Teenagers/Young Kids

orthodoxmom3

Hi.  I'm planning on my whole family participating in a Whole30 during Lent this year.  I'm trying to really study this and have a firm plan in action.  The most important reason we are doing this is for my husband...though I firmly believe we would all benefit.  My 15 year old is really flipping....  he does not want to give up the sweets....  so I'm trying to come up with a compromise.  Only I don't know what it should be.  My husband and I will strictly follow it.  With my son, I'm more on the fence.  I do want him to see that decreasing sugar immensely will immensely have a difference on his ability to foucs, etc.... but I also want to be realistic.  He's 15....  he does not have any huge health problems and he already feels like he sticks out and misses out on a lot of things other kids have/do...  (we already eat a chemical free mostly organic and almost paleo like diet)....   I don't want anyone to tell me to make him do the whole 30...  I want realistic options.  I'm thinking along the lines of letting him have one sweet treat -  low on sugar but still a treat every few days or so....at least once a week....   and allow him to have paleo snacks.... fruit, etc. between meals as well as my toddler.  My toddler is almost 4...   I imagine there's places here about that... I haven't had time to look around too much yet.  I imagine I'll be lurking here and there throughtout the time between now and when we start.... 

Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated.  But please don't lecture and tell me he should follow it 100% -  We are doing this more for my husband and I just want my son to feel a difference, not necessarily yet what going 100% would be...

At fifteen, you're probably not going to be able to make him do it if he doesn't want to. My mom did several insane diets when I was a teen ager and I would eat whatever I wanted when I wasn't home. I can't tell you how many times my lunch came out of a vending machine at school!! It sounds like the big thing with your son is the sugar, so have you tried talking to him about compromising. I think he's old enough to have some say about what he's eating. See if maybe he'll agree to substitute sweets for fruit during the week and on weekends he gets something with sugar? If you talk to him he might agree to more than you think he would, rather than arbitrarily taking everything away with no discussion. :) Ask what he thinks would be a good compromise.

no lectures here! Do what works best for your family. I would suggest you allow snacks for both kids, and make sure to have some good on-plan options available (cut up veggies and fresh fruit, hard boiled eggs, quick proteins, like grass-fed jerky or pre-cooked chicken). If the compromise of one sweet treat per week is important for him you might want to consider limiting it to specific sweeteners (ie. maple syrup or honey vs. high fructose corn syrup) and to make sure it doesn't contain gluten, dairy or soy. Maybe this would be a good time to make something together as a family? That way you wouldn't compromise the 30-days free of these irritants and could find out if any of them are a particular issue for your son.

Would Larabars be acceptable to him?  Then you could choose the compliant flavours and still stay away from the sweeteners.

I'd probably try making it into some sort of contest, where there's some sort of reward at the end for the number of days he went without sugar. Or promise him that he can have all the sweets he wants the day after you finish the Whole 30 if he stays sugar free for the entirety. (and just hope that he won't actually make himself sick on sweets then)

Also, let him help with the meal planning and be sure to include some of his favourites and that might ease some of the feelings of missing out on stuff. I've been letting my husband have loads of bacon, if it keeps him happy and away from the sweets. (He moans a lot about missing his sweets and I just point out that that's probably the sign of an addiction if he can't go for 30 days without them  :) . But I doubt that one would work with a teenager)

I agree with Mary- ask your son what a good compromise would be. That seems the best way of making sure that he doesn't just eat loads of rubbish as soon as he leaves your house in the morning.

At 15 he's basically an adult: if it were me, I wouldn't even suggest he did the W30 unless he decided he wanted to. Tell him you are doing it, and why, and what it involves, and then let him make his own choices. Yes, there is the food you provide which can and should be W30 if that is what you are doing, but the rest of it is up to him. (Surely he has some control over what food and when he can access anyway?) The 4 YO is a different story.

Good luck.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far!  I don't have to worry about school because we homeschool... and he doesn't eat anything other people have anyway because we already avoid artificial ingredients... if he eats them, he'll get sick...he totally gets this...  so I really am in control here...  So....     I like the snack suggestions you have all listed...  he does not like Lara Bars  :(    I LOVE THEM!    I could possibly come up with some paleo food that he does like and make that weekly...  He doesn't complain about the food I make- he just misses me making the pastas, etc.  Don't even suggest zucchini noodles...haha...  My husband and I love them... not the boy;) 

I really like the idea of the contest or 'prize'....   I have to think on that..  and hopefully he will sit down with me and make a list of at least mostly paleo foods he'd be willing to have as snacks most of the time.  I also like the idea of letting him have some sweeteners, just not actually white sugar.

I just worry about my dh too...  if there's something there...even hidden in the cupboard...he caves easily :(   I really want him to try this 100%.  It will be hard for me too....  I can't imagine going 30 days without my chocolate.

Bacon-wrapped dates are sweet but filling enough that you can't eat THAT much sugar out of them relatively speaking. I'm a fan of strawberry/cranberry sauce (use apple juice to sweeten the cranberries, then add chopped frozen strawberries to the mix and let them melt) as a "sweet treat" for me (well, it's a tradition at Thanksgiving/Christmas). Homemade applesauce...you really can't tell that there's no sugar added. I have a recipe I can get for you with butternut squash, apples, balsamic vinegar, nuts, and a bit of honey (can leave out or sub fruit juice, I'm sure) that is amazing. 

Hmmm, what else...for kids, a lot of people do relax the SWYPO rules and do paleo-ified foods for them. That way it FEELS like you're getting something that you aren't supposed to have. So maybe almond or coconut flour muffins/cookies? Put dried fruit in them and nuts? 

Mrs. Stick -  I'd love a recipe for the strawberry/cranberry sauce and the butternut squash....   great idea about the applesauce... I can make it in my vitamix lickety split and I always forget about that!

Semolina - I'll think on that....it would have to be very occasional.  I don't want it in the house and I don't want him using up his daytime hours when he should be doing school.  Of course, with eliminating most sugars, I'm hoping he'll be able to focus better and not have completing school work be the issue that it is now :)  I am thinking of letting him have his breakfast favorite on Saturdays (sugary cereal or organic waffles) and I did say I'd make him gluten free pancakes one time a week with very limited amount of m syrup.

I am thinking of letting him have his breakfast favorite on Saturdays (sugary cereal or organic waffles).

Are you hoping to do re-introductions and testing food in tolerances with your son? If so, then this won't work. It really does take 30 days for your system to be clear of gluten (for some people even longer, actually), so having it weekly negates that benefit. Making him gluten-free pancakes occasionally would be less of an issue, at least for this aspect of the program.

Strawberry/cranberry sauce is super simple. Fresh or frozen berries, and apple juice. I think I used 2 packs (24 oz?) of fresh berries and boiled them in apple juice. I tasted them when the berries had all popped, and added more apple juice (and re-boiled off the liquid, and re-tasted, etc.) until I didn't make a horrible face from the sourness. I dumped 8 oz of frozen strawberries into my food processor and chopped into chunks, then mixed it into the warm sauce. Let the berries melt, and it's a sweet enough mixture, and if he's really super picky you can always add a touch of honey to help sweeten it up more.

For the Butternut Squash/Apples (I'm laughing that this is out of a Pillsbury cookbook for Thanksgiving right now...):

Heat oven to 375. Put 2 tbsp ghee/coconut oil in a 13x9 baking dish; heat in oven until melted. Stir 1/2 tsp cinnamon and 1/4 tsp nutmeg into melted butter. Add 1.5 lb butternut squash (peeled, seeded, cut into .5 inch cubes); toss to coat. Cover with foil and bake 20 minutes. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, mix 2-3 large Granny Smith apples (cored, cut into .5 inch cubes), 1/4 cup maple syrup (should be able to leave out; alternatively, can add some juice or juice with a date pureed into it), and 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar. Pour apple mixture over squash. Cover, bake 10 minutes. Stir, bake 5 to 10 minutes longer or until squash is tender. Stir before serving and sprinkle with 1/4 cup chopped toasted pecans (optional).

I'm kind of in the same boat, so this thread is helpful. I'm dealing with a 13 year old who has a pretty vicious sugar addiction. He's also on the autism spectrum. I want so much to try out an elimination diet to see if getting rid of sugar, gluten, or dairy would help his symptoms, but he absolutely refuses to cooperate. I can at least keep it out of the house (he will literally sneak a jar of honey into the bathroom and drink it - gross!!), but he still finds it at school and the grandparents happily keep him supplied no matter what I say. 

I like the idea of creating a list of paleo snacks and having him point out what he'll eat. 

Archived