Paleo Pumpkin Oatmeal

TammyLJ

I'm starting tomorrow and have a breakfast that I like to make occasionally. Would this recipe be OK?

1/2 cup coconut milk

1/2 ripe banana, cut into slices

1/4 cup pureed pumpkin

1 egg

pinch of salt

vanilla & pumpkin pie spice, to taste

100% cocoa, small pieces as garnish (optional)

Heat milk, pumpkin and banana in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir continuously until the mixture is well-blended and the banana and pumpkin are thoroughly incorporated.

Crack the egg into the pot and continue to cook and stir. Season with salt, vanilla and pumpkin pie spice. Cook for another couple of minutes, until it's reached your desired consistency.

Remove from heat and place in a bowl, garnishing as desired.

I believe the ingredients would be compliant, but not sure if it complies with the spirit of the Whole30. I am not trying to recreate oatmeal, as it tastes nothing like oatmeal and I rarely eat oatmeal anyway. It is just good!

Personally, it sounds a bit like soup. :)  

Only by itself it's not going to meet the meal template, you'll want a lot more veg and protein in your breakfasts.  Also vanilla extract is generally non-compliant because of the alcohol.

It definitely isn't a stand-alone breakfast and really sounds more like a dessert replacement than anything. If anything, I would double check your vanilla extract like Annabel said (as well as your canned pumpkin and spice mix) and eat it as a small side with your protein and veg.

Archived