Coming back to Paleo after strep/flu

Hi,

I never expected to post here, even though I get a lot of great info, I am usually a lurker. But, the past week threw a wrench into my new lifestyle!

Last Tuesday I came down with a bad illness. Didn't get a 100% diagnosis but I think it was strep. The first day I came home from work at lunch with a fever of 102 and went to bed for 16 hours, getting up once to have ramen noodles. After that, I pretty much lived on apple juice and ginger ale for three days. I tried to incorporate small bits of whole food to see if I could keep it down (sweet potatoes, bananas), but found that small things like toast to keep me satisfied without..... coming out the other end.

I did my whole30 from the day after Thanksgiving thru December 28th. I was feeling pretty good about how I'd done, was learning some good things through my reintroductions, and then I got totally wiped out with this illness. I never did reintroduce beans.

To add to this, I have been diagnosed in the past with heartburn/IBS. My main reason for doing the whole30 was to cleanse my body of the toxins of processed foods that have been hurting my belly and sending me on long, embarrassing trips to the bathroom.

My question is, have I botched my whole30? I really wanted to take this opportunity to eliminate the toxins that had built up in my body from processed foods and wheat, to see if I could add back in some things that have been giving me trouble lately that I really used to love (garlic, mushrooms, etc). I am worried that these few days of wheat will have just added fresh bad bacteria that I spent a month trying to get rid of.

Should I do another whole30? Or a shorter whole7? Or maybe just play it by ear?

I wasn't sure if this was the right thread either, if it gets moved, sorry for the trouble!

Thanks for listening, if anyone has any advice I would appreciate it.

Hi,

I never expected to post here, even though I get a lot of great info, I am usually a lurker. But, the past week threw a wrench into my new lifestyle!

Last Tuesday I came down with a bad illness. Didn't get a 100% diagnosis but I think it was strep. The first day I came home from work at lunch with a fever of 102 and went to bed for 16 hours, getting up once to have ramen noodles. After that, I pretty much lived on apple juice and ginger ale for three days. I tried to incorporate small bits of whole food to see if I could keep it down (sweet potatoes, bananas), but found that small things like toast to keep me satisfied without..... coming out the other end.

I did my whole30 from the day after Thanksgiving thru December 28th. I was feeling pretty good about how I'd done, was learning some good things through my reintroductions, and then I got totally wiped out with this illness. I never did reintroduce beans.

To add to this, I have been diagnosed in the past with heartburn/IBS. My main reason for doing the whole30 was to cleanse my body of the toxins of processed foods that have been hurting my belly and sending me on long, embarrassing trips to the bathroom.

My question is, have I botched my whole30? I really wanted to take this opportunity to eliminate the toxins that had built up in my body from processed foods and wheat, to see if I could add back in some things that have been giving me trouble lately that I really used to love (garlic, mushrooms, etc). I am worried that these few days of wheat will have just added fresh bad bacteria that I spent a month trying to get rid of.

Should I do another whole30? Or a shorter whole7? Or maybe just play it by ear?

I wasn't sure if this was the right thread either, if it gets moved, sorry for the trouble!

Thanks for listening, if anyone has any advice I would appreciate it.

I wouldn't consider it botched.  I think your idea to do a Whole7 is good as a starting point. See how you feel after 7 days of 100% Whole30 compliance.  If you want to keep going, do so. If not, reintro legumes and then decide how you want to ride your own bike.

Archived