First Timer-Whole30 starts Monday 1/20!

misskrissy27

Hello!!  My name is Kristine and I'm starting the Whole30 next Monday 1/20!  I'm super excited and looking forward to this journey.  I have had some friends do this and have great success!  I'm hoping the same for myself.  I LOVE carbs!  Chips, french fries, cereal, OH and BEER...you name it, I love it.  I'm very active and luckily haven't had much of a weight problem.  My problem is consistency.  I do SO well for a year...then fall off the wagon...get back on for a while, fall off again.  I'm hoping this will kick start me into making better food choices, and with my activity level...make my life, long and healthy.  So any input, pointers, or just comments are more than welcome!  Thanks in advance eveyrone!  Cheers!

K

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, Kristine! My advice would be to START NOW. You'll wish you would have. I am on day 9, and the struggle has never been more real. I am a carb junkie as well and this has been the hardest thing I've ever done. If you are going to wait until Monday, BE PREPARED! Make sure you have gone shopping and have a solid, written plan. You can do it!

Welcome to the party! Read the rules then read "Can I Have" and then read them again.  

Read labels very carefully even stuff that you know doesn't have non compliant ingredients.Many foods that you think are clean are not. For example tuna may have soy in it, tea may have soy or stevia in them, chicken broth may have sugar, honey, gluten. Almond or Coconut milk may have sugar and carageenan. Have some quick go to meals. You will need these for the days that you are so tired that you don't want to make anything. Check out "The Clothes Make The Girl" blog. She has some great ideas for prepping food on one day so you have quick meals for the week. She also has some great recipes. Check out "Nom Nom Paleo" blog. She also has some excellent recipes. 

When you need a good laugh check out the "crazy things people say" forum. http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/2858-the-crazy-things-people-say/?hl=%2Bcrazy+%2Bthings+% . Good Luck!

I will be starting Monday the 20th as well! This is also my first time! I am so excited, and I must admit it is pretty motivating to know that a few others are starting that exact day, its like I won't be all alone in the world! Best of Luck!!

I hesitate to say I'll be starting Monday as well, but *soon*. Have to get home from our trip and clean out my pantry and fridge. I'm pretty good about avoiding most of the things in the house for my husband, but I'm making him take this journey too, so no more chips or wine in the evening. The hardest thing for him might be giving up the yogurt in the morning. That's his breakfast.

This will be my second Whole 30, I did my first one last August (it was a Whole 33 really). I am extremely excited, have everything ready, my kitchen is clean, my fridge is clean, my freezer is packed with emergency meals like riced cauli, mashed cauli, creams and soups (everything from Well Fed 1 and 2 of course). And I'm signing up for K.O. lessons today. Bring it on!!!!  :D

Oh yay!  I'm so glad there are others starting the journey the same day!  We'll all have to share our pros/cons, etc.  I am using this time to get prepared!  Not only mentally, but food wise.  I have my lists together, some meal planning and have even recruited a friend to do it with me.  I bought the book last night.  Part of the reason i'm waiting until Monday is becasue I am going out of town this weekend for a friend's birthday and I haven't seen her in quite some time...so wine may make an appearence.  I wanted to be completely prepared and ready for it.  So my plane ride will be a great time to read the book.  One thing I am a bit worried about is recipes...anyone have a "go to" recipe for dinner?  Thanks everyone! 

So, did a pretty hefty FIRST Whole30 grocery shop.  Never knew I really liked yams...Hello, YUM!  I was pleasently suprised and that in itself gives me hope and I know I can do this!  Also...was looking at coconut milk, mind you I was at Wegmans, but couldn't find any without added sugar.  I am going to Whole Foods Monday evening, hoping I can find some there.  Oh and was wondering...on the Whole30 shopping list guide, I didn't see clementines on there, but saw oranges and tangerines...we can't have clementines?  I have a huge bag of them at home!  Hope everyone has a great day!

K

So, did a pretty hefty FIRST Whole30 grocery shop.  Never knew I really liked yams...Hello, YUM!  I was pleasently suprised and that in itself gives me hope and I know I can do this!  Also...was looking at coconut milk, mind you I was at Wegmans, but couldn't find any without added sugar.  I am going to Whole Foods Monday evening, hoping I can find some there.  Oh and was wondering...on the Whole30 shopping list guide, I didn't see clementines on there, but saw oranges and tangerines...we can't have clementines?  I have a huge bag of them at home!  Hope everyone has a great day!

K

When you're at Whole Foods, check out their 365 brand coconut milk in a can. Last time I bought it, it was compliant.

The Whole30 shopping list is not an exhaustive list, so yes, you can have clementines.  :)  Just keep it within your allotment of 1-2 fruit servings per day, to have with or immediately after your meals.

Hey could someone answer this question for me please? Pretty please?

Here is the background info:

During my first Whole 30, I had several sweet potato fritters for breakfast (just counted them: 10 in 34 days!). I got the recipe from a Whole 9 moderator (http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/427-sweet-potato-fritters-and-my-breakfast-of-champions/?hl=%2Bsweet+%2Bpotato+%2Bfritter), but I've also been reading a lot of comments about how it's just a pancake (http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/10606-swypo-but-maybe-not/page-2?hl=%2Bsweet+%2Bpotato+%2Bfritter#entry107519). The only difference I see, technically, is that the fritter doesn't have any coconut flour. But I agree that they both look the same, and I also think that my psychological response to it was "yay, it's like a pancake in my plate!". So I've already made my decision, I will be eliminating them completely from this next Whole 30 I'll be starting on Monday. But my question is: did eating those fritters mess up my first Whole 30? It's just... had I known, I would have never had them!  :(

I'm staying positive, no matter the response I get: this Whole 30 will be just amazing, and I think I will kick my sugar dragon's ASS!  :ph34r:  :D

Hey could someone answer this question for me please? Pretty please?

Here is the background info:

During my first Whole 30, I had several sweet potato fritters for breakfast (just counted them: 10 in 34 days!). I got the recipe from a Whole 9 moderator (http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/427-sweet-potato-fritters-and-my-breakfast-of-champions/?hl=%2Bsweet+%2Bpotato+%2Bfritter), but I've also been reading a lot of comments about how it's just a pancake (http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/10606-swypo-but-maybe-not/page-2?hl=%2Bsweet+%2Bpotato+%2Bfritter#entry107519). The only difference I see, technically, is that the fritter doesn't have any coconut flour. But I agree that they both look the same, and I also think that my psychological response to it was "yay, it's like a pancake in my plate!". So I've already made my decision, I will be eliminating them completely from this next Whole 30 I'll be starting on Monday. But my question is: did eating those fritters mess up my first Whole 30? It's just... had I known, I would have never had them!  :(

I'm staying positive, no matter the response I get: this Whole 30 will be just amazing, and I think I will kick my sugar dragon's ASS!  :ph34r:  :D

Ok, this is just my opinion- I'm sure others will weigh in on this. 

The recipe is compliant, so if it's just a way to get veges into your meal, I say: Go for it! That said, if you really are looking at it and saying "yay, it's like a pancake on my plate", then you may not want to include that during your Whole 30. I look at Whole 30 as being a reset for both my body and also my mind (I know, so deep!). To train myself to look at it as meals 1,2, & 3, instead of breakfast, lunch, & dinner. To train myself that foods are to nourish, not necessarily to comfort. 

I started on the 13th, and like you, I am also hoping to kick my sugar dragon's ass!!  ;)

Thank you for your input! Oh so you're on day 4 then... So are you getting the KILL ALL THE THINGS symptoms?

I just re-read the timeline for like the 20th time... It's SO darn funny!

http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/

I loved what you said about resetting both our bodies and our minds, that's very true! I think I'm going to re-read ISWF too.

Here's to success!!  :D

I agree that it didn't ruin your previous W30...I mean you got what you got out of it right? But I also agree that if you are looking at those and going "mmmmm pancakes" that leaving them out this time around is a good idea. Each round of W30 is about refining what we have already learned and reinforcing the good things. 

Hi, I am starting today also! I tried whole 30 once before and unfortunately did not make it through. I am determined that I will do it this time. One of the things that I am doing, is making sure that I have plenty of home cooked whole 30 meals so I don't have to depend on eating out. However, if I do have to eat out I am going to be more prepared in knowing what the choices are so that I can make the right choice. 

We can all do this  :D

@yawaii36, I think that having pre-made w30 meals ready at home is a total must, excellent idea. I am actually such a control freak, that during my first w30 I didn't eat out -AT ALL! A bit extreme I know -and not always possible. 

Anyways, best of luck!!  :D

I'm scared to eat out!  This is day one for me and going well so far ( I know long road ahead).  I planned out my whole day of meals and going back to the grocery store tonight.  I didn't buy much fruit last time being I was out of town all weekend in cold Buffalo.  I've eaten my breakfast and lunch and not hungry, yet.  I usually would've had two snacks by now.  Planning I think is the KEY!  Good luck!!!!  We'll all get through it together!  Yippee!

So how did everyone's Day 1 go?  Mine was pretty good!  Woke up today HUNGRY and with a minor headache...that's about it.  It's about lunch time, me and my tummy are ready for lunch!  I went to Trader Joe's last night, I cannot find bacon that is compliant there or at Wegmans...I'm thinking in the ingredients, if it says raw sugar...that's not compliant, so I didn't get it.  Also, never heard of Turbinado sugar...so I didn't get that one either.  Where do you get your bacon, if any?  Also, all the coconut milk at Trader Joe's had carrageenan in it, boooo!  Here's to Day 2!!!  :D

Archived