Advice for a chef

Ess

I'm starting my first Whole30 on August 1st. I'm a chef in an Italian restaurant and obviously that presents some challenges as far as having non-program food not only staring me in the face all day but also having to cook and even taste dishes. I was wondering if there are any chefs out there who faced these particular challenges and if you have any specific advice on how you dealt with them. Thanks! Steve

Gosh that will be a challenge. I bite peas & pasta that I am cooking for the rest of the family to check if they're done but I spit them out (if my husband saw me doingt his I'm sure he'd thinkI was crazy!)

best of luck figuring out a solution.

Yes, it may seem odd...but just because you taste it...do you have to swallow it? You may need a spittoon.

Testing for doneness can be done with your fingers.

Hope you can figure this out because it sure will be a challenge.

One of my really good friends is a professional chef at an Italian restaurant as well. He was doing a 21 day sugar detox, so I asked him how it was working for him with needing to taste things. He said he had a trusted co-worker taste for him. I don't think the health department would approve of the spitting, unless you were doing so directly into a trash can. You can't leave a spittoon sitting on the line. Gross.

Thank you for your responses. No, spitting definitely not an option. And I would have a hard time serving food that I'm not 100% positive is spot on. It all probably just comes down to will power but I'd still like any advice anyone has.

• 1 month later...

Not sure if you figured a way out but I am new to whole30 and am also a professional chef. Luckily for me I make us do "line-up" or "tasters" to make sure seasoning is on and spit out afterwards, especially when I am not eating carbs. Though I am not on a whole30 yet I am not sure if this is compliant. Luckily also I am not on the line at night, if at all possible I believe spitting would be the best option but too hard if you are on the line and really want quality control especially when it comes to pasta. I plan to make sure my sous chef is on task when I am doing my whole30. Good luck lady, I guess think of all the years of damage we have done in the kitchens with the butter, oil and late night scarfing of whatever is around.

Archived