, cayenne pepper (I like spicy chai), and coconut butter, and it for real foams up just like a latte. Layer of foam on top and everything, but no sugar!

Thank you for asking this question, because I actually had wanted to try and find an unsweetened chai for a while, and it is SO HARD. Trader Joe's used to carry one, but it was discontinued (at least down here) because of course we can't possibly not have a metric boat-ton of sugar in everything, and it wouldn't be compatible for my Whole 30 anyway due to the dairy.

Next time I do this I'm adding ginger. :D

Thanks for letting me know - I am going to try that!! I miss my chai latte the most of anything! I know -- not only is it super hard to find an unsweetened version, but even the "no sugar" version that you can find in the grocery store is loaded with artificial sweeteners, so it's out.  Plus it never tasted like the real thing when I tried it before my whole30.  Looking forward to trying your trick!!

Hmm I don't know, I'm sort of thinking that if you're missing your latte this much, it's important to go the 30 (or more) days without to retrain your brain that yes - you can live without lattes and life is just fine - rather than trying to find a substitute to satisfy the craving. The substitutes (while they may be good) seem very SWYPO to me. Context matters here, IMO.

I think as others have said, just stay strong.  The cravings do get easier.  I started craving things that I have never eaten or haven't had in years! Years!  It is your brain trying to cause you to be bad. It's not worth it.  I wouldn't even substitute something just out of spite to tell your brain you are the boss! 

I've been making coconut chai latte at home (from Mickey Trescott's cookbook).  Throw ginger, cinnamon, dates and boiling water into a blender with coconut flakes. Strain through cheesecloth, and voila!  It's what I drink at the end of the day and tastes better than anything I've ever had at Starbucks, and probably about $5 cheaper too!

Archived