First Whole 30, 2 years Paleo

paleokat

I am on DAY 7 of my first W30! I don't know why it took me this long to see that I could log my Whole 30 here.  I always share what I've eaten with my sis every day (she is doing a Whole 30 too), but it makes me feel even more accountable logging it here.  I have been eating Paleo for almost 2 years now.  When not on a W30, I stick pretty closely to the Paleo diet - but have 90% dark chocolate daily, drink wine 2-3 times a week, eat grass-fed dairy occasionally, and have "treats" pretty regularly.  I decided it was time to clean it up and see what changes occur for me when doing a W30.  I have consistently had some skin issues, including rosacea and granuloma annulare.  Here's hoping my squeaky clean eating resolves some of those issues as well.

I generally get 7-8 hours of sleep per night, and exercise several times a week.  Currently, I am doing a 30 minute strength workout 3x per week, running (I have a 5k in March) 2x a week, and attending a group fitness cardio class (my favorite) 2x a week.  This has been a typical workout schedule for me for 3 years, give or take.

Soooo, I will start with yesterday's food and add on later for today.

M1: 3 egg scramble with spinach and mushrooms cooked in coconut oil

PWO: RX bar, a few cashews and coconut flakes

M2: 3 slices grass fed roast beef (cooked earlier in the week), veggies roasted in lard (homemade), sweet potato

Snack:  a few plantain chips with almond butter

M3: 2 small grass fed burgers, broccoli slaw with homemade mayo, zucchini slices dredged in egg & almond flour, and cooked in lard

This morning, I had 2 poached eggs, sweet potato fried in lard, and some left over zucchini slices.

I quit coffee 4 months ago, and drink tea daily - I vary the kind, but right now I'm on Yogi kombucha tea, with a tablespoon of coconut milk.

Looking forward to feedback, if anyone has any!

Things look good overall.

The PWO: is that pre or post workout? Pre workout snack should be protein and optional fat. Post wo should be protein and carb. No fruit in either (not sure if your RxBar contained fruit).

On the plantain chips/almond butter snack, snacks should be a mini meal including a protein and fat. Nuts/nut butters are considered a fat source on a Whole30.

The need for a snack can indicate that your  portion size at earlier meals need to be larger, so play around with those.

• Moderators

The composition of your meals look good.

The RX bar, cashews, and coconut flakes would be an awful post-workout meal because they are high in fat. You want little or no fat after a workout because fat slows digestion. The point of a post-workout meal is to feed hungry muscles during the brief window of 20-30 minutes after working out that they are especially open to protein. 

Fat is okay before a workout, but RX bars should not be anything you eat regularly during a Whole30. They make good emergency food, but should not be part of your planned nutrition. An RX bar is a shadow of the benefit from a palm-size portion of roasted chicken breast or tuna packed in water. 

As Chris noted, if you are eating snacks, that is a good signal you need to increase the size of your meals so that you don't feel hungry between them.

Things look good overall.

The PWO: is that pre or post workout? Pre workout snack should be protein and optional fat. Post wo should be protein and carb. No fruit in either (not sure if your RxBar contained fruit).

On the plantain chips/almond butter snack, snacks should be a mini meal including a protein and fat. Nuts/nut butters are considered a fat source on a Whole30.

The need for a snack can indicate that your  portion size at earlier meals need to be larger, so play around with those.

Thanks - this is exactly what I need!  I always get myself confused about pre/post workout snacks.  I will bring sweet potato and chicken next time!

I have always needed a mini meal between my "lunch" and "dinner" because I eat so early (I'm a teacher, and there is only one (very short) time in the day that I have to eat - I eat as much as I can at this time, but it will not get me the 5+ hours to dinner without needed something in the meantime.  I did better with this yesterday, having a roast beef "reuben" roll up instead.  

Thanks again for your feedback.

The composition of your meals look good.

The RX bar, cashews, and coconut flakes would be an awful post-workout meal because they are high in fat. You want little or no fat after a workout because fat slows digestion. The point of a post-workout meal is to feed hungry muscles during the brief window of 20-30 minutes after working out that they are especially open to protein. 

Fat is okay before a workout, but RX bars should not be anything you eat regularly during a Whole30. They make good emergency food, but should not be part of your planned nutrition. An RX bar is a shadow of the benefit from a palm-size portion of roasted chicken breast or tuna packed in water. 

As Chris noted, if you are eating snacks, that is a good signal you need to increase the size of your meals so that you don't feel hungry between them.

Thanks for your feedback, also, Tom.  I will clean both of these up this week!  I have always brought a protein smoothie for post workout, and obviously am not doing that this month.  I will bring some real food and eat that.

Days 7 and 8 went well, and I'm on to day 9!  I'm planning to clean up the post-workout meal.  and really try to keep to the 3 big meals of the day.

Yesterday:

M1 - 1 sweet potato cooked in lard, 2 poached eggs, veggies roasted in coconut oil; green tea with coconut milk

M2 - homemade chicken "noodle" soup (the noodles were a scrambled egg) made with bone broth, 1 roast beef "reuben" roll-up (Well Fed)

Snack - another roast beef roll up

M3 - Wild salmon, sauteed collard greens, zucchini that had a bit of almond flour, cooked in lard, and a salad with Russian dressing from Well Fed.  I also made a mustard/mayo sauce for the salmon.  

My workout was a strength workout, and I did that right when I got up in the morning.

Today - started the day with 3 soft boiled eggs, collard greens with evoo, and a small sweet potato.

I'm on day 10!  It's going well.

Yesterday, as I said, started with eggs, collard greens and sweet potato.

M2 was spinach, a can of wild salmon mixed with mayo, and a few olives, then a few pieces of homemade "jello" - Great Lakes gelatin, pineapple juice, and coconut milk.  I didn't have enough time to finish my lunch, so I finished it at 3:30 when school ended.  I had eaten 90% of it, but just ran out of time.

M3 was meatloaf made with grass fed beef and pastured ground pork, and a salad with mayo as the dressing. 

Then I went to my workout, which was 35 min. of strength and 55 min. of "Club Cardio".  I ate sweet potato and more meatloaf directly afterwards.

Since I am re-thinking the whole PWO food thing, here is a question.  On Saturdays, I typically go to my gym from 8-10.  I do a 20 minute kickboxing class, a 35 min. strength class (low weight/high rep), and the Club Cardio class.  I really enjoy this and look forward to it every week, though I know from my own research that it's not necessarily the best to do so much.  But I do it, and enjoy it, and don't plan on stopping any time soon.  SO my question is, what should I eat after strength and before cardio that is quick and not too heavy in my stomach?  Or should I avoid eating then and wait till the end, then eat sweet potato and protein?  I've always been confused with this, so resorted to bringing smoothies that I can have some of before Cardio and finish at the end.  Thoughts???

Those "breaded" zucchini sound deeeelicious. I am certainly going to try!

Are you hungry in between your strength and cardio sessions? Once upon a time, when I had a gym membership, I'd do a strength class followed immediately by Zumba. Each were a full hour.

As fat as I was concerned, the Zumba class was still using those muscles, so I wasn't worried about shoving protein in my face until after. I also hate eating within a half hour before a workout. Anything but copious amounts of water just feels like lead.

I'd be interested to hear if I'd been doing it all wrong, because I'm planning an at home workout that follows the same idea (strength followed immediately by cardio).

Your food sounds great! Though be careful with the jello. My brain would instantly decide it's treat food and I'd become obsessed. My brain hates me.

• Moderators

I'm on day 10!  It's going well.

Yesterday, as I said, started with eggs, collard greens and sweet potato.

M2 was spinach, a can of wild salmon mixed with mayo, and a few olives, then a few pieces of homemade "jello" - Great Lakes gelatin, pineapple juice, and coconut milk.  I didn't have enough time to finish my lunch, so I finished it at 3:30 when school ended.  I had eaten 90% of it, but just ran out of time.

M3 was meatloaf made with grass fed beef and pastured ground pork, and a salad with mayo as the dressing. 

Then I went to my workout, which was 35 min. of strength and 55 min. of "Club Cardio".  I ate sweet potato and more meatloaf directly afterwards.

Since I am re-thinking the whole PWO food thing, here is a question.  On Saturdays, I typically go to my gym from 8-10.  I do a 20 minute kickboxing class, a 35 min. strength class (low weight/high rep), and the Club Cardio class.  I really enjoy this and look forward to it every week, though I know from my own research that it's not necessarily the best to do so much.  But I do it, and enjoy it, and don't plan on stopping any time soon.  SO my question is, what should I eat after strength and before cardio that is quick and not too heavy in my stomach?  Or should I avoid eating then and wait till the end, then eat sweet potato and protein?  I've always been confused with this, so resorted to bringing smoothies that I can have some of before Cardio and finish at the end.  Thoughts???

I'm not thrilled about the homemade jello. Yes the ingredients are okay, but your jello is mostly sugar and fat. However, knowing the quality of your meals overall, I won't object. My fear is that someone who is not eating as well as you overall gets the idea that Paleo jello is a good idea. 

I think that if you feel hungry during a two hour training session, you needed to eat more before the session started. So rather than planning for what you might eat during the period, just make sure that you eat enough before starting so that you are comfortable going the distance. I used to take two aerobics classes back-to-back years ago, then lift weights for a few minutes and run around the indoor track at the gym as my workout, so I know it is possible to go hours without refueling. Just be sure to keep drinking water. Your body stores more energy than you can burn in a full day of exercise. 

Day 11!

Thanks for the feedback.  I think of the gelatin as more of a supplement (gelatin) than anything else, and definitely do not eat a lot at once. It's not a "can't stop" food for me at all.  But I totally agree- it's sugar and fat and could be dangerous for some!

I also appreciate the advice on workout eating.  I think I will try eating a bigger breakfast right before I leave and then having a PWO snack of sweet potato and protein once I've finished the whole 2 hours.  

Here's yesterday's food:

M1 - 3 eggs scrambled in coconut oil with roasted veggies (eggplant, zucchini, yellow squash, orange peppers in coconut oil), green tea with coconut milk

M2 - Leftover meatloaf with 1/2 sweet potato, broccoli cole slaw with some mayo, a couple pieces of gelatin, and a banana.

M3 - Shrimp scampi (Well Fed), Roasted cabbage, sauteed collard greens.  I used evoo on the cabbage and greens.  Also had a few bites of some grass fed roast beef.

I feel great - haven't had the amazing nights of sleep I'm hoping for yet, but that is coming, I'm sure!

Those "breaded" zucchini sound deeeelicious. I am certainly going to try!

Are you hungry in between your strength and cardio sessions? Once upon a time, when I had a gym membership, I'd do a strength class followed immediately by Zumba. Each were a full hour.

As fat as I was concerned, the Zumba class was still using those muscles, so I wasn't worried about shoving protein in my face until after. I also hate eating within a half hour before a workout. Anything but copious amounts of water just feels like lead.

I'd be interested to hear if I'd been doing it all wrong, because I'm planning an at home workout that follows the same idea (strength followed immediately by cardio).

Your food sounds great! Though be careful with the jello. My brain would instantly decide it's treat food and I'd become obsessed. My brain hates me.

Thanks for your ideas!!  That's exactly what I'm doing - strength then Zumba-ish type thing (it used to be called Zumba, but she has changed it to Club Cardio).  I am going to wait till the end to eat now.  The food absolutely feels like lead mid-workout!

Day 12!  One thing I keep thinking to myself as I look forward to my next meal is, "I LOVE food!  Healthy, real, nutrient-dense food."  Since I've been eating paleo already, I already had lots of ideas for what to eat during my Whole 30 - not that different from what I normally eat.  But taking out the treats and chocolate has helped me to really see how much I love the flavors of the actual meals - not just as a vehicle to get me to the chocolate.

Here's yesterday:

M1 - 3 pastured eggs scrambled in coconut oil with roasted peppers and zucchini/yellow squash in c.o.

M2 - 1 avocado, 2 roast beef roll ups with sauerkraut and russian dressing from WF, roasted cabbage and a few more veggies

M3 - I was STARVING by the time I was able to cook dinner, so in the meantime I did have 1/2 an RX bar.  Then I had 1 shredded sweet potato cooked in lard, 1 grass fed burger, and the rest of my cabbage/veggies.

In the morning I did my strength routine (mostly body weight based).  This morning, I got up and ran 3 miles.

Looking forward to a fantastic long weekend!

I'm almost 2 weeks in!  Can't quite believe it.  It's going really well.  One great thing is that I wake up feeling GREAT!  

Yesterday's food - 

M1 - 1/2 sweet potato, spinach, and 3 eggs

Iced decaf coffee with coconut milk

M2 - 1 grass fed burger, veggies, cabbage, 2 squares gelatin

M3 - More burger with broccoli slaw/mayo (This was an added meal due to early morning workout and late dinner plans)

M4 - Spaghetti Pizza pie- http://paleomg.com/almost-5-ingredient-pizza-spaghetti-pie/   This is AMAZING.  SO good.  I had a lot of it.  And Kale chips

Sparkling water.

Today:

M1 - 3 eggs, spinach, mushrooms, coconut oil

PWO - crumbled 1/2 burger, 1/2 sweet potato, homemade ketchup

M2 - Spaghetti pie, banana

Snack - apple with almond butter

M3 - 1/2 a burger, more spaghetti pie, veggies roasted in co and lard

Feeling good about the food.  Tomorrow I will make more mayo, ketchup, shrimp/avocado salad from The Paleo Mom, Not sure what else yet, but there's sure to be more!

Day 14!  Wow, almost 1/2 way through my first Whole 30.

Yesterday, I waited allll day to finally get on my treadmill at 7:00 and run 2.5 miles.  Should've done it earlier - I wanted to get in 3.5 but the kids had to be put to bed.

M1 - parsnips cooked in lard, 3 poached eggs, collard greens with evoo, black tea w/coconut milk

M2 - Last of spaghetti pizza pie, roasted veggies (co), some gelatin

M3 - Shrimp and avocado salad (the paleo mom), cilantro caulirice (Practical Paleo) This was soooo incredibly good!  Can't wait for leftovers!, Kale chips with evoo

I made mayo yesterday but didn't get to the ketchup.  I cooked up another spaghetti squash to make the spaghetti pizza pie again for the family later this week.  Today, I'll have a pork butt in the crock pot for a couple of recipes with pulled pork.  

My 15th day included my first "out to eat" experience.  Luckily, I got to pick the restaurant.  The selection wasn't great, but I ended up choosing Chipotle, and ordering what I saw when I googled "Chipotle Whole 30".

M1 - 3 poached eggs, fried parsnips, collard greens, tea with coconut milk

M2 - Chipotle - salad (lettuce) with carnitas, mild salsa, and double guacamole (woah - they gave me so much guac I gave 1/2 to my MIL)

M3 - RX bar.  Not the best, but I was hungry pretty soon after the Chipotle meal and still on the road.

M4 - Pulled Pork with sweet potato mash, broccoli, salad with mayo for dressing

A little while after dinner I ran 2.5 on the treadmill.

I can add today, too since I'm done eating for the day.

Day 16:

M1 - 3 eggs scrambled with spinach and mushrooms in co.  Tea with coconut milk

M2 - Lettuce with shrimp avocado cilantro from Sunday, caulirice

M3 - mini meal - I was STARVING when I got home from school at 4 so I had the rest of the caulirice (1/4 cup), a bit of pulled pork, and a bit of vegetables

M4 - Spaghetti pizza pie (the kids ate it too!), kale chips, gelatin

I was supposed to do strength/club cardio tonight, but hubby got called into work.  I think instead I will do a workout tomorrow morning, my usual day off.  I might also do the strength/cardio classes on Thursday night as a replacement for tonight.

I'm guessing you were hungry after the Chipotle meal because it looked light on veggies. With your level of activity, may want to shoot for the high end of the template, meaning 2 palms of protein and 3 cups of veggies per meal.

I would be so much happier with Chipotle if they cooked their fajita veggies in compliant oil. When I'm not W30ing, I typically get double meat, veggies and salsa. Mmm. It's already above and beyond better than many options fo eating out though on program. I've had luck at Panera, but only by subbing and swapping a number of things to basically create my own salad.

I would be so much happier with Chipotle if they cooked their fajita veggies in compliant oil. When I'm not W30ing, I typically get double meat, veggies and salsa. Mmm. It's already above and beyond better than many options fo eating out though on program. I've had luck at Panera, but only by subbing and swapping a number of things to basically create my own salad.

Panera is tricky to eat Whole30 compliant. Even on their "hidden menu" there is sugar in the chicken seasoning, the egg breakfast bowl with steak has wheat starch.  See for yourself: http://paneranutrition.com

Day 17.  Yes, the Chipotle was good, but certainly not as filling as a normal meal!

Here's today.

5:15am - strength workout (this is a 30 min. workout that is pretty heavy on the cardio too, in intervals)

M1 - 3 eggs scrambled with spinach and mushroom in co, tea with coconut milk

M2 - spaghetti pizza pie with a big bowl of roasted veggies (co)

M3 - More of the roasted veggies with pulled pork piled on top

M4 - 3 more eggs (I love eggs), collard greens and shredded sweet potato, both cooked in lard

I'm full!

GFChris, I tore my hair out trying to make a complaint meal there. But both their steak and shrimp are compliant and they have olive oil packets and fresh lemon for dressing. Thanks to that adventure, I discovered that kalamata olives and chilled shrimp are DELICIOUS together. :)

Thanks for the heads up about the breakfast bowl though, I haven't gotten it during my Whole30, but it was my favorite go to breakfast there. Not anymore... adding wheat starch is kiiiiinda gross.

Yesterday was day 18, on to day 19!

Food from yesterday...

M1 - 3 eggs, spinach, coconut oil, tea with coconut milk, a few cashews

M2 - spaghetti pizza pie and broccoli, banana, coconut chips

M3 - chicken thighs, oven baked, 1/2 sweet potato, salad with mayo

Got up and ran 3 miles this morning, and just finished my breakfast - 3 eggs, 1/2 sweet potato, spinach & coconut oil.  I'll have my tea later.

Almost 3 weeks in, and feeling great.  I had something VERY annoying happen yesterday morning!  I already mentioned yesterday's breakfast.  I was picking up coffee for some other teachers at Starbucks in the morning, so I decided to get myself an iced decaf coffee.  I put some coconut milk in my reusable cup, and brought it with me.  I ordered a grande iced coffee "with nothing" and didn't try it till I had poured it into my coconut milk at work.  I took one sip, and knew immediately, it was SWEETENED!  GAH!  I was so mad, and of course, poured the whole thing down the drain.  I was really looking forward to that!  It crossed my mind also, that now I had sugar, on day 19!!!  Not fair.  Anyway, I immediately emailed Starbucks with my complaint, and they're sending me coupons :)

Once I got over that disappointment, the rest of the day was great.

M2 - 7 oz can of tuna in spring water with homemade mayo, apple chunks and sliced almonds, veggies cooked in co.

M3 - Rx Bar

M4 - last of spaghetti pizza pie, some pulled pork, and a salad with mayo

I also had "girls' night", so I brought plantain chips and homemade guacamole.  I ate some of that, and some berries and red and green peppers.  

This morning I'm off to my 2 hour fun at my workout studio.  20 min. of kickboxing, 40 min. of strength, and an hour of "club cardio".  My favorite part of the week.  

Almost 3 weeks in, and feeling great.  I had something VERY annoying happen yesterday morning!  I already mentioned yesterday's breakfast.  I was picking up coffee for some other teachers at Starbucks in the morning, so I decided to get myself an iced decaf coffee.  I put some coconut milk in my reusable cup, and brought it with me.  I ordered a grande iced coffee "with nothing" and didn't try it till I had poured it into my coconut milk at work.  I took one sip, and knew immediately, it was SWEETENED!  GAH!  I was so mad, and of course, poured the whole thing down the drain.  I was really looking forward to that!  It crossed my mind also, that now I had sugar, on day 19!!!  Not fair.  Anyway, I immediately emailed Starbucks with my complaint, and they're sending me coupons :)

Once I got over that disappointment, the rest of the day was great.

M2 - 7 oz can of tuna in spring water with homemade mayo, apple chunks and sliced almonds, veggies cooked in co.

M3 - Rx Bar

M4 - last of spaghetti pizza pie, some pulled pork, and a salad with mayo

I also had "girls' night", so I brought plantain chips and homemade guacamole.  I ate some of that, and some berries and red and green peppers.  

This morning I'm off to my 2 hour fun at my workout studio.  20 min. of kickboxing, 40 min. of strength, and an hour of "club cardio".  My favorite part of the week.  

Don't worry about the sugar as it doesn't constitute a restart as it wasn't purposeful, but you might want to wait an additional 19 days to add sugar back (you can do your other intros) so you get a full 30 sugar free days. I had the same thing happen to me. What I learned is that the default for iced tea and coffee is to add simple sugar so I always very clearly say I want it unsweetened specifically. 

Was your M3 rxbar a post workout or emergency meal?

@Physibeth, thank you for that info.  Good idea on the sugar reintro, though my usual diet contains very little (only some 90% dark chocolate).  I will consider waiting the additional days.  The RX bar was an emergency meal.  I read from Tom Denham that it is not a good post workout meal.  It was a long span of time between lunch and dinner.  

Here's yesterday...

M1 - 3 eggs with spinach and roasted veggies, tea with coconut milk

I then went to my Saturday class as I mentioned yesterday.  

PWO - sweet potato with pulled pork 

M2 - chicken thighs, guacamole, roasted veggies, and some broccoli cole slaw with mayo

M3 - pork/beef meatballs with compliant marinara sauce, salad with olives and homemade creamy italian dressing from WF

Today, I will do a 3 mile run on the treadmill.  I just ate eggs and pulled pork for breakfast, as it's shopping day, and I'm all out of veggies!

Archived