How many meals in one whole chicken?

Guest Wheat on Trial

Guest Wheat on Trial

Hi there - my husband and I are starting our first Whole 30 today. I cooked an entire chicken in our slow cooker and it smells heavenly. Not only is it my first whole 30, it's also my first time cooking a whole chicken!

So - my question is - how many meals can I expect to get out of one chicken? Just trying to plan for the week so that we're not "chicken'd out"! I don't plan on doing anything particularly fancy with the chicken, just serving it up with some veggies. Thanks for your help!

A big chicken (~2 kg) will do us six or seven meals: usually two dinners for two (roast first; then in a curry or salad) and then two or three lunches for me (salads). A small chicken (~1kg) will do two dinners for two as above, but only one lunch or so. We usually strip the meat off as soon as it is cool enough to handle, and then you can use the carcass to make a stock as well, if you like. Plain chicken with just veggies might get boring ... there are some nice salads (chicken waldorf salad; coleslaws) that work really well with cooked chicken (one of my faves is just lettuce and tomatoes and shredded chicken dressed with either watered down guacamole (home-made) or a dressing based on mayo, lime juice, smoked paprika and cumin yum yum -- had it with baba ganoush for lunch today!)

Have fun.

It depends on what I'm doing with the chicken. If I eat it as a roast chicken, I get four meals (one per chicken quarter). If I pull the meat and make barbecue chicken or soup or whatever, I get more like six. My chickens are usually around three pounds.

And yes, make broth with the bones! Super easy.

Archived