Started Whole 30 July 22nd

faithb63

Hi Everyone!

I started the Whole 30 this past Sunday on July 22nd. I just could not wait until August 1st. I have had a couple tough days cleaning out my system but on the whole it has been okay. We have been eating mostly gluten-free since last September, which has been great for me.I noticed a huge difference just dropping the gluten. So, I am looking forward to the added benefits of the Whole 30.

I have really appreciated all the insight, inspiration, and help that It Starts with Food gives. The meal map and appendix are wonderful. I like the way it is set and makes everything so simple. I have also enjoyed using several of the recipes from different websites like The Foodee. I have cooked and eaten Kale for the first time and loved it. I have also used several recipes from Paleo Comfort Foods Cookbook and Well Fed.

I just had all my blood work done. So, I am looking forward to comparing the results in a few months. I am diabetic and just going gluten free and striving for Paleo have reduced my blood sugar and A1C so much already.

I am looking forward to getting to know others and having the support of this forum. :rolleyes:

Hi Faithb63,

I started this Sunday too! I am also previously gluten free (for 2 years) and felt way better without it. I am extremely tired, daily headaches and just generally blah. Are you having the same experience? Just wondering.

Nikol

Faith,

Last night I miraculously started feeling better :). I still feel super tired though. I've been reading through comments and it seems most people are saying it helps to eat more, although I can't possibly see how I can eat more. That's really great about your blood sugar. I tried to get my diabetic husband to jump on board, but he wouldn't. I'm hoping after he sees my results he might try. I should use his meter and see what is happening with my blood sugar when I feel the worst. Hope everything is going well for you.

Nikol

Hi Nikol,

I am glad to hear you are feeling better. I also read your original post and was able to see a little more of your story. I am sorry you have had so many gastro issues. I felt worse last year when I quit eating gluten. My thoughts are that when we stop eating all that crap we are like an addict or alcoholic that stops drugs or drinking. We are no different except that our drug is sugar and unhealthy carbs. The longer we are off the carbs and sugar the better we feel. I am on day 6 and feeling pretty good. I try to keep at the fore front of my mind how bad I feel when I eat the things that are not healthy for me. I am feeling so much better just after 6 days. I am moving more and easier, sleeping better, and not having night sweats. The first couple of days I had cravings, some angry moments, did not sleep so great, etc. However, now I am feeling so much better. I am also having a blast cooking and have made some great recipes. Check out the www.thefoodee.com they have great recipes. I have made the Cumin Spiced Tilapia, Chicken and Kale Curry, and Avacado Burgers. We loved all of them.

Hang in there lady and hope you get to feeling better and better every day!! :D

Faith

Faith,

Hey, I'm feeling so much better too. I haven't had to take ANY of my gastro meds since I began. I can even eat salads again! It is so amazing to me how connected food is to everything. I asked my doctor about this before I started and she said it was "bunk" and that my condition was a lifelong condition that would require meds forever. I cannot wait for my 6 week checkup (just a couple days after day 30) because I can already tell that I am losing a few pounds and I have not had any pain since starting. I will check out that recipe site, thanks for the recommendation. I have been reading nomnompaleo.com (she has some good recipes too). I hope you keep posting, I will follow your progress as well.

Hugs,

Nikol

Hi Nikol,

I am so glad you are feeling better. I definitely think Whole 30 does help clear up stomach issues. I have not had one issue with my digestion since a few days in. We feel like we have been eating gourmet foods because we have tried so many different things. I will check out nomnom thanks. I am feeling tired today. It was so funny last night we were having dinner and suddenly my throat started hurting. It hurt so bad I had to stop eating. It feels a little better today but still hurts. It feels glandular. So, I am not sure what caused it. We were having steak, sweet potatoes, and brussels.

Anyway, good to hear from you. Stay well.

Faith

Hi Stacey,

I am feeling great - thank you! I was just writing in my log how amazing I feel. My blood pressure and blood sugar have both decreased dramatically since I started Whole 30. I am also over that bug I had.

How are you doing? And, congratulations on Day 16! :rolleyes:

Doing good! Working on breaking habits.

Today was the kids first day of school and normally after making their lunches I would lick the knife (peanut butter or jam).

I didn't! However, the urge to do so was so automatic. Just trying to re-program the brain.

Awesome news about your blood pressure/sugar!!!

Thanks for the support! I checked it last night after dinner just for the heck of it - 84 - I was so shocked and happy. I will be off of these meds soon.

That is great Stacey! Old habits are hard to break - I know I have recently broken a good number of them :wacko: . Good luck!

Congrats on not licking the knife - I know that was hard. It is tough when you have to fix different food for others. I am so thankful that I do not have that problem. My significant other is on this as well and we are both doing great.

Have a wonderful day! B)

Faith,

Is your blood pressure still down? I hadn't even thought of that as a benefit. I'd love to have mine plummet. I am getting more and more excited about my next doctors visit (never thought I'd say that). If my blood pressure were down without meds I could really show her! She said this was all bunk, so I can't wait to show her weight loss, no meds for 4 weeks, etc. This is awesome and its not even as hard as I thought. Are you going to do the reintroduction week? I'm debating. I haven't had gluten for 3 or 4 years.....I just don't know if I dare to try it.

Nikol

Hi Nikol,

Yes, my blood pressure keeps decreasing. I started at around 144/77 and now most days it is around 105/60. My blood sugar has also fallen drastically. I started at about a fasting blood sugar of 135 and I have had readings between 85 and 100 now - Amazing. I cannot believe your doctor said this was bunk. My doctor has been very supportive. They are having me send my blood pressure readings and blood sugar readings to them weekly. This last week when I sent them in they were shocked at my progress. They will probably be putting all of their patience on Whole 30 soon - lol.

I understand your hesitancy about reintroduction. I took am nervous about that. I am on day 20 and already I am ready to do this for the rest of my life. I am curious about how my body will react to dairy and sugar though. I am going 40 days because we joined the August Whole 30. We plan to try dairy on day 41, then go right back until late September. I will let you know how it goes. I keep thinking in my mind though - maybe I shouldn't try anything. I do have fear that if I get a taste for it I will want it again. So, i understand what you mean.

Wow, that is amazing that you have not had gluten for over 3 years. That would really make you nervous about reintroducing it. I don't think we have to reintroduce. That is a good question for a moderator. Maybe they will see this and share some wisdom.

We will talk again soon! Congrats on your success so far.

Take care,

Faith

Hi Nikol,

Okay, I went back and read the section about re-entry again. You do not have to reintroduce anything that you feel comfortable living without. So, if you do not want to reintroduce gluten you do not need to. It was all so much to take in the first time. So, I am going to read it all again.

Thought you would like to know.

Faith

Archived