Day 4--NOTHING is edible at work.

bunnywalker

First shift since I started Whole 30, and thank God I packed a lunch!  Our restaurant hasn't even one thing I can eat while conscientiously staying within the Whole 30 guidelines.  On the plus side, I only had one fleeting thought about smoking, because I was so busy reading the labels and horrifying myself.  Another interesting thing I noticed today is as I was logging on MyFitnessPal (I know, I know, we're not supposed to--I disagree, I think it's a worthwhile habit, and it gives me perspective on why I sometimes need a snack, not enough fat, not enough protein etc...) is that I was NOT eating as healthfully as I have been acting like I do.  Weird that I didn't see it before....but when I was trying to multicheck items from my "frequently eaten" list not many of the things I ate today came up.  An alarming number of grain products and cheese foods were readily available.

I must say, at Day 4, I am already feeling very good.  Energy consistent, no slumps, sharp focus, great mood.

• Moderators

So, my experience over 4 years working with 1000 people making the transition to healthy eating through the Whole30 is not enough to persuade you that monitoring your diet in My Fitness Pal is something you should not do? Alright. Proceed at your own risk. 

I think it's a worthwhile habit, and it gives me perspective on why I sometimes need a snack, not enough fat, not enough protein etc...

Ok, then I'll offer another perspective. I was a calorie counter. FOR YEARS. I logged every bite that went into my mouth. I had a food scale and I weighed each portion of protein and each portion of nuts (and everything else) and I dutifully entered my exercise and carefully considered how intense it was with my HR readings and so on. I had years of data on a rolling spreadsheet that should have predicted every single pound of body weight shift. and you know what? It didn't. I didn't have a problem with compliance and I did lose some weight while tracking, it just didn't happen as predicted on the spreadsheet and it came right back if I wasn't carefully tracking my meals.

One of many beautiful and amazing things about the human body it it's ability to self-regulate weight. If you provide yourself with ALL the nutrition, and healthy activity levels and sufficient rest, and deal with the stressors in your life WITHOUT distracting your system with inflammitory foods, etc. Your own body's hunger and satiety signals will come into focus and tell you how much to eat. They will provide balance for you by reducing hunger at times and increasing it at others. One day you will crave more fat and one day you will crave more carbs and it is all good. My Fitness Pal has NO CHANCE of being as accurate. All it does is makes you question your own body's signals and that, to me, is madness.

The 50lbs I've lost doing whole30 feel different than the lbs I lost counting calories. I am starting to trust my body to actually do this and it is really incredibly liberating.

I am not a moderator, but I wanted to chime in here just to say that it has been really, really difficult for me mentally not to do this. Every program I've ever done has relied heavily on calorie-counting and food logging, and it has been much harder for me not to do it than it has been for me to resist any of the foods that are off-plan. Many times I have looked at myself in the mirror and desperately wanted to pop on the scale, or I have looked at a meal that seems to be SO MUCH FOOD and desperately wanted to calculate the calories in it "just to make sure I'm not eating too much." I have yielded to that temptation twice, once on the scale and once in calculating the calories in a meal.

It added stress. It made me realize how much doing those things stressed me out and caused me to spend many more hours planning and plating meals than I would if I just followed the meal template and ate naturally. I was taking up to a full hour just to pack my lunch, because I was spending so much time counting points, or calories, or macros. A full hour, just on one meal!!!

If you try it for the 30 days and it adds more stress for you to NOT log, you can go back to it! One of the things I love the most about this program is that you can reintroduce whatever works for you after 30 days; all they are asking is that you use the rules - all of them - for thirty days to set a zero baseline from which to test what works for you. You just have to evaluate it from a zero basis, to be SURE that it isn't a "I'm not addicted, I can quit any time I want." Maybe you can! Prove to yourself you can! Then if you decide it really isn't causing you any stress and you really feel it's worthwhile after stepping back, you can go back to it because it works for you.

That's my story!

Archived