Grieving for Diet Coke

I had to restart my W30 due to H1N1 issues (I did not have anything prepared and a lot of medicines I was taking weren't compliant) Anyway, so I am on day 7 now, and was feeling a bit of blurred vision and dizziness, so I ate some canned tuna with sea salt per the advice of the forum, and now I am feeling better. Unfortunately, I have this crazy strong craving for diet coke with my lunch. I don't get it. The aspartame is actually kind of gross, but sense I am restricting myself I seriously want it. Whats even crazier is that I did not have this much problem with the diet coke cravings my first go round in August 2012. Is it possible that giving it up and starting it back again has made my habit stronger? Does anyone else have the aspartame blues?

Yes!! Big Time!! I really, REALLY miss diet coke. 

I have been able to cook and watch my husban eat food I can't. Cheese, corn chips, fried things, donuts etc. And I have had no problem. However watching him drink a fizzy diet coke make me so mad I wanted to kick him out of the house.  Anything so addictive has to be bad for you, right? 

I've switched over to club soda with lime or lemon. I buy tiny key limes and slice them sideways, whole  so I have cute little lime rings in my drink.  Or I'll do a bunch of lemon slices. Cucumber and mint are good too. A splash of grapefruit juice... I have found I really miss the bubbles more then anything.  Make it pretty and make it taste good!!

Some people have posted about the La Croix sodas...I bought the grapefruit and hated it but that's me. I prefer to doctor it up myself. 

It DOES get better. Promise! I still want it but I am now at a place where I can   watch him drink it without plotting his death. 

Is is the actual diet coke you miss or the carbonation?  If it is the bubbles, I would say try and La Croix. Yes, I know not at all the same but it really helped me curb my need for sodas.  They make all kinds of flavors.  Just a thought.  And cravings suck!

La Croix, yes! I used to have them at my work. I will have to put in a request for them. I think I miss the caffeine, tbh. I have not been drinking as much coffee because I can't just suck it down like I used to without the cream and stevia. If I drink coffee after 3-4pm, I have problems sleeping, so the DC offered a caffeine compromise. Oh well, I guess I will have to suck it up and just try to be motivated in those afternoon luls without it!

I hear ya on the caffiene. I could mainline the stuff.

I usually do 3 shots of espresso in the morning. Then in the afternoon I alternate green tea with club soda. Black tea has even more of a kick if you need it. 

I used to drink coffee all day up until lunch then switched to diet coke. At least I didn't have to give up sugar/cream. I went to black coffee a long time ago. Whew. I couldn't have done that during a w30! Too many vices at once!

My diet soda consumption has gone up and down over the years, from ~3 cans per week to 4-5 per day...but I did drink the stuff my entire life (Diet Coke w/Lime and Diet Mt. Dew.....mmmmmmmm.......). It was definitely the hardest thing to give up when I made this diet change. After my W30 last January, I allowed it to creep back in multiple times. I wasn't paying close attention at first, but by summer I finally noticed that every single time I had a can, I would develop a mild but annoying headache that would last off and on for 2-3 days, and often I would feel more tired than usual. I finally kicked the habit in August, for good. I did one experiment with a sucralose-sweetened soda, and it did not have the same side effects...but it also didn't taste very good. :unsure: So I'm totally done with fake sweeteners. And yes, I'm still grieving a little bit too. I often stare wistfully at the soda machine at work...

• 2 weeks later...

I miss Dr Pepper.  I am on my 2nd Whole30 and after my first when I tasted the Dr Pepper all I tasted was chemicals and I didn't miss it too much but over time it started tasting right again.  I would say I didn't learn anything on my first whole30 and hope this time I do learn.

Archived