Prepping to start the first Whole 30 with my husband

ARamstead

I've been working with a group on Facebook, reading through "It Starts with Food" and planning to start our Whole 30 together. Tonight, I discussed it with my husband and we decided that, rather than waiting for the group, we want to get going. 

I'm expecting a fairly decent paycheck from a client tomorrow, so we decided that we are going to start as soon as the check arrives so that we can begin with a trip to the grocery and stock the fridge and get off to a great beginning. 

So, if things go well, our Whole 30 begins on Tuesday! 

Is it weird to say that I'm excited?? lol

Hahaha. Love it! I feel excited when I start a W30 too. Well, at least until the first day. And then I think of everything I want that I can't have. Then the bugs in my gut start craving more carbs - especially Cheetos. Ah well...we all have our weaknesses.
Good luck to you. Sounds like your ready. And it's always nice for your partner to be on board too.

My husband and I are on Day 12 of our first Whole 30 and I am so thankful we are doing this. It's not been easy. In fact, that first week, even though I was excited, was especially challenging as our bodies detoxed from all the junk we had been poisoning them with for so long. I doubted my decision to do this several times, but kept pushing forward. (We also have children who weren't as thrilled about these changes to our habits as we were, initially. That constant complaining was really draining! But even they have come around.)

I know that sounds a little like Job's comfort there, but I say all that to get to this point: we kept going, we have been 100% compliant, and I don't regret it at all. Day 12 feels amazing! I have so much more energy all day long, I am not nearly as easily discouraged as I used to be (clearer headed helps so much!), and I am beginning to see how this will be a lifestyle for me. (Honestly, those first few days, all I could think about was how I couldn't wait for it to be over so I could have a Diet Coke and some popcorn! :))

Good luck to you and your husband! I think you'll find your choices to be contageous as well, and that added bonus of support from and for others is energizing as well. Enjoy!

Well, we didn't get to start today as planned (the check didn't get sent out on time, arrgh!), but I have confirmation that it's arriving on Thursday, so we've made plans to go to Whole Foods first thing in the morning and stock up! So Thursday, I'm looking at you!! (And I have enough in the fridge to have eggs and veggies in the morning, so we can start that very same day. :) 

Thank you for the words of encouragement! I'm already feeling a little overwhelmed because friends want to go out on Friday, and we were trying to plan the weekend and the husband was trying to fall back on the old standby of grabbing dinner on the road, so I can already see where the challenges are going to start (and my original reaction was, oh well, wait until Monday then, but no, that'll turn into wait until..... never?). The planning has begun and I just need the darn money so I can get groceries!! lol

How great to be doing this with your spouse! I live alone but eat several meals per week with friends who want to eat out. I had to let them know my new plan and that I'll mostly be cooking at home for now. I made dinner last night for my boyfriend who loves his carbs and deserts. He ate the same dinner I had -emergency meat (sautéed onions, ground beef, and cabbage with curry seasoning) and steamed vegetables and actually liked it! Of course he said it would be even better with pasta! One issue is that he has seen me go on and off of different diets and gets confused about what is off limits. I had been doing Paleo for a few months with no dairy, then allowed myself to have dairy and a few deserts over the holidays. Also wine with dinner as I got on the slippery slope. So he's all confused! Anyway, I let him know that I am strictly eating this way for at least 30 days and need his support. It does help to say that I'm doing this to get my blood sugar under control and prevent diabetes. From past experience, I know he'll forget what I mean by no grains and bring cookies. LOL - all part of the learning and the adventure!

Alright!!! Check is deposited and grocery store has been raided, lol. It was a pricey run, but we are well stocked with really good stuff now. Today is going to be a "prep" day so we can get a bunch of stuff ready and then tomorrow we start full blast. 

Priscilla - I totally know what you mean. I've tried so many different things in the past (including paleo/primal), but I'm hoping this puts an end to that. My poor hubby is the same thing. We were working up the shopping list yesterday, and he was sending me recipes and lists of stuff he wanted to try and it was like, "Oh, yeah, that looks good!" "That's the recipe from the book that we tried last week." "Coconut wraps are a no-go, sorry!" 

I need to hit the forum about kids because mine is pretty resistant to taking anything other than a sandwich to lunch. I think he's coming down with that crummy flu (lysol ALL the things!!!!) so we'll see what happens over the next few days. He won't have any options other than what I cook! lol

All right, Day 1, here we go! 

Breakfast - a scramble of two eggs, homemade chicken sausage, a handful of mushrooms cooked in ghee, 1/2 zucchini sautéed in ghee, cup of Earl Grey tea (struggled a bit this morning without my coffee, hoping I adjust to that pretty quick)

Lunch - 1/4 lb of ground beef (grass fed) cooked in olive oil and garlic, with a can of compliant stewed tomatoes and a handful of raw snap peas 

Dinner - Pad Thai from Well Fed (made the sunshine sauce with raw cashew butter since I couldn't find sugar-free sunflower seed butter). Holy cow, that was really good! Totally hit the spot! I also had another handful of snap peas along with it. 

I'm feeling pretty good right now. The late morning/early afternoon was tough. Might be sugar withdrawal, might be not enough... something... (not sure) at breakfast. I'll have to play with it and see how I feel. So far, so good though.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived