Cheese substitute

mrhug

I have a recipe my wife really loves, but I am trying to make it whole 30 compliant.  Everything will work except it has Parmesan and Mozzarella cheese in it and I am not sure what to use that would be a good substitute.  I will post the recipe after this is answered.

Thanks in advance

At least, if you want something like cheese like on a gratin, you could mix some almond butter with a little bit water and spread that on your gratin. (However I read in the Whole30 Book, heating almond butter is not good) I also like putting almond butter in my meal. You can put it into the meal, when finished cooking. So you can avoid to heating it. It gives your meal a nice creamy texture. However it does taste differently than cheese. So it really depends what qualities you want copy from cheese. 
Also be careful with too much nuts per day, when you use nut butters.

Well, I don't know about that recipe per se, but here's one for paleo spinach & artichoke dip with no cheese:

http://paleospirit.com/2013/spinach-artichoke-dip-paleo-vegan/

The cheese is replaced with cashew cream (raw cashews soaked overnight and then blended until creamy).  That would probably work to replicate the mouthfeel, and it would be compliant (if not strictly in the SPIRIT of the whole30).

Archived